Search

Norway in a Nutshell with 4 year old

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2018, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Norway in a Nutshell with 4 year old

Hi,
We are visiting Norway for the first time in late August with our 4 year old son. Norway is the last stop on our Scandinavian itinerary. We will get into Oslo and our return flight to the US is from Bergen.

We are planning on spending time exploring both Norway and Bergen but are wondering if we should do Norway in a Nutshell (one way from Norway to Bergen) in one day or if it is worth it to break it down into 2 days? With a 4 year old would doing it in one day make it too hectic and would a stop make it easier and more enjoyable. Appreciate any feedback!

Thank you!
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 11:01 AM

I did in one day and not fatiguing and if you do decide to stay over in say Flam that means you must carry some bags with you- It's all pretty seamless with trains, bus and boat. It's not that you're on a single train or boat for hours and you could spend time at say Flam for lunch, etc.
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 11:20 AM

Our Norway Nutshell Experience

Current thread with some useful tips to make it all less stressful!
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback! Leaning towards doing it in one day.
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

@PalenQ thanks for the link to the thread. This is very helpful.
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 11:50 AM

https://www.norwaynutshell.com/

If have not seen this site, check out info - no need to do guided tours - buy all tickets for all components in Bergen train station - ask about reservations, etc.
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 01:05 PM

Doing NiN in a day takes about 12 1/2 hours. I would never consider doing this with a 4 year old. Insane. That's a long day for anyone and an impossible one for a 4 year old. In fact every adult I've talked to has said it was tiring. If you have no other option, it might work fine, but never with a youngster in tow. I looked at NiN when doing research for my trip and wasn't impressed with them, and they didn't offer the flexibility I wanted, so did it on my own. I would definitely break the trip up. The most likely stopover would be Flam not at all a charming place, but I stayed at the Fretheim Hotel, and it's far enough away from the overly wrought tourist part of Flam that you do feel isolated from its tacky hustle and bustle.

If possible buy first class tickets for the train. Not sure if NiN allows for this option, but First Class offers free coffee, tea and hot chocolate form a machine. You just help yourself. The train also offers family compartments which would be a good choice if traveling with young ones.
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 02:04 PM

I did this the other way, Bergen to Oslo in one day.
>>> it is worth it to break it down into 2 days?
If you simply break the trip over two day, how would you make it "worth" if you are spending more time doing the same thing? In my opinion, the highlights of the tour in the order were:
1. Flåm to Myrdal train, look out to the west.
2. Myrdal to Oslo train on high altitude segment on both side of Finse looking south.
3. Gudvangen to Flåm boat.
4. Bus ride over the pass at Stalheim.
The boat trip part was not the top highlight. It was crowded on the deck, it was lunch time, so we ended up staying inside even after the lunch.

If I was to break the trip, it would be at Flåm as mentioned above. I would book something like a jet boat tour, something I cannot do when doing NIN in one day.

One the day we did this, there was a young couple with what looked like a 2-year-old girl. She was full of energy until Myrdal, but looked like tired out by the time they got on a long train ride from Myrdal to Oslo. At that point, it probably did not matter doing the trip in one day or two days. She was sleeping during half of the trip anyway.
Old Apr 20th, 2018, 12:43 PM

It's a long day, starting early in the morning with a 5 hr train ride from Oslo. Doubtless all pretty boring for a 4 yr old so it might be worth staying overnight in Flåm. You only need to carry an overnight bag and send your luggage by Porter Service - https://www.porterservice.no/
Old Apr 20th, 2018, 12:49 PM

I read OP to mean they were doing NIN from Bergen but now I think from Norway to Bergen means from Oslo-sorry - yes a longer day. And a break in Flam seems nice - beautiful area. Or do as a day trip from Bergen - slightly shorter and no need to send luggage ahead. Not sure how long that day would be but shorter than coming from Oslo?
Old Apr 20th, 2018, 01:50 PM

When we did the NIN, we put together the Norway itinerary around the NIN. I looked at both Oslo-Bergen and Bergen-Oslo directions and decided that the Bergen-Oslo direction was less exhausting of the two. Flights and accommodation was booked based on the chosen NIN direction as a part of an integrated itinerary. Many people around me ask for recommendations after they have locked in other parts. At that point, there isn't much I can help them. I just helped someone who has just booked flights to London not knowing they booked the trip over the royal wedding weekend. Their planned Windsor Castle visit had to be kiboshed.
Oslo/Bergen hotels frequented by tourists offer hotel to hotel luggage transfer service between the two through third party carriers. Like many things in Norway, it is not cheap, but if you have a lot of luggage, it is an option to lessen the hassle. We carried everything with us on NIN, but then we travel only with carry-on size luggage The Flam-Gudvangen ferry part would require leaving luggage unattended at the car level. While we could have brought everything upper deck going up steep stairs, we just left our small locked luggage along with large number of other people's huge luggage on wooden pallets placed at the car level.
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Hi All, Thank you so much for the helpful feedback. Yes, we are planning on doing NIN from Oslo to Bergen (flying back from Bergen to the US). Good to know that trains have family compartments. In previous train journeys in Europe, those family compartments have been wonderful!
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 07:41 AM

It is supposed to be one of the most scenic journey in Europe/ World.
I stayed at Voss and it was most rewarding. I could absorb the beautiful scenery. Many day trips around Voss. We stayed at Hostel Voss Vanderjem Overlooking a beautiful lake and snow clad mountains.

You can also think about Hotel Stalheim en route, which is on a mountain. Kaiser William 2 used to vacation here very often.
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Hi Paragkash, Voss does look beautiful! Thanks for the suggestion.
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 11:20 AM

I'd take the funicular up to Fløyen and let the kid have a go at the wonderful playground that's there. When the weather is nice, good views. Maybe do Eidfjord in two days? A bus and a high speed ferry will get you there, and a great fjord to sail through. And it's away from the crowds unless a cruise ship docks in Eidfjord.