Search

areas in Lisbon

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2012, 12:19 PM
wug
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
areas in Lisbon

A friend and I (40s) are going to Portugal for 11 days. We will end our trip in Lisbon before we fly out. We are trying to figure out the best area to be in. We plan to rent an apartment and do a day trip to Sintra and possibly the beaches close by. Mainly we will be in Lisbon itself though. We will be taking the train from Lagos to Lisbon and then flying out of Lisbon around 8 am when we leave to go home.

Can anyone make a suggestion of a couple of areas that are convenient to the train station, getting to the airport, etc. Thanks so much
Old May 3rd, 2012, 06:40 AM

Baixa or Chiado.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 07:51 AM

It's important to stay in an area that has restaurants and nightlife (cafes) rather than to stay right near the train station or airport. Taxis are plentiful in Lisbon and very inexpensive. Public transportation is good. The airport is close to Lisbon.

Follow lobo's advice (from someone who didn't know better and stayed in a terrible area).
Old May 3rd, 2012, 09:50 AM
wug
Original Poster

Thank you!! That helps a lot. I definitely don't mind not being right next door to transportation but convenience is important. It's good to know that the public transportation system is good and especially that taxis are plentiful and inexpensive.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 10:08 AM

I had one of the most freightening taxi rides of my life in Lisbon on the way to the airport and I don't think that is an unusual occurence. I'd suggest taking a bus or metro when possible.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 10:40 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Frightening taxi rides make some of my best travel stories. But I agree that taxis in Lisbon are plentiful and cheap, and the airport is close to the city.

I have stayed in Baixa (flat) and Chiado (hilly) and agree that they are both excellent neighborhoods to base yourself as a tourist.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 11:09 AM

wug: A few tips as i just returned from Lisboa in March-

- around Rossio you will probably be approached by individuals selling hash. these people aren't dangerous or anything... some are just pushy. after 5 times i pretended to not speak English... or Spanish... or Portugeuse
- remember bus #745 or #44. Either one will drop you off at the city center (around Marques de Pombal) for just a few euros

- try the castle Sao Jorge an hour before it gets dark. The views were unparalelled from any of the other miradouros

- you can spend a half day or so in Belem checking out monuments that are close together. If you'd like to go to the famous Pasteis de Belem try a tip i learned on here: Simply bypass the long line and walk right inside towards the back to find a table.

- in Sintra definitely take the sightseeing bus UP to Pena Palace. do NOT get off at the Moorish castle though... go to Pena Palace first. After you're done at Pena the walk down to the Moorish castle isn't bad at all.

- Lisbon's subway is cheap and very efficient. beware of strikes (happened to us the morning we left)

- We stayed at the Miraparque which i would recommend to anyone. Safe and quiet...good food in the morning. It's near a subway (Parque) that can get you to Restauradores or Rossio in just a few minutes

Lisbon has some gorgeous sights. The view from the elevador de Santa Justa and other miradouros were magnificent. Enjoy
Old May 3rd, 2012, 11:31 AM
wug
Original Poster

Thanks so much Tailsock! I'm going to print your suggestions out and take them with me.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 12:08 PM

wug. I know you will enjoy your trip to Portugal and Lisbon.
If you are interested in apartments there are several good websites to consider.
Depending on when you will be there, I would suggest air conditioning if it is in the Summer. Lisbon can get quite warm. You will be able to find accomodations with a/c quite easily.
Have a great trip. And I put in my vote for Baixa or Chaido.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 06:00 PM

I'm also going to Lisbon in June.

Sher - what apartment websites do you suggest?

I have not done any research yet (too busy planning for the Paris part of the trip). Any tips will help!!
Old May 3rd, 2012, 06:35 PM

The first place I always look is
www.chiado-apartments.com
I give these apartments and the owner a 5* rating. And no I do not work for him nor are we related!
But these apartment are very popular because of the location and quality. Also, they require three nights. Most are in the heart of Chiado.
Next:
Brown's Luxury Apartments which can be booked on www.booking.com. These are studio apartments in the heart of Baixa. These are only studio apartments really suitable for two people. But the beds are huge, the linens wonderful and they are very modern. Since I stayed there they have added several more. All have mini kitchens and most have washing machines.

You can walk out the doors of these places and have cafes and shops at your fingertips. Both sets are air conditioned and have elevators.

If you strike out with these two I would try www.travelingtoiisbon.com. They have good customer service and will work with you.

Good luck
Old May 3rd, 2012, 06:47 PM

Sher - thanks so much!!
Old May 3rd, 2012, 08:43 PM

mmyk72 You are very welcome.
Old May 4th, 2012, 12:31 PM

Sher, I struck out on the apts since a lot of them are booked on some of the days of my trip. But, I found a newish hotel for a great price.

Tailsock, Thanks to your tips as well!

Question regarding transportation: Are the funiculars paid for by the same system as the subway?

I heard there is a transport card that one can buy for 50 cents and afterward one can load up and get discounted fares for each ride. Is this card acceptable by other modes of public transport (buses, etc.)

I'm starting to get an idea of the neighborhoods, what to see, etc. I'd love to hear other hidden gems or travel tips?

Wug - enjoy your trip! Maybe we'll run into each other.
Old May 8th, 2012, 09:33 AM

Hi, mmyk72, just a few things on the transportation. The transport card that is sold in the subways can be used on subway, bus, trams, and what they call the "elevador", those cars that go up and down a few steep hills, they are essentially tram cars. The easiest thing is to just put an amount on it in the subway stop, and then it can be used on the other forms of transport. There is no place on the bus or tram to add money to the card, so have it charged. A full day pass, I think, is 5€, while a single ride on any of those three things is 1.25€.

Not sure what you mean by "funicular," but if you mean the "hanging car" that goes along the river out at the Expo site, that is a different concession.

I wrote up a walking tour of lisbon and posted it on fodors and have heard from a number of people that it was useful. You can see it here: http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-of-lisbon.cfm

What part of the city will you be staying in?
Old May 8th, 2012, 03:38 PM

Hi Ireynold, Thanks for info. I'm staying next to the Metro stop Marq de Pombal.
Old May 8th, 2012, 06:10 PM

Ireynold, Just read your walking tour. Nice info. Will try it!
Old May 8th, 2012, 07:29 PM

wug and mmyk72. I am sure both of you will have a great time. Remember that taxis in Lisbon are very reasonable. So when you get tired of hiking up and down those hills you can get somewhere for very little.
Old May 9th, 2012, 05:27 AM

Sher, thanks again! I'll come back with killer legs for sure.
Old May 10th, 2012, 07:32 PM

This is good info to help prep for my visit next month. thanks everyone!

What is the best way to get to Sintra (bus/train)?? Where is the departing station and how to get to the sites once arrive into Sintra? thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -