Buying car in the Netherlands

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2018, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I'm an Australian with dual citizenship (born in the Netherlands). Planning on living and travelling in Europe for a year or more in the future. If I have a Dutch passport and address will there be any problems buying, registering and insuring a car?Will I need to get Dutch driver's license or can I use my Australian license with an "international license"? Once I have a car, are there any issues staying in other countries for extended periods? I know that if I am in Denmark for more than, I think, two weeks that I will need to register the car and pay tax there. Are there any similar issues in other European countries?

regards,
Mick
Old Jul 20th, 2018, 03:40 PM

Those questions for definitive advice are best addressed to the Dutch or Danish Consulates down under.
Old Jul 20th, 2018, 05:50 PM

If you have a residence in the Netherlands you should be able to buy a car. I've no idea how easy it is to setup a residence. In some EU countries it's more involved than others.

EU citizens can drive there cars for six months of the year in other EU countries. Broken up in three month blocks. At least that's the law. You'll find people that move and never change their plates. At least until somebody stops them.

Insurance you risk being classed a new driver and paying top €€€.

You should look for an expat forum.
Old Jul 21st, 2018, 12:55 AM

Need to change your DL over.
https://www.eindhoven.nl/en/city-and...anging-foreign
You may not be able to get insurance either until you have exchanged it.
https://www.expatica.com/nl/about/bu...s_1986046.html
If you have any more questions look for an "ex-pat forum" they can help with the nitty gritty. This forum is really about vacations rather than moving countries.
Old Jul 21st, 2018, 01:40 AM

How do you have dual citizenship? the Dutch don't normally allow that.

You cannot drive for more than 6 months on a foreign licence.
You will need a Burger Service nummer, an address (fixed) and be registered with the gemeente of the address before you can change your licence, buy a car or tax and insure it. The whole system is linked so you cannot buy a car and register it without you have all your ducks in a row.
You will also need Dutch health insurance, compulsory for all residents. You cannot spend more than three months out of six out of the netherlands and keep that health insurance.
Go to the Dutch governmment sites where you can fins all the information you need, in English as well as Dutch.
Old Jul 21st, 2018, 01:46 AM

How do you have dual citizenship? the Dutch don't normally allow that.
They do and it could be complicated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_nationality_law
Old Jul 21st, 2018, 03:34 AM

They do allow dual citizenship under certain circumstances.

Getting a BSN is not an easy process, it's all very bureaucratic. And they will want you to pay any charges through IDEAL, which you can only do if you have a Dutch bank account.
Old Jul 21st, 2018, 06:48 AM

I know it is allowed in some circumstaces - I am a dual citizen, but they are reluctant to allow it in most cases, and are making it harder all the time. Dutch people who take another nationality are also hit and lose their Dutch passports.
Old Jul 21st, 2018, 06:50 AM

In any case it is a complicated thing for OP to do, and they should look at the Dutch government websites as I said. Pretty much everything is also available in English on there.
Old Jul 21st, 2018, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by hetismij2
I know it is allowed in some circumstaces - I am a dual citizen, but they are reluctant to allow it in most cases, and are making it harder all the time. Dutch people who take another nationality are also hit and lose their Dutch passports.
If you have one why make the comment? In fact it has been made easier over the years.
Old Jul 22nd, 2018, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

How do you have dual citizenship? the Dutch don't normally allow that..
Dutch by birth, took Australian Citizenship, but able to keep my Dutch citizenship because:
a. lived in Australia for more than five years whilst still a minor, and
b. took on the citizenship of my spouse

So I satisfy more than one of the requirements.

You cannot drive for more than 6 months on a foreign licence.
You will need a Burger Service nummer, an address (fixed) and be registered with the gemeente of the address before you can change your licence, buy a car or tax and insure it. The whole system is linked so you cannot buy a car and register it without you have all your ducks in a row.
You will also need Dutch health insurance, compulsory for all residents. You cannot spend more than three months out of six out of the netherlands and keep that health insurance.
Go to the Dutch governmment sites where you can fins all the information you need, in English as well as Dutch.
So I can't just take out travel insurance in Australia to cover me for health issues?
Also, regarding the six months on a foreign license, the (very vague) plan at this stage is 6 months in the Netherlands (Summer),6 months in Italy (winter), go home to Oz for Christmas, then 6 months in the UK and six months in Spain & Portugal. Chances are there will be a few other countries visited along the way so we're unlikely to be in any country for six whole months. Is there anywhere in Europe where buying and registering and insuring a car is bit simpler? Half of Europe's youth seems to come to Australia, buy a cheap car and travel around and there are very few impediments to this (although it does vary from state to state.

Mick
Old Jul 22nd, 2018, 06:03 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Do really need to own a car? Maybe look into one of the lease programs - you could do multiple leases. Or - since Public transport can get you to most places a combo of trains/buses and occasional short term rentals?
Old Jul 22nd, 2018, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by jmick
Dutch by birth, took Australian Citizenship, but able to keep my Dutch citizenship because:
a. lived in Australia for more than five years whilst still a minor, and
b. took on the citizenship of my spouse

So I satisfy more than one of the requirements.

So I can't just take out travel insurance in Australia to cover me for health issues?
Also, regarding the six months on a foreign license, the (very vague) plan at this stage is 6 months in the Netherlands (Summer),6 months in Italy (winter), go home to Oz for Christmas, then 6 months in the UK and six months in Spain & Portugal. Chances are there will be a few other countries visited along the way so we're unlikely to be in any country for six whole months. Is there anywhere in Europe where buying and registering and insuring a car is bit simpler? Half of Europe's youth seems to come to Australia, buy a cheap car and travel around and there are very few impediments to this (although it does vary from state to state.

Mick
Short answer: no. Australia is one country, with one set of laws. Every European country, even if they are in the EU has its own set of laws and regulations regarding this. Also agree with other posters: why do you think you'll absolutely need your own car? There's public transport, you can rent cars.. Again, Europe is very much unlike Australia. Other question: do you have a Dutch (i.e. EU) passport? Also, you can't just settle in NL for 6 months. Even if you have a Dutch passport. You'll have to register with the city office of records of the place where you settle.
Old Jul 22nd, 2018, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Tulips
They do allow dual citizenship under certain circumstances.

Getting a BSN is not an easy process, it's all very bureaucratic. And they will want you to pay any charges through IDEAL, which you can only do if you have a Dutch bank account.
And you can only have a Dutch bank account if you also have a Dutch street address.
Old Jul 22nd, 2018, 11:15 AM

I had similar questions and issues with trying to buy and insure a car in the uk, also dual passport Aus and UK. I ended up renting a car on a long term monthly rental with a local agency, leasing was more expensive. I can drive in uk for 12 months on Aussie licence, but even if I could find someone to insure me... Very few companies would...it was very expensive. I couldn't believe how difficult it was going to be to buy and insure a car over here. I kept thinking this can't be right, but it was, unfortunately. Good luck...
Old Aug 3rd, 2018, 03:22 AM

I would recommand you to look for cars in germany they are way cheaper.
Old Aug 3rd, 2018, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by charlielee1
I would recommand you to look for cars in germany they are way cheaper.
If he wants to drive it in NL and across Europe, he'll have the same administrative hassle.
Old Aug 3rd, 2018, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by menachem
If he wants to drive it in NL and across Europe, he'll have the same administrative hassle.
How?
http://germanexportplates.com/
https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...y/index_en.htm
Using German Export Plates to buy a car in Europe | No residency required | Wix.com
How one disposes of the car is a problem and I believe one cannot re enter Germany again.
Old Aug 3rd, 2018, 06:38 PM

Can't you rent a car for a long term with an international driver's license. We did that in Greece. Or lease a car? Why would yoi want to buy one for a relatively short term? Are you planning to ship it back to Australia?
Old Aug 3rd, 2018, 09:38 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Can't you rent a car for a long term with an international driver's license<<

1) there is no 'International Drivers License' -- there is an IDP which is used in conjunction with one's legit/home drivers license.

2) car rental are almost always limited to a short duration -- often 30 days but it varies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -