London 3 days withh 22 year old son

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London 3 days withh 22 year old son

Hi

We are travelling England Wales for 10 days and finish with 3 days in London
Looking for itineray suggestions for 3 days in London-sites not to miss etc.

Thanks
Old Jul 30th, 2008, 11:33 AM

What is your son interested in? I would get a guide book and discuss with him.

Check out London Walks for interesting walks, the pub walks in the evening are great. They go to 3-4 historical pubs and do an interesting walk in between. Great fun. www.walks.com

I also HIGHLY recommend the Tower of London. At least 1/2 a day. Get there first thing in the morning and go straight to see the crown jewels. Then backtrack to the entrance and pick up a free beefeater tour.

Other than that there are art museums, history museums, walking, Buckingham Palace...tonnes of things depending on your and his interests.

You could also do a Hop On Hop Off tour to see the major sites.

Have fun!
Old Jul 30th, 2008, 11:46 AM

17 year old son thought the British Museum was the greatest - we spent most of the day. Also agree with the Tower of London tour. Each of my kids loved that.
Old Jul 30th, 2008, 12:01 PM
dmlove

We all loved the Cabinet War Rooms, and will go again (with one person who has never been) in a month. Kids were 18 and 16 I think at the time. We also all enjoyed the London Eye, "Mamma Mia", Portobello Market, Harrod's food hall, Greenwich (it's just fun to stand on the Greenwich Meridian), the British Museum.

Old Jul 30th, 2008, 12:11 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Another vote for the Cabinet War rooms ...

Our teenagers and my husband and I thought the Imperial War Museum was pretty amazing - and it's free...

gruezi
Old Jul 30th, 2008, 01:06 PM

Yet another vote for the Imperial War museum, a thumbs up for the museum of London, the British Museum if you're really into ancient history etc...

Otherwise, a west-end show is always a good bet, a few visits to some of the good pubs around (the Cheshire Cheese on The Strand is always a pleaser in the evenings, but make sure you go downstairs to the cellar rooms and don't stay upstairs), wandering through the great parks (Hyde, St James, Green etc), the Covent Garden area, Oxford / Regent Street...the options are endless...

Beyond anything, I'd recommend doing a London Walk (www.walks.com) - 7 pounds for a guided tour around London, various tours with various guides - we've done most and all are excellent value for money.
Old Jul 30th, 2008, 01:36 PM

I would think that anything an adult likes to do is something a 22 year old adult likes to do. His interests and tastes should be fairly well developed and, unlike a 17 year old, he can always go off on his own if dancing all night isn't on your agenda.

The Time Out guide to London is good. He can order one from Amazon and give it a look, and you two can put your heads together and work out a plan.

I've always found the Everyman's Guide to London to be particularly useful for showing you on a map the high points of every individual neighborhood -- the top museum, top historic sites, top shopping, top bar, top restaurants -- plus the tube stops. It's small and easy to walk around with.