Trip to the West

Search

Trip to the West

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip to the West

My Husband and I have just booked our flights and part of our trip which will be a biking tour through Galway/Clifden/Letterfrack/Leenane/Cong

We are flying into Shannon on July 4th, meeting with our biking group in Galway on July 9th.

This is my husband's first trip to Ireland. I have been before, living in Leitrim for 4 years when I was younger (age 10 to 14)-- my father is from Leitrim and my mother from Kerry. This will be my first trip back in 20+ years.

Since our nights with our group are taken care of, I am trying to decide what we should do from July 4th - July 8th...do we go down to Kerry for a few days before making our way up to Galway? (I'd like to take my husband to see where my mother was born/raised (Kenmare, Co. Kerry)

Would it be too much to try to spend time in B&B's in Kerry/Limerick/Clare as we make our way up to Galway? Any suggestions for B&B's in/around Kenmare? Limerick City? Should we just head up towards Galway the day we arrive and spend a few days on the Aran Islands?
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 11:46 AM

Do go to Kenmare, one of my favorite small towns and beautiful scenery at your door steps. Really, just walk to the pier for beautiful scenery. I've stayed at The Lodge and it is very comfortable. If you post Kenmare in the search box, you'll find other b&b's Fodorites have stayed in.
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 03:40 AM

You probably arrive Shannon early in the morning of the fourth. I'm in a special category (i.e. septuagenarian) so I depend on Public Transportation.

From Shannon I would take BusEireann to Limerick City and another from Limerick City to Tralee. By the time you get there (about noon) you should be able to check-in to a B&B.

If you are driving, I would suggest a similar route but stopping in west Limerick (Newcastlewest) as a place called Killeline Leisure Park: as you approach Newcastlewest on the N-21 take the first left turn (before the Courtenay Lodge) take the right fork at the Texaco station and it's about 500m. http://www.killeline.com It's a good place to get over your jetlag.

Former Dail member: John McCoy is the proprietor of Mick McCoy's Sports Bar and the Golf Course. Kevin Doorien, formerly an assistant at the Legends Course in Myrtle Beach is the Head 'Pro.' And Killeline has a fully equipped Spa with a 20m eated indoor swimming pool. Midweek, you should be able to book an accomodation there, then continue to Kerry the next morning, totally refreshed.

Around Friday, July 8th, you'll want to take the Tarbert-Killimer ferry up to County Clare and maybe stop in Miltown Malbay or Lahinch or Doolin on the way to Galway City.
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both for the replies and suggestions. I've done a little more research and think we will follow this itinerary:

Land in Shannon on morning of July 4th.

Take bus from airport to Kenmare and stay 1 night (The Lodge does seem to have some fans although I cannot find it anywhere on the web? would you know if they have a website?)

Travel from Kenmare to Dingle for 2 nights (looking at either Emlagh Lodge or Cill Bhreac House). Is there public transportation from Kenmare to Dingle??

Take the Ferry from Dingle to the Aran Islands for 1 night (still figuring out where to stay on the islands)

Take ferry from Aran Islands to Galway and stay 1 night at St. Martin's B&B.

We meet up with our biking tour group on July 9th which will take up the rest of our trip with the exception of the last night before we fly back home (still trying to decide if we should spend our last night in Galway or head back down to Shannon)

If for some reason the Kenmare leg doesn't work out, the Killeline hotel recommended looks like a great place to stay and we may consider going to Limerick for a night or two and then on to Dingle, Aran Islands, etc...

Thank you both!
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 03:08 PM
CU

Have a look at www.shannonregiontourism.ie where you will find all the information you require for your holiday on 4th.
I think you will find www.irondonkey.com very interesting.
www.ireland.ie/getting_around.asp would also be useful.

Enjoy.
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 05:15 PM

I hate to be the one to bring this up, but I THINK there is a serious flaw in your trip plan.

"Take the Ferry from Dingle to the Aran Islands for 1 night (still figuring out where to stay on the islands)

Take ferry from Aran Islands to Galway and stay 1 night at St. Martin's B&B."

First of all, you are talking about HIGH SEASON. While one-way fares to/from the Arans MIGHT be possible, I would think getting off the island would be 'iffy' as they would need to be sold only as 'Space Available' and the boats could be quite full at that time of year. Still, I suppose it MIGHT be doable.
However, I have NEVER heard of a ferry that departs Dingle for the ARANS. There is the ferry that runs out to the Great Blasket, and we always talk about the Tarbert to Killimer Ferry over the Shannon River, but unless I am uninformed, the only Aran Island Ferries that I know of depart from either near Doolin, Co Clare, Rossaveal, Co Galway, or from the docks of Galway City. WERE THERE a ferry from Dingle, I would think it would be a LONG, ROUGH ride. Aer Arran flies out to the islands very reasonably, from the airport in Galway, so they MIGHT have a similar offer from the Kerry Airport in Farranfore, but I don't know for certain.
Please let me know if I am wrong about the Ferry, because if there IS one, I most certainly would like to know about it.

Bob
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 06:28 PM

norahe, I just google The Lodge Kenmare and it came right up.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 01:37 AM

http://www.thelodgekenmare.com is a link to Kenmare Lodge. I checked out the website and it looks really nice. I may have to put it on my places to go list.

I have to agree with Italian_Chauffeur concerning Dingle to the Aran Islands: You can't get there from there! Aran Is. Ferrys depart from Ross a'Veal (gateway to Connemara, west of Galway City), from Galway City (some tour operators bus you out to Spiddal or Ross a'Veal) and from Doolin (County Clare).

You won't get a BusEireann Shannon to Kenmare. You'll have to change buses at Limerick City & possibly again in Tralee.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 12:59 PM

norahe,

We loved Kenmare! We stayed at the Shelburne Lodge (it's about a 5 minute walk further from town than The Lodge, which is on the same road, but closer to town). The Shelburne Lodge was our favorite B&B in Ireland so far. Here's the website:

http://www.shelburnelodge.com/index.htm

Owner Maura Foley prepares wonderful breakfasts (I believe she originated the great restaurant in town, Packies).

To me, it sounds like too much traveling for a few days, I would choose either Kenmare or Dingle Town and settle down for a while. And while Dingle Town was nice, we really preferred small, charming Kenmare.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Itallian_Chauffer Bob,

You are correct. There is no Ferry from Dingle (I should have typed Doolin!) We are working out the "kinks" in our plan now...we may have to skip Dingle, spend an extra night in Kenmare, head back up to Galway and do a day trip to the Aran Islands. We weren't planning on renting a car so our transport would be via bus and Dingle doesn't seem to be an option. I think we will hop the bus from the Airport to Limerick (possibly stay a night) and then head to Kenmare for 2 nights, back on the bus to Limerick/Shannon/Galway spending 2 nights before our biking trip in Galway and doing day trip to Islands....still trying to figure out the transportation infrastructure to see what will work. Thank you for the correction!
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

CU/NEDSIRELAND/beach_dweller
Thank you for all the useful Links! We were just realizing that Dingle may not be an option on this trip and would therefore spend extra time in Kenmare (I still have relatives in Kilgarvin so we would take a quick trip to visit!)
Still working on the bus schedule (I knew I had to go through Limerick but didn't think we had to switch again in Tralee -- again still working out the dets) Does anyone know how long of a bus ride it is? (Shannon to Limerick, Limerick to Tralee, Tralee to Kenmare)? It sounds like this may take a full day! We may need to spend a night in Limerick to rest up after our flight!