Reload this Page >

budget accommodations: Rothenburg, Fussen, Salzburg

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 03:03 PM
Natasha

Has anyone stayed at and can recommend inexpensive places to stay in Rothenburg, Fussen or Salzburg? I will be travelling with two other women ~26 years old. I don't think we would mind staying in youth hostels if the rooms didn't have many people. We wouldn't want to be too far from all the sites. For example in Rothenburg I have heard it is worth it to stay inside the city walls. Does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks for your help. <BR> <BR>Natasha

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 05:40 PM
steve

I stayed many years ago at one of the hostels in R'burg - the one that was an old mill. It was an average hostel with no showers. I found hostels in Germany too full of little kids to be enjoyable. <BR> <BR>In R'burg, I stayed at Gastehous Hofman (Stollengasse 29) - inside the wall and inexpensive - about $25 in '87. <BR> <BR>In Salzburg, I also stayed at the hostel years ago - a school that becomes a hostel in summer. It was o.k. I have also stayed at the Romerwirt (Nontaler Hauptstrasse 47)- just outside the old town but on a bus route - also inexpensive

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 05:52 PM
Doug

In December 1998 we stayed at the Gasthof Butz, Kappelenplatz 4, 91541 Rothenburg o.T. (in old Rothenburg). It's behind the row of buildings facing the Market Square. Go to: <BR> <BR>http://www.rotabene.de/webcam/ <BR> <BR>The hotel is immediately to the left of the photo. It's right near everything. <BR>There was a nice big parking lot in front and a nice bank across the lot. It's behind the touristy stuff yet from your second floor window, you can savor the ambiance. Our family of four shared a room with shower. The 4 bed room cost 170 DM. For two the price drops to 130DM. Of course, breakfast is included. The Night Watchman tour leaves from the nearby Market Square (the one on the website mentioned above)and all the major sites are a short walk away. Be sure to arrive after 5:00 pm and to move your car before 9:00 am because the streets are closed to cars when the tourists start showing up. <BR> <BR>If you're a bit nervous about driving down the narrow old town streets, the Rothenburger Hof, is near the train station in the more modern section. They are at Bahnhofstrasse 11-13, Postfach 12 12, 91534 Rothenburg o.T. A 4 bed room will run 160 DM with shower, toilet and breakfast. <BR> <BR>If you do decide to stay at the Butz, enter Rothenburg at the Wurzburger Tor. Go straight until you go through the Weisser Turm (you'll know what it is when you pass through this tower). The first left should be an alley leading to the Kapellenplatz. <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 06:00 PM
Doug

Another site you might wish to check out is: <BR> <BR>http://oasis.fortunecity.com/montego/267/index.html <BR> <BR>He has lots of great info abou inexpensive pensions and Zimmer Freis. If you ask Ben for advice, he usually gets back in a day or two. I'm sure he'll have some nice places to suggest around Fussen and will probably advise you to stay in Berchtesgaden instead of Salzburg (cheaper, quieter and prettier). As long as you have a car you can get from Berchtie to Salzburg in 20 minutes. It takes a bit longer by train, but it's worth it to spend some time in the place I think is the most beautiful place I've ever been. <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 07:41 PM
Jim

Natasha...back in April of 1987 we stayed at a zimmer that was also a car wash. The rooms were great, with your own bathroom, and breakfast of eggs for $28.00. Now this was in April and 13 years ago. I know they are still open because I checked with fuessen Tourismus back in March for a trip next year. Anyway, it was great and I'll send you a pic if you like. They don't have an email but here is the info I got: Beil und Mayer Gmbh, Kemptener Str. 109, 87629 Fussen phone 08362/3101. <BR>Good luck!

Old Jul 11th, 2000, 04:03 AM
Mary Ann

Last fall we stayed in a 600 year old pub inside the wall at Hotel Altfrankische Weinstub am Klosterhof. It was 95DM about $55US then for a double with wc and shower, including breakfast (very nice) for two. Our room had a king(2 twins together) plus another twin bed in the room. Also had cable television. Very clean, good food and nice people. The small pub was really quaint. The decor was old worldish too!

Old Jul 11th, 2000, 06:10 AM
Anna

Natasha, <BR>I stayed at the Rossmuhle Hostel in Rothenburg in 1995. It is located within the walls of the city. It was a nice hostel in an old mill, the rooms and bathrooms were modern and up to date. I believe our room slept 4 or 6, but there were only 3 of us assigned to it. You may want to look at the bulletin boards at eurotrip.com for more information.

Old Jul 11th, 2000, 06:38 AM
T. Michael

The Hotel Sallerhof is in the pleasant village of Grodig, Austria which is an easy 10 minutes by auto south of Salzburg. It is also just 20 minutes from the Konigsee and Bertschesgaden. My wife, two kids and I stayed there in late June in a 2 bedroom apartment for 1200 ATS per night (about $85.00), including a fabulous breakfast. It is also on the busline from Salzburg ... #59. Klaus and his family do a wonderful job are are quite helpful. <BR>Their website is www.sallerhof.at <BR>Enjoy!