Av des Champs-Élysées, c'est passé?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2012, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Though Paris remains a favorite destination, for several years now I have tolerated rather than enjoyed visiting the Champs-Élysées (other than an evening stroll when the winter holiday lights are on display.) It had come to resemble a cross between a midway and a mall. So seeing this article in the NYT today felt rather validating. http://tinyurl.com/9t9odv6
Old Sep 15th, 2012, 06:21 AM

I can't open the article but my opinion of it hasn't changed in the 40 years I've been going to Paris--impressive boulevard linking the Place de la Concorde and Arc de Triomphe, but not an area that draws me back.

I think someone in Paris for the first time should see it for the scale, the history, etc. A bit like the Via Veneto in Rome.

Using points I've stayed at the Marroitt on it, and over 20 years ago at a former Marriott just off it. Pleasant stays both times and I discovered some good reasonable restaurants on the side streets. But, would not be my first choice.
Old Sep 15th, 2012, 06:42 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
We were just in Paris in June. We had been three times prior but not in over 12 years and our first visit was in 1979.

Paris was a world class city then and is still one today.

On this visit we did not walk from Place de la Concorde to the Arc.

We walked from the Louvre to Place de la Concorde and the next day, upon returning from Montmartre got off the Metro at the Arc. I made a wide, circular loop around the Arc and viewed it with the sun shining at different angles.

A sight to behold!!!!

From there we walked a couple of blocks down the Boulevard before veering towards the Eiffel Tower.

This is still one of the world's grand boulevards.
Old Sep 15th, 2012, 06:44 AM

Our first promenade there was somewhat interesting, but since then the only attraction was in May, 2010 (?), when there was an extensive agricultural/rural/rural/farming exhibition set up for several blocks right in the traffic lanes of the avenue. If it is used for special events like that very often, that might make return visit(s) worthwhile. Otherwise, once seems enough.
Old Sep 15th, 2012, 06:46 AM

It's a big wide street in a sterile area of Paris. The view of teh Arc is great. We never go to this area any more, but when our kids wanted to do it, we rode the bus from the Arc to the Place. It was a nice quick tour.
Old Sep 15th, 2012, 07:32 AM

Champs Elysées: disappointing during the day, seriously dangerous at night. We only visit it to visit the Espace Culturel, or, occasionally, for its Christmas market and its branch of Marks & Spencer (hey, occasionally British sausages go down well!).
Old Sep 15th, 2012, 09:42 AM

I don't ever go there anymore. I did on my first couple of trips to Paris many years ago, but even 30+ years ago it was a huge bore. It holds zero appeal for me.
Old Sep 15th, 2012, 10:35 AM

It is very commercial at this point with a lot of chain stores, etc. However, it is quite beautiful to look from the Place de la Concorde to the Arc and, occasionally to walk in one direction or the other. It isn't something to do if you're short on time.
Old Sep 15th, 2012, 11:06 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I have gone up and down the Champs Elysées since I was a (very small) child in 1960. It was also the area where I worked for almost 40 years, so I know every nook and cranny intimately well.

I understand why people hate it, but I also understand why other people love it. It is interesting to notice that it attracts all of the high end tourists to Paris (Saudi, Qatari, Chinese, Brazilian, Japanese, etc...) and also the teenagers from the poor suburbs.

Naturally, every single restaurant on the street is a "tourist" restaurant, but some of them are quite good (one of the best, l'Alsace, is closed for about six months for renovation). A lot of the tourists would absolutely love these places, because the waiters know exactly what to do to be loved.

As for shopping, a lot of us want to go to the chain stores, because that it where we find items that we like at the prices that we like. When I worked on the Champs Elysées, I very often shopped at Célio and H&M and was totally satisfied with what I bought. High end shoppers love the Louis Vuitton flagship store or the Eric Bompard cashmere shop, among others. Other categories of shoppers love the Tommy Hilfiger flagship store, the huge Banana Republic or the megastores by Adidas and Nike. And then there are the auto showrooms, which enthrall car enthusiasts -- there's Renault, Toyota, Citeoën, Mercedes and Peugeot, but real enthusiasts should walk down avenue George V to see the incredible BMW showroom.

Foodies love Ladurée and Fouquet's or even Flora Danica in the Maison du Danemark, not to mention the new Atélier Joël Robuchon in the Publicis Drugstore.

Anyway, this is just my point of view of the avenue. Anybody's else's opinion is certainly equally valid.
Old Sep 15th, 2012, 02:34 PM

My husband was a college student traveling in Europe right after the war and was on the Champ when the lights were turned back on. On our first trip to Paris it was what he wanted me to see the most. It was the early 80's and he was disappointed .... tho probably nothing could have topped his memory.
Old Sep 15th, 2012, 04:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Well, I'll be damned. I didn't know M&S recently re-opened on the Champs Elysee. I was grumbling because I had to get my usual mackeral and salmon pate for the 14th July boat trip at the local Monoprix. Which definitely wasn't as good as the ones from the M&S food halls. Rats! (But thanks, Bianca, for the news!)
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 05:35 AM

Hehe, no problem Surfergirl! (And there I was thinking I'd be shot down in flames for my closet love of the Paris branch.)

Thanks for all of your recommendations kerouac. I don't enjoy the Champs-Elysees much (always feel the need to hold onto my bag just a little bit more tightly...) but I have friends and family visit from time to time who do want me to take them there.
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 06:10 AM

It's nice at Christmas time when they have the Christmas market there and I think it is well worth the walk up to the Arc de Triomphe.
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 07:00 AM

Everything in Paris is in a sense "passe", which is one reason people flock to it.

In many ways, the Champs-Elysees had stayed closer to its original mission and vibe than many other places in Paris that have been boutiqued for tourism. It was always meant to be a broad boulevard for the great unwashed to gawk at the new-fangled -- electric lights, cars, the latest consumer items. It still is. Of course it means nothing to Americans who spend their time at malls and megaplexes to see them in Paris. Weird to feel one needs one's reactions validated by the NY Times.
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 07:01 AM

By the way, the Champs-Elysees is not "seriously dangerous at night."
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 07:10 AM

We got to see the Christmas lights and markets for the first time last year. Although we didn't purchase much we did enjoy the ambience.

Hubby likes to see the car showrooms. Daughter found some things she eally liked at Zara.

The veiw from the top of the Arche is wonderful

As long as Wallmart does not open on the Champs I'll continue my visits there.
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 07:55 AM

vespacurves: not even on a Friday/Saturday night, after a football game, or on New Year's Eve? That's not what I hear...
Old Sep 16th, 2012, 10:00 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Then you have heard wrong. New year's eve has not been dangerous for at least 8 years, although there may the risk of having a policeman step on your feet.

On Friday and Saturday nights, RAS. (rien à signaler)