Living in Brussels & Safety

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2010, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've browsed through a few previous questions on safety in Brussels and having traveled before, I understand that crime is everywhere. However, having said that, I still feel the need to ask a more direct question.

I'm a girl in her mid-twenties and will be living in Saint Josse ten Noode while completing an internship at the EU. Although I feel safe about my accommodations (large building with security card req. etc.), walking in the area alone is a concern to me since I've read some things stating that this particular neighborhood is not the safest.

I want to get to know the city since I'll be there a while, but the last thing I want is to risk undo harm.

Any opinions on this?
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 02:15 PM

Probably someone who is currently living in Brussels can contribute better here, but I lived in Brussels for a while and had a group of acquaintances who were living in a building in Saint Josse ten Noode. I think the nearest metro was Madou. While my friends all fared well, it wasn't comfortable walking in the area because we were told Madou was not especially safe. If you don't like taking the metro at night, take taxis - it's not prohibitively expensive.
I lived in Ixelles and while my neighbourhood was in my opinion pretty safe, I was followed off the bus one night and had to duck into a nearby cafe until the unsavoury character disappeared. I caught taxis at night from that time onwards and still went out plenty. I'd still maintain my neighbourhood was a good one, you just never can tell when a weirdo is around.

Lavandula
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 03:46 PM

I spent three months in Brussels as an intern at NATO in 2001. At the time, Saint Josse was a very scruffy area. I lived in the commune of Evere well to the north of the city center. Our bus downtown stopped at Saint Josse, and I always held on to my wallet as swarms of derelicts poured on and off the bus there. I never had any desire to get off and explore the neighborhood, either

That said, you probably won't be in any physical peril, but be mindful that you aren't in the safest neighborhood. As lavandula said, take taxis at night. They aren't that expensive, and Saint Josse isn't far from the city center.
Old Oct 26th, 2010, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

@Lavandula & Tippercanoe - thank you so much for the added info. I definitely didn't anticipate hearing as much about the dangers that seem to be alive and well in Brussels, but alas - it is better to aware.

I think a taxi will definitely be the way to go and perhaps staying with groups of friends rather than walking alone. Hopefully commuting to and from work shouldn't be as much of a problem!
Old Oct 26th, 2010, 02:15 PM

I wouldn't think anywhere in Brussels was so unsafe that you couldn't walk there by day - certainly some areas feel less safe but you shouldn't have any problem commuting, especially if you are vigilant. And I would never expect to see, for instance, people with guns or that level of public unsafety. I also think you won't spend much time exploring Saint Josse apart from maybe grocery shopping - it doesn't have anything in the way of tourist attractions, nor does it have bars that the EU stagiaires frequent. Hope you enjoy your time in Brussels!

Lavandula