Upcoming trip to England

Search

Upcoming trip to England

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2007, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upcoming trip to England

We're planning a 10 day trip to England.

The difficulty? Due to the length of time it took to get passports (and we started getting documents together in January!), we just received them a few days ago...and we want to leave on the 5th of July. I made no plans before because I'd read so many horror stories about passports and was afraid even trip insurance wouldn't cover lost deposits and such.

I've been through the boards here and I've ordered a good deal of information, most of which should be in my hot little hands by the beginning of next week, but I'd like to try to get lodging, at least, done if I can.

We plan to start the trip in London. We're first-time visitors to the UK. We aren't shoppers. We mostly plan on focusing on historical sites and museums, including several probably every first-time tourist and his uncle wants to see.

We would like to move out of London after about 6 days and go farther north (I, for one, would like to see York; we'd both like to see Edinburgh.) However, if that's going to be impossible or make us skimp, we're flexible.

I'm late 30's; my husband is early 40's, we're traveling alone, and we're both in very good physical shape and enjoy walking. Haven't set the full trip budget yet, but I'd like to hit no more than 100-150 pounds per night for lodging, if I can.

My questions are:

First, is this really a doable trip to plan and do well, given the limited time I have to do it in? This is my first time out of the country, although I'm a good and pretty well organized frequent traveler States-side.

Second: I've seen the London Sightseeing Pass advertised on a site recommended here. Given that we will be attending several of the locations I see listed, is it worth the price?

Third: Is Central London the best location to begin looking for lodging, or elsewhere?

I'm continuing to comb the boards for more information; you guys have already been a huge help. Any more information you can provide on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

~Elizabeth
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 08:02 PM

Elizabeth, how exciting that you are getting to go on your trip!

Do you have 10 days for touring, or does that include travel days?

Many people will recommend Priceline for London hotels. Another frequent recommendation is to get a flat. I would definitely stay in Central London. We've found weekend hotel specials that help keep the average price down. We've stayed most often at the Holiday Inn Mayfair, at an average rate of around £135/night (AAA rate).

From what I've gathered, the Pass is rarely a good deal. Many of the top London museums are free (with suggested donation): British Museum, National Gallery, National Portrait Gallery, Victoria & Albert, Tate Britain, Tate Modern...

You should each get a 7 day travelcard loaded onto an Oyster, which will cover transportation on the tube and bus.

York is 2 hours by train; Edinburgh 4 hours (both much longer if driving). Are you flying into and out of London? Open jaw (into London and out of Edinburgh or Glasgow) would be much easier.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 09:01 PM

Highly recommend a look at www.biddingfortravel.com and considering Priceline for your hotel room in London. You can save a fortune and stay in a nice property.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 09:19 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Do you already have your flights? If so, where are flying in to and out of?

If you mean 10 days "on the ground", a VERY reasonable itinerary would be 6 days in London, train to York for 2 days/nights. Train to Edinburgh for 2 days/nights. Fly home from Edinburgh.

(If you only have 8 days in England plus 2 travel days - then 5 days London, 1 day York, 2 days Edinburgh works)

I definitely recommend Priceline and biddingfortravel for London. You will want to be in central London and w/ PL you can get a 4 star for around $100.

I'd recommend this place in Edinburgh - probably the best located B&B in the city. But they are VERY popular and book pretty full year round so I'd contact them ASAP. http://www.castleviewgh.co.uk/
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 03:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the congrats and the great advice!

I know, I'm stunned and thrilled we're getting to go! I was starting to think my passport pic had scared the processors. I'm even more pleased to see that (unlike my usual run-us-to-death plans) that it all looks workable within the time we have.

We're using frequent flyer miles through AA for the tickets. The flight out is at 6:20 p.m., DFW to ORD to LHR, arriving at 11:25 a.m. on the 6th.

Since Edinburgh looks doable, the return flight is an open-jaw, with a BA flight at 7 a.m. from EDI to LHR, and then from LHR to JFK, and from JFK to DFW.

I know that looks like extra days, but I figured since we'd actually arrive on the 6th, and we'd be lagged and tired, we'd really be up for stuff on the 7th, so planned accordingly, and we'll get 10 full touring days. Woot!

Re: the London Pass -- I'd wondered. The main advantage I could see was the 'jumping the queue' for places like the Tower (the only definite destination I know we'll agree on without getting to look at the guidebooks), but I have no idea how long the average wait time for a tour is.

Thanks for the advice on the travel pass! Is there a site I should go to for purchase, or is that going to be something we have to do there? Also hadn't run across the term 'Oyster' yet -- assuming this is a card or pass of some kind.

The Edinburgh B&B looks *gorgeous*. Going to give them a shot right away, and Priceline and biddingfortravel, too.

Should we look into renting a car in York and Edinburgh, or no? I'm trying to avoid driving if we can, partially so we don't mess up the driving, and partially so we can both look and enjoy.

Thanks again, everyone. Fodorites rule!

~Elizabeth

Old Jun 9th, 2007, 04:31 AM

just some quick answers -

You don't need a car in either York or Edinburgh. If you were going to be in either place longer then, yes a car would be good for exploring the countryside. But w/ such brief visits you won't need one at all

The Oyster is just the name of the London transit tickets. Don't EVEN try to figure out all the various options. An Oyster is a plastic card that holds whatever transit money you store on it - sort of like a gift card. You buy it in any tube station in London. A weekly travel card loaded on an Oyster is what you will want (even for just 5 or 6 days)

To jump the queue you can buy tickets to the Tower in a tube station before you go there - and just arriving right before opening time also lessens the lines. You really don't have to wait for a Beefeater's tour - they run all day long. Arrive early, go <u>directly</u> to the Jewel House to see the Crown Jewels, and then return to near the entrance to catch the next tour. If you wait to see the jewels there will be VERY long lines, but by going there first you will virtually have them to yourself.
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

janisj -

You're a gem. I just thought (d'oh, but the caffeine shock troops haven't hit the brain just yet) to search 'Oyster' through the boards, and you said exactly what I was about to ask! I did catch the part about the additional charge if it's less than 7 days, at least.

Will definitely do on the Tower. The jewels are part of what we want to see, but being a history buff, I definitely want to see the rest. Glad to hear we won't need to drive, either.

I read on the boards in passing a reference to an international driving permit -- if on the off chance something changes on the itinerary and we *must* drive, do we need one?

Thanks again for your patience. It's very much appreciated.

~Elizabeth
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 05:36 AM

You should check out the 2 for 1 offer that is available through National Rail, and can be used by anyone with a rail ticket - a 7 day travelcard qualifies (just keep your receipt). You print out the coupons and take them with you. These save a lot of money for some of the more expensive of London's attractions. You need to use the regular ticket lines to get the 2 for 1 admission, but you save a LOT of money.
http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/

We used the 2 for 1 for the Tower and for Cabinet War Rooms on our most recent visit, but there are lots more listed on the site.
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 05:40 AM

Elizabeth --

You've gotten very good advice so far.

Like others have said, you do NOT need a car. Riding on the train to York and Edinburgh from London is very pleasant and stress-free. I've done it many times. There's food on board, as well as good scenery out the windows.

A car is not only unnecessary, it's also extremely stressful and nerve-wracking, especially for a first-time UK visitor.

Keep it simple, stick to trains. You won't regret it.

You will love all three cities and I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. Have fun.
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 06:09 AM

just about the IDP if you do rent a car for a day trip or something - it is simply a translation of your own driver's license so no, you don't need one for the UK.
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 06:35 AM

You will love England! Just a few things:

1. Buy a 7-day Travelcard. You'll also be able to get 2 for 1 deals at various London attractions such as Tower of London, Westminister Abbey, etc if you check out http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/

2. If you're budget conscious, doesn't hurt to check out http://www.travelodge.co.uk/ if you don't really care about the type of place you stay in. They have 26 pound rates for their rooms if booked early (or if you're lucky). I would recommend them.

3. Don't buy the Sightseeing Pass. As others have said, many museums are free in London. You'll probably only pay for 2 or 3 attractions (i.e. Tower of London) which is where the Travelcard comes in handy!

4. If not a Travelodge, I would recommend Hyde Park Rooms. They're a small B&amp;B (that I stayed in for 3 nights) that are a 2 minutes walk from Paddington. A full English breakfast comes with the booking and they are absolutely fantastic. Great location, great price, great people! Google them!

I actually just returned from London a few days ago and the weather was beautiful, the people were great and I had a fantastic time returning to the city I love!
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 08:18 AM

not a thing wrong w/ Hyde Park Rooms or travelodge's in London. But the reason we recommended Priceline -- London is one of the best cities anywhere for PL.

So instead of the (nice) Travelodge in Covent Garden w/ July rates around &pound;110-&pound;115 per night, one can get a 4 star property for around $100. Makes a HUGE difference
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 08:51 AM

Hello: I am off July 2 for 3 weeks to England and Wales. Suggestion: Contact Rhodes Hotel, Sussex Gardens near Paddington Station rates around 80 - 100 pounds sterling per night with breakfast, has air conditioning as well. Great location and I understand very nice hosts.

If you take the train back to London or to London you can get a 2 for 1 deal for theatre tickets, dinner, sights, etc.
(go to National Rail).

I just found out I can't purchase my train tickets from Canada on-line. I wanted to get discount advanced tickets ahead of time, but can't be done. I sent email to national rail to ask? However, someone suggested Rover Tickets, but this are quite expensive. I suggest, if you are travelling a lot look at Britrail or take the express (bus) to save money.

Train is good they say, but it does have delays due to repairs to the rail, etc. You may go so far and then be placed on a bus to take you to a junction where you pick your next train up. Check this out carefully if travelling any distance. At least the bus is pretty dependable, I have heard. I have never stayed at a B*B, but the Rhodes Hotel looks good and the price is 'right' for sure. Tell them Cynthia sent you.

Have a terrific time.

Old Jun 12th, 2007, 10:33 AM

boomers: Britrail really doesn't pay for most visitors. It takes a lot of journesy to make it worthwhile.

When you say you can't buy train tix from Canada - I think you are mistaken. You do need a UK postal code - but you can just use the address of your hotel.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 11:51 AM

boomers, I use my billing address in the US and the post code from my UK hotel and it has worked for me.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 11:58 AM

Going by car or train?

You can forget about London sightseeing Pass IMO - rare bird that would realize it let alone someone who will be there a short time. Many museums are free anyway.

But the Great British Heritage pass can be a boon for traveling in Britain - good at nearly all castles, stately houses, all the Shakespeare Properties in Stratford, - castles like Edinburgh about $20 a pop so the pass can quickly pay for itself. Google British Heritage Pass or in the US CALL bets 800-441-2387 as they don't have the usual draconic mailing fee RailEurope does though they work thru them. Way pound has gone up it may be cheaper here or there. Only sold in London i believe at BTA near Piccadilly British Travel Authority but not sure. There are similar passes sold by English Heritage and Trust but none so comprehensive as British Heritage pass i think - not too useful in London but it does cover St Paul's ($15) - Shakespeare's Globe $18 and few other things. But if driving with the pass you would not hesitate to go into some stately home you drive by buty may balk if you have to pay $20 just to enter - typical fee it seems.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 05:49 AM

I think the problem is that I have to use the my own home address in Canada if I use my credit card to reserve the train tickets. If I can reserve train using hotel address in London, where can I pick up my tickets once I arrive in England? At a train station say at Gatwick/Heathrow???

Need to know as I would like to benefit from advance reservations using the train and we leave July 1st.

Many many thanks, please reply and guide me to the train tx opportunities.

By the way, anyone know of an inexpensive calling card to use on the public tele system in britain to call home to Canada/U.S.???

Will not be using a cell phone.

Old Jun 13th, 2007, 05:57 AM

boomers, as I said above, when I buy train tickets online I use my <u>home address</u> but the postcode I use is of my UK hotel. Has worked several times, with no problem from the credit card company. When I order the train tickets, I specify that I want to pick them up at a specific station on a particular day.

Also for calling cards, the news agents sell several types - usually 500 minutes for around 5GBP. I always buy them in the tube station news agents.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 09:16 AM

Great information. Many thanks--

Do you know anything about Reading Station? We were thinking of taking the train from Gatwick to Bristol. You have to change at Reading. Is it fairly easy with luggage or would you recommend the coach as there are no changes whatsoever? I would prefer train, but don't want to hassle with luggage. We are traveling light, but can't walk up too many steps with luggage in hand.

Any advice?
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 09:25 AM

Reading station is fairly small - a few platforms so the change is a snap

Buses in UK are cheap but can take much longer and are to me much more cramped than on trains where you can get up and walk around - and on trains you can see out both sides - much better view of merry ole England IMO

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -