Strasbourg in September

Search

Strasbourg in September

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2012, 04:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Strasbourg in September

I went to Strasbourg for a day (and a night) last week, because I had calculated that the weather would be lovely at this time of year, and it was. I bought the train tickets a couple of months ago and got round trip 1st class for 60€. Outgoing was a normal TGV and the return was by idTGV -- I noticed that the idTGV train was slightly newer, but they were both perfect for a ride of less than two and a half hours.

Since it was a budget trip, I stayed at the Ibis Petite France for just 50€ (normal rate 93€ during the week). You can save just about the same percentage at the various Accor hotels by booking ahead over the internet as when you book train tickets. The hotel was just fine and had a Leclerc supermarket right across the street and a tram stop in front of the door. What more can you want for convenience? It's only 300 meters from the train station anyway.

Anyway, I made one of my inevitable photo reports, and this time I was a real tourist, taking the tourist boat and everything, so if anybody is hesitating about whether Strasbourg is worth a visit, this should help you make up your mind: http://tinyurl.com/sxb-2012

warning: there are at least 400 photos, think.
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 04:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great report and photos/commentary as usual. Thanks for posting this.
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 04:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We were there a year ago at this time, and September is definitely a great time to visit this beautiful city!
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 05:32 AM

Kerouac...

Thank you for posting such lovely photos. I was in Strasbourg last year in December for a week with my mother. We had a wonderful time and your photos brought back wonderful memories.

It's timely I came across this post because over the last couple weeks mom and I have been discuss a possible return to Strasbourg in the spring next year. December was nice with the Christmas market, but we'd like to experience Alsace in warmer weather.

Now we are trying to decide if we want to base ourselves in Strasbourg again or maybe venture out to a smaller village and rent a car and explore the wine route.

I noted with interest your comment about Air France not servicing Strasbourg after this year. My intent would have been to fly into Strasbourg via a connection at CDG, but maybe the TGV from CGD to Strasbourg is the better option.

Thanks again!
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

There will probably be "multimodal" Air France service to Strasbourg -- meaning your plane ticket will be valid on a TGV.
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 05:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not surprising re the air services. Didn't the TGV basically wipe out air service between Paris and Lyon? I think the comparable Germanrail services did so between Cologne and Frankfurt.
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 06:18 AM

Thanks Kerouac...good to know this!
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

The first air route that the TGV killed was Paris-Lille. But there are few or no flights to plenty of cities now that used to have flights from Paris: Brussels, Lyon, Rennes, Metz, Nancy... Not only is the train faster in many cases -- and you are allowed to board until the last minute -- but it is non polluting.
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 07:42 AM

Thank you Kerouac we'll be in Strasbourg in three weeks.
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 09:18 AM

I love, love the photos. Thank you for sharing Kerouac. Your collection brought back lots of memories.

TR
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 09:34 AM

We're leaving for The Dordogne tomorrow but Strasbourg is on our list of more places in France to visit.

When I saw that there were 400 photos I thought I'd save this until after we return. Your photo essays are always so informative that I'll probably start planning our next trip when I view it.
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 02:52 PM

I just looked at your photos from Strasbourg-a beautiful journey. Thanks
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 06:06 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Once again, beautiful photos! Thanks very much!
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 06:47 PM

Fantastic! This is on our list for our next place to visit -- our family came from Haguenau (just outside Strasbourg) and we'd love to see it in person.

I had not seen the carved wooden beams as part of architecture ... beautiful.
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 11:54 AM

Beautiful photos of the beautiful city! Thanks so much. I spent several days in Strasbourg a few years ago, and absolutely loved it. I rented a car from Strasbourg and drove around Alsace. It was in October (had beautiful weather)and there were many German tourists - too many cars on the Route des Vins! After looking at your pictures, I'm ready to go back to Strasbourg.
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 09:26 AM

Fabulous report and truly beautiful photos, as always! Thank you for taking the time to post; you have a true gift.
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, but Strasbourg pictures are automatically beautiful.
Old Sep 13th, 2012, 06:24 PM

Loved your photos! I especially liked peeking into the interior courtyards, the night photos, all the detail shots--well, I guess all of them. My feet hurt just thinking about your grandmother climbing the cathedral tower in her dress shoes. At 66 I hadn't worn heels for years except for a few special occasions when I would be dying to find a place to sit or to slip them discretely off. The photos and story give a wonderful picture of life in Strasbourg! The teenagers getting out of school looked just like their contemporaries around here.

Thanks for another wonderful show and tell!
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 09:36 AM

You sure are a productive photographer while you're waiting for stuff!

Thanks for the great report and photos. The only time I was in Strasbourg (12 years ago) was in September, and the weather, like the city, was lovely as well.

I loved the grandmother story. As much as she wouldn't have done it without your coaxing, I bet she was proud she did it when all was said & done.

Interesting about the openings in the roof - never knew that.
Old Sep 14th, 2012, 10:09 AM

Thank you for the great trip report and pics. It brought back many happy memories of Strasbourg. After I show your report to my husband, I think we'll be planning a trip. Il faut que je reapprend la Francais. (I don't know how to type accents.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -