Search

Day trip to Tivolli - Villa D'Este

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2012, 12:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day trip to Tivolli - Villa D'Este

Hi All

After some advice on whether or not to do a day trip to Villa D'Este.

Normally, with only 5 days in Rome I wouldnt even think about it ... but Rome is at the end of a 6 week trip through France and Italy .. with a 6 yr old.

So I was thinking perhaps a day trip where we can sit quietly on a bus for a while ... then just get out and wander/run around and look at fountains and the villa ... might be nice.

Is it an easy day? (thinking an organised tour, not DIY)

Rome doesnt seem especially kid friendly, so am looking for something a little easier for a day for the little one
Old May 19th, 2012, 03:12 AM

It was a pretty easy day. There are several posts here on how to do it by public transportation. Here's what I wrote in my trip report:

"Metro Line B to Pont Mammalo station which is the bus terminal for the Cotral buses. Easy to see where to buy tickets (2€) and we got the return ones at the same time. The display board listed buses to Tivoli about every ten minutes. There were people waiting at the platform but the bus was not full and we got seats. The bus makes a ton of stops, is not air conditioned and the scenery was pretty boring but it was not complicated or confusing at all. The driver announced “Villa Adrianna” but it was not obvious where you would walk to get there. Just after that stop the bus goes up a big hill, and vistas open up on both sides. A couple more stops and then it’s obvious you are at Piazza Garibaldi. There were signs directing you to the Villa d’Este and it was a five minute walk. When we were ready to return we looked on the opposite side of the piazza and saw a bus stop sign and within five minutes a bus came along that said Roma on it."

There is more info about Tivoli in my report - http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...rful-weeks.cfm

There are a lot of steps and I'm not sure how interesting a six year old might find it though. I would plan it for the end of your stay and if you are enjoying Rome itself you can just not go.
Old May 19th, 2012, 03:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would get on one of the several organized tours and do it that way what with the kiddo in tow. Many of those trips combine the Villa with a visit to the Hadrian "complex" and that required some walking around.
Old May 19th, 2012, 03:51 AM

We were driving but Isabel has explained very well how to get there. I would just like to say that Tivoli Gardens are absolutely mind boggling. I didn't have children with me but it was obvious that the kids loved it. There are so many fountains and so much water that I'm sure how six-year old would have a wonderful time. You can check out photos on my blog by using Tivoli as the search word. aussieinfrance.com
Old May 19th, 2012, 09:01 AM

Here are a couple of posts that might also assist you on your day-trip to Tivoli and Villa Adriana - plenty of photos and train/bus instructions. You'll have a wonderful time:

http://tinyurl.com/tivoli-daytrip http://tinyurl.com/adriana-villa
Old May 19th, 2012, 09:05 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
This link has directions with pictures of the various stations/ticket kiosks, etc.
http://www.roninrome.com/%20sites-an...li-villa-deste

http://www.roninrome.com/sites-and-a...-villa-adriana
Old May 19th, 2012, 11:05 AM

Hubs and I actually did it in an afternoon. We were at Vatican on a rainy a.m. and emerged to sun. My notes only say bus #40 to Termini to metro to end of metro to bus. So I'm sure above info is much better.

We preferred Tivoli to Hadrian's Villa area but that's just a personal opinion.
Old May 19th, 2012, 12:23 PM

It has been a while but we did a day trip on our own using public transportation with a 6 and 9 yr old in tow. It was pretty easy using public transportation. I recommend getting your return bus tickets when you make your initial purchase. It was nice getting away from the craziness of Rome for a day and both of our children LOVED all of the fountains.

I found Rome pretty child friendly, but if my boys can eat pizza and gelato every day they are happy travelers.
Old May 19th, 2012, 12:51 PM

Our grandkids loved Tivoli, with the fountains and, as a bonus, lots of cats. they were four and eight at the time, so your 6 year old fits in. I agree Hadrian's Villa would not be as much fun for a kid.
Old May 19th, 2012, 02:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Newbie,

my only caveat would be that when we went in april, even then it was hot on the bus and it's about an hour or so.

with a 6 year old in tow, I think that I would try to find an organised trip with a nice air-conditioned coach.
Old May 19th, 2012, 02:53 PM

Definitely recommend the day trip, kids and water fountains go together. We (seniors) have been twice and each time we took the guided bus tour, the last time, we were so rushed by the guide, we hardly had time to see the fountains. If possible, I would not subject a 6 yr old to that kind of pace. The reason to go is to take your time to see and enjoy all the different fountains at your own pace and take oddles of photographs. So if possible, take the public bus.
Old May 20th, 2012, 03:00 AM
Original Poster

thanks. you have convinced me.

a trip to Tivolli it is

Old May 20th, 2012, 05:10 AM

Not sure is you are on tight budget....Context Rome offers small group tours and personalized tours. You might consider them for private transportation to Villa D'Este for the day. On a personalized tour you could choose to skip Hadrian's Villa if it isn't suited for a 6 year old.
Old Aug 1st, 2012, 10:19 AM

Bookmarking -- Just watched the opening scenes of Three Coins in a Fountain! Now considering it as a day-trip. But an hour on the bus plus the metro does not sound particularly fun.