Ideal hotel or B&B for solo traveler in Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2013, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our trip to the Amalfi Coast in May has changed. DH can't go, so I canceled the fancy romantic hotel. I'm still going--by myself. I need your recommendations for that great little place that would be perfect for me to stay by myself for a week. Doesn't have to be the AC, but that's my first choice. Flying in and out of Rome.

My wish list:

Incredible view from my room, terrace preferred

Good breakfast. Great coffee.

Free wifi in room.

Friendly, helpful staff that will keep an eye on me and help me make arrangements for activities.

Ideally offer dinner so I don't have to eat alone in restaurants.

Location where I can walk, explore, shop alone. I don't want challenging hiking where I'm afraid if I get lost, no one would find me.

Easy to get to with public transportation.

Under 200 euros a night.

Help me please! It's almost May!
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 02:46 PM

Check AirBnB. Put the word Amalfi coast in the title of this post and repost it.
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 02:49 PM

My first step would be to go to venere.com or another booking site and see what is available for your May dates. And then ask. A lot of time can be spent getting recommendaions for places that may already be booked.
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 02:56 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Do you have a town preference? Do you need a pool?
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your quick replies! I didn't put AC in the title because I really am open to other areas. I have read hundreds of reviews on Venere and Tripadvisor, but the majority are not from the solo perspective.

Even if a great place is booked, I still want to know about it. I have booked many hotels last minute that had cancellations.
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Ky, I don't need a pool and I don't have a town preference. I don't want to just sit in my room, so I'd like to be able to explore the area pretty easily.
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 03:07 PM

Here's a thread :

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ngle-women.cfm
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 03:35 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I think I would split the stay. It depends on what you plan to do or see. If Pompeii, Herculaneum and the museum in Naples are part of your plans, then several nights in Sorrento area would make more sense because of transportation. Maybe 3-4 nights Positano or Amalfi area and the rest around the Sorrento area or on Capri.
Old Apr 11th, 2013, 06:12 PM

I loved this place and if I were to go back to the Amalfi Coast by myself, it would be to stay here more than anything else!

http://www.holidayhousegilda.com/

Great breakfast, great coffee, killer views.. no dinner, but there are a couple of restaurants that will come and get you and bring you back or you can walk into Positano.

Also am not sure about the wifi... you'd need to check on that.

It is more rustic than glamorous. And the price is right.
Old Apr 12th, 2013, 01:58 AM

Amalfi Coast doesn't strictly mean amalfi isn'it? Because I would prefer to stay in a less crowded place, since you can join every city with day trips.

Ok, let's skim your wish list:

Incredible view from my room, terrace preferred

Good breakfast. Great coffee.

Friendly, helpful staff that will keep an eye on me and help me make arrangements for activities.

Ideally offer dinner so I don't have to eat alone in restaurants.

Location where I can walk, explore, shop alone. I don't want challenging hiking where I'm afraid if I get lost, no one would find me.

All this made me think to Villa Oriana www.villaoriana.it.
Is a bed and breakfast in Sorrento and the owner Maria is exquisite. She likes to host and offer limoncello (famous liqueur) and cakes she prepares by its own hands. If you are travelling alone you will be happy to find the warmth of a family, I guess. Often they host guests on their private yacht for Amalfi Coast Tour. They have a terrace with jacuzzi overlooking the sea and the villa is surrounded by lemon trees. I hope this is going to be helpful to you!
Old Apr 12th, 2013, 03:58 AM

You may also want to consider the Cinque Terre. Beautiful views and you can do lots of nice walking/hiking to the different towns. The paths are pretty clear, but even if you did get lost there are lots of other people around so nothing is remote. Likely more solo travelers there too.
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 04:37 PM

Anneeby, I am so glad you are posting this information. I need to get away on a relaxing and healing trip since my husband just passed away and I need something simple, because my mind is on overload. You made it look so easy. I so much want to do this probably at the end of September, because I can not stand the heat! Please post more about your stay and where you ate. Wish you a very relaxing and marvelous time!
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 04:40 PM

Oops I just noticed that it was back in April when this was posted, maybe someone else with great information for a solo traveler will give me some ideas.
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 04:46 PM
WWK

I just got back from a repeat trip to Positano. I looked at a really lovely apartment, VILLA SIRENE, which is just off one of the upper main street in Positano, VIA PASITEA. The only negative is that there is a steep staircase leading down to the apartments. But you are literally just a few minutes away from a street with tons of shopping and restaurants, and only a ten minute walk from the center of town, a little more to the beach.

Anyway, the owner, Chiara was really sweet and charming. The rooms were beyond gorgeous with heavenly views of the water from small terraces. Prices seemed much more reasonable than the hotel I always stay at ( Hotel Poseidon).

There's also a place in town only steps from the beach that is self-catering apartments, very central to everything. I have to look up the name. Again, very lovely rooms, close to all.

Good luck!
Old Jul 26th, 2013, 04:49 PM
WWK

OK, found it It's called FLAVIO GIOIA, and it's about a block down and across from PALAZZO MURAT in Positano, as you're headed to the beach. It has a beautiful garden/art gallery out front, and I thin it would be a wonderful place for a solo traveler to stay and meet other travelers.
Old Jul 27th, 2013, 07:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, everyone, for responding.

I went on my trip in May. I found a perfect B&B in Praiano and actually much prefered Praiano to Positano. You can read my trip report at http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...alfi-coast.cfm.
I stayed at the Hotel Pellegrino.