Search

B&B's in Europe

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B&B's in Europe

We are leaving for Europe in April 2009 for 30 days. We would like to stay mostly in B&B's. Do any of you have some recommendations for us. We will be going to Germany, France, Italy, amd Austria. We will be traveling by train. Thanks
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 09:25 AM
yk

<i>We will be going to Germany, France, Italy, amd Austria.</i>

You know each country is quite big with thousands of cities &amp; towns?

It'd be more helpful if you tell us which city/town you're planning to visit, and what is your budget.

There's no point for me to recommend a B&amp;B in Vienna when you are only going to visit Salzburg. Or a B&amp;B in Amboise when you are visiting Provence.

See what I mean?
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Yes I understand. Her goes, to the best of my mind. We may stay longer then 30 days, if the numbers don't add up. Thank you for your help

Arrive Frankfurt, 1 night
Koblenz, Germany 1 night
Trier, Germany 2 nights
Luxembourg, 1 night
Rimes, France 2 nights
Paris, France 2 nights
Lyon, France 1 night
Geneva, 1 night
Avignon, France 2 nights
Monaco, 1 night
Genova, Italy 2 nights
Pisa, Italy 1 night
Rome, Italy 2 nights
Naples 2 nights
Assisi, Italy 1 night
Milan, Italy 2 nights
Venice, Italy 1 night
Salzburg, Austria 2 nights
Garmisch, 1 night
Munich, Germany 2 nights
Stuttgart, Germany 2 night
Heidelberg, Germany 2 nights
back top Frankfurt
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 09:58 AM

you should book a bus tour.
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 10:03 AM

I wouldn't book a bus tour but look at cutting this down by about half the cities. I know thats not what you are asking but thats my input. Even if most of the distances between all these cities isn't all that great, you need to count the packing up time, getting to the train station, actual travel time, orientation time for figuring out your way in each new city. I would suggest thinking in at least 3 and 4 days stays not one or 2.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 10:09 AM

I hope that you really like packing, unpacking and sitting on trains because that is much of what you will be doing. Really, that is a very hectic itinerary even for 30 days. You might want to consider few places in greater depth rather than an &quot;if it's Tuesday it must be Belgium&quot; type trip. Or, if you really want to see all of those places, add at least a couple of weeks and spend more time in most. For example, with only one night in Venice and two each in Paris and Rome, you are really shortchanging yourself.
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Does anyone know of any B&amp;B's in these areas. We are retired and we can spend as much time as we would like traveling. I did this same trip in 1970, in two weeks. Of course I was younger, but I am not out of shape. My biggest concern is a place to stay. Once we get there we can always shorten or lengthen the trip as we like. I just want to keep our expenses down on hotels. We are never in our rooms and I hate to spend &quot;big bucks&quot; to sleep. Thanks again.
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 10:21 AM
yk

Ditto what others said.

You will be packing and unpacking 22 times during your 30 days. Each time you travel to a new city, it takes a good 1/2 day just to do so. So, 11 days out of your 30 days are spent traveling, checking-in, checking-out.

You are basically doing a 30-day trip of <b>European train stations</b>.

Moving so much is only possible if: You are less than 20 years of age with unlimited stamina
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 10:36 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry but that itinerary is just this side of insane.

Even IF you did that itinerary 30+ years ago (which I sorta doubt -- 2 weeks for 23 locations is beyond impossible) - you are 30 years older and 30 years slower . . . .

Plus - if you have the luxury of 30 days to travel - why not go fewer places and actually see something besides train stations and B&amp;Bs. You definitely will not have time to see anything else.

I wouldn't bother getting recs for B&amp;Bs - you will only be sleeping for a few hours than back out to the train station to start all over again the next day.

just nutty . . . . .
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 10:43 AM

Good lord. What a travel travesty.

Honestly, you don't need B&amp;B's. Just catch a few winks wherever you happen to be at the moment.
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 10:54 AM

&gt;&gt; Just catch a few winks wherever you happen to be at the moment.
&lt;&lt;

Between now and April 2009, you should do online searches for the names and numbers of the B&amp;B's, pensiones, gasthausen, etc in the various towns and cities you plan to visit. Google &quot;Heidelberg gasthaus&quot; for instance.

Upon arrival at a train station, you can then try to make your lodging arrangements.
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

I have gotten a lot of advice, but not one name of a B&amp;B in any of the places we plan to stay. Nothing is cast in concrete, we could change our mines a 100 times before we leave, I would really just like the name of a few places. We are only in the planning stages, but I have no idea what a B&amp;B would cost and where they are. Please Help Me!
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 12:30 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
&quot;<i>I have gotten a lot of advice, but not one name of a B&amp;B in any of the places we plan to stay</i>&quot;

My God woman - you have 23 cities listed!!

No one really wants to be an enabler here. Giving you reams of lists of B&amp;Bs won't make your plan any more doable.

&quot;<i>Please Help Me!</i>&quot; We ARE trying to help you. You really need to work out a more reasonable itinerary and then we can give you all sorts of good recommendations.

Start by cutting your list of cities/stops in half and then trim it a bit more and you'll be good to go . . . . .
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 12:33 PM

I agree with everyone else. That itinerary will make you crazy.

Get a couple of guidebooks and check them out.
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 12:36 PM

If you might &quot;change your mines [sic] 100 times before you go&quot; why would we bother?

When you have a reasonable plan, you'll get reasonable suggestions.

In the meantime, there is Google....
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 12:44 PM
yk

To help you understand a little better, &quot;B&amp;B&quot; is not a universal term for &quot;Europe.&quot; And depending on the country, some &quot;B&amp;Bs&quot; include breakfast in the room rate, some don't.

If you just need a clean place to stay, I'd budget around &euro;100 for a double room on average. Obviously, you'll pay more than that for a hotel in Paris, but you should be able to find something cheaper in Germany. So, just a ballpark figure for you.
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 12:46 PM

You say that you can adjust your itinerary as you go, so I assume you won't be making any B&amp;B reservations ahead of time.

For help with Germany and Austria, check out www.bensbauernhof.com for reasonably priced accommodations.

For other places, try http://www.bedandbreakfast.com/.
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Ok I see your point. I put all those names down because the 1st person wrote that she needed to know where I would be going. So I wrote down names of places I thought I might want to try.

Here I go again: Paris, Rome, Salsburgand Munich. Hope this helps. Thanks
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 01:01 PM

You might want to check out the Karen Brown books on charming B&amp;Bs in those areas that you're interested in.
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 01:18 PM

Just do a Google search for &quot;Bed and Breakfast&quot; and enter the city you're interested in. You'll get all kinds of hits and information you're looking for. Once you actually get to a city or town, go to the tourist office, and they should be able to hook you up with a B&amp;B to you liking and price range. That's what we did in 06 and are doing now for an upcoming trip in 09.

Read our trip report here:

http://tinyurl.com/24vmde

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -