LHR to Bloomsbury Sunday AM

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2013, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two Senior citizens arriving on a Sunday AM.
First time travelers to London.
So far my options seem to be Justairports car service for around $75 US or Piccadilly Line for estimate of $25 US. Since it will be a Sunday AM will we likely not find the Tube crowded... thus less of a hassle with our luggage? Russell Sq has elevators so that would be my get off stop choice, but we would still be a few blocks from hotel. Am I getting off on the wrong foot here by taking the Piccadilly tube to save $$? Car service I think was around 42 pounds?? Most stateside airports have 'shuttle' service via mini buses or vans for a much more reasonable price, often free, so I am unsure what to do? Are there other 'car services' to compare to Justairports? The $50 difference doesn't break the bank if it is the best option. My problem is I really not sure I understand all my options and the benefits of each? Suggestions? Thank you.
Old Aug 8th, 2013, 08:41 PM

Several points -

LHR is further away from London proper than many US airports are from their towns.

I do not know of any major US city that has a free or cheap shuttle from the airport to a downtown location. The only free big city shuttels are from airports to airport hotel
Properties, not to city hotels.

If you took a supershuttle for 2 in SF, NYC , ORD, or DC it would be at least $35 plus tip and in some cities more like $ 40-45. And SF at least is 1/2 the distance that LHR To London is.London IS more expensive anyway so best to get used to it.

The other option is the Heathrow connect - a slower version of the HeathrowxExpress- and cab from Paddington. Not much cost savings but might be a bit.
Old Aug 8th, 2013, 10:35 PM

There are no free or cheap shuttles to central London from Heathrow. Your best options are the car service or the tube. Getting on a Heathrow, which is the first couple stops on the line, you should have no trouble getting seats and putting your luggage in the space for it. Its up to you what you want to pay.

The Heathrow Express is pricey and doesnt go where you need it to so I would not use that.
Old Aug 9th, 2013, 12:30 AM

I don't know how old you are but my parents took the Tube to Russell Square and had no problems(they're in there late 60s). Unless you are in poor health or have a lot of luggage, the Tube is cheapest and easiest. FYI, I believe there are steps from Russell Sq. platform to elevators.
Old Aug 9th, 2013, 12:41 AM

I agree with jamikins, given where you're going don;t bother with the Heathrow Express. I almost always take the tube into central London. I think it's a no brainer if you're comfortable wheeling your luggage and if there's an elevator at Russell Square. Antoher advantage is that you can get your Oyster card at the airport which means you'll be ready to go once you get into London.
Old Aug 9th, 2013, 12:41 AM

We've done all 3 routes,and spend the ,money and take just airports. After a all night flight, and lugging luggage at the airpor my 75 year old body demands comfort and ease. Justairports is great and worth he money. Tubes that say no steps may mean the main steps but often it is a long walk to the escalators and several minor steps along the way.
Old Aug 9th, 2013, 02:21 AM
P_M

I was in my 30's when I took the tube from LHR into London and frankly I wouldn't do it again. I think Just Airports is worth the money, especially after a long flight.
Old Aug 9th, 2013, 03:27 AM
Original Poster

Flight will be an overnighter from Newark. I've been advised to get a Travelcard at rail station (Euston) after we get in so we can use the 2-4-1 special. Wasn't going to get OYSTER since it might be for just a single trip.
Just Airports seems to have a lock on the business. Any other car service companies I might consider? Does Just Airports work on a "by reservation" system only? Or could I book the service on arrival at the airport? If you book as a couple does the booking stay that way or would they combine bookings going in the same direction using a bigger vehicle? Would J-Airports be a lot faster on a Sunday AM to British Museum area? Dumb question... but what would a proper tip be for the driver? Sorry about all the questions...
Old Aug 9th, 2013, 03:51 AM
Original Poster

I'm a bit more wide awake now... Did a Google search.
Anyone had experience with "Heathrow Shuttle" ?
(https://www.heathrowshuttle.com/home/)
They seem similar to the shuttle services I know stateside?
Price looks to be a bit cheaper than J Airports but there is probably a reason for that? Thanks.
Old Aug 9th, 2013, 04:05 AM

We've used justairports on the two previous times we've visited London in the last 10 years, and it worked well for us. We will likely use them again, on our trip from Heathrow to Bloomsbury later this month. They told me I can book as late as hours ahead, but it wouldn't probably work to book AFTER you arrive - they wouldn't have time to get to the airport.

This is a private car service, not a shuttle, so it will be just the two of you in the car.

Another company that I've seen recommended is exclusiveairports.com, but I haven't used them myself.
Old Aug 9th, 2013, 04:42 AM

>>Any other car service companies I might consider? <<

Loads. One of the big companies is Addison Lee
http://www.addisonlee.com/

Or you could use Transport for London's database of recognised minicab firms (plenty are based around the airport, obviously):
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaro...rivatehireform
Old Aug 9th, 2013, 05:46 AM

We've used several and Just Airports is by far the most economical for a private car service. No way to book after you land though.
Old Aug 9th, 2013, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Thank you.
Research does confirm J Airports is the most economical car service... and they replied right away when I emailed them.
Looks like I just have to decide if 3x the price of Piccadilly is worth the convenience. Might be fun to treat ourselves to some luxury & convenience after an overnight flight. Of course, Sunday AM should be pretty easy on the tube, right? We are not experienced subway riders so the tube is intimidating. If anyone can mess it up it will be me!
Old Aug 9th, 2013, 06:28 AM

I think a Sunday morning is the perfect time to use car service. Less traffic than other times so you actually get a value in time savings for your money. I have done it both ways many times (car service and tube) and only if I am staying right near a stop on Picadilly line from LHR and its a week day do I take the tube.
Old Aug 9th, 2013, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

laurie-ann
I figured the tube was easier on weekend, especially a Sunday AM (10:10 arrival)? Are there less trains running on Sunday? On second thought you probably you meant the traffic on a weekday would slow the car service... tube would be faster? Staying at Thanet which is near Russell Sq or Hoburn. But we will still have to walk some with luggage trailing behind us.
Old Aug 9th, 2013, 04:36 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Does Just Airports work on a "by reservation" system only? Or could I book the service on arrival at the airport?<<

No - you must book ahead. Car services are not allowed to cruise LHR and pick up passengers.

>>But we will still have to walk some with luggage trailing behind us.<<

It isn't just at the Russell Square end -- depending on which terminal, you will have a hike or a long hike to the tube station. Justairports is door-to-door. They meet you just as you exit arrival and take your luggage to the car for you. And drop you at the front door of the hotel. Not a schlepp in sight.

I often take the tube into town - but just as often I'll book justairports or Ray Skinner at http://www.london-transfers.com . . . even when I'm traveling solo. The tube isn't hard -- but the overnight flight can be. Book the car service . . .
Old Aug 10th, 2013, 03:34 AM

As usual, I agree with Janis re car service. You will be tired, and it is very nice to come out and find someone holding a sign with your name.

Do make sure that your hotel is prepared for an early arrival or your room may not be ready, even on a Sunday.
Old Aug 10th, 2013, 06:36 AM

Glad I found this thread. Haven't been on this forum in years but I was considering using the Just Airports Car hire for my October solo trip to London. Thanks to the good info here, you've helped me make the decision to go with them.
Old Aug 10th, 2013, 08:58 AM

Hi capecodbeachfront,

I have had good luck with HOTEL BY BUS from Heathrow to central London - £22.50 per person. This is a shared service but the other passengers are being dropped off in the general area of your hotel.

http://www.hotelbybus.com/

Personally, I would not do the Tube with luggage after an international flight. Good luck…
Old Aug 10th, 2013, 11:27 AM

Since you started by saying <<<i> The $50 difference doesn't break the bank if it is the best option</i>>> I'd recommend the car service over tube or shared shuttle. Getting to the tube station at LHR involves a bit of a hike, Russel Square station has lifts (elevators) but is not step free. I tend to avoid shared shuttles, especially when arriving after an overnight flight, as you never know how many other stops will be required before you get to your destination, and may have to sit at the airport waiting for enough riders to fill the van.

Justairports.com gets lots of endorsements on this board, and we have used them a few times and found them OK. More recently used exclusiveairports.com and though their rates are a few pounds higher they include parking for which justairport charges an additional fee, and exclusive's vehicles were a bit nicer. In addition, you can use a credit card to pay in advance with exclusive, whereas with justairports you must call them to pay by credit card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -