Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is it OK to hike alone in the Grindelwald/Murren area?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 1999, 01:36 AM
Sara

I am planning to go to the Grindelwald/Murren area this summer. I haven't talked anyone into going with me yet so I was wondering if I should go on a hiking tour with a group or is it safe enough to go hiking on my own?

Old Jan 26th, 1999, 02:47 AM
joel

Absolutely. My wife and I have visited Grindelwald either 4 or 5 times. Each time, hiking has been our main pastime. The trails are well-traveled; you will run into many couples, singles, and families on most trails. Also, the terrain tends much more to grassy slopes rather than forested slopes, therefore, you are very often within sight of several other parties. <BR>Grindelwald is located in a basin. Trails ring the basin which is formed by various mountains and glaciers surrounding the town. All you have to do is catch a bus outside your hotel which will take you up the side of the basin to whatever trailhead you want. From the trailhead you have a choice of easy trails that ring the basin or more up-and-down trails. It can be as easy or difficult as you wish. You can hike from trailhead to trailhead and get picked up by different buses, all going back to town. <BR>We discovered during our stays that a very good hotel (charming, snug, excellent meals, killer views of the Eiger and the 2 glaciers) is the Hotel--Chalet Gletschergarten right in town. Feel free to write me if you have other questions. <BR>

Old Jan 26th, 1999, 04:47 AM
Bob Brown

I spent a week in Lauterbrunnen last September and took many long walks. <BR>The trails are safe within prudence. <BR>From Grindelwald we took the gondola to First. Then we walked up to the Faulhorn, but we did nOT continue on because the trail along the ledge below the hotel was covered in snow and the ruts were icy. I did not have the proper equipment to try it. <BR> <BR>I rate the hike from the First gondola station to the Faulhorn as a real classic. If you tackle some of the steeper trails leading up from Stechelberg, you will have to exercise caution coming down because they are quite steep and rocky. <BR> <BR>Another good walk is take the level trail along the shelf from Grutschalp to Murren. Take the cable car from Lauterbrunnen and walk from the end station south to Murren. You will have great views of the Jungfrau and Breithorn and others. <BR>You can take the gondola down to Stechelberg and catch the bus back to Lauterbrunnen. Trains are frequent between Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald, with a change in route at Zweiluetschinen. <BR>Another trail I did not take but hope to this summer is the one along the base of the North Wall of the Eiger. <BR> <BR>Good hiking.

Old Jan 26th, 1999, 02:13 PM
joyce

Ditto to Joel's comment. Great place to stay--very convient. You will be perfectly safe hiking alone and you will love the area. Everyone is friendly and helpful. <BR>

Old Jan 26th, 1999, 02:15 PM
Bob Brown

To amend my earlier post, I found the guide book by Kev Reynolds on The Bernese Alps - A Walking Guide to be quite helpful as is a book by the Liebermans on Walking Switzerland - the Swiss Way. There are many trails to explore. Another good route I hope to pursue this summer is the trail along the ridge from Schynige Platte towards the Faulhorn. Schynige Platte can be reached by train from Wilderswil on the route from Interlaken Ost to Grindelwald. <BR> <BR>There is one hike that I started that hit me as being a little dangerous depending on one's skill, strength, and fitness. The hike from Pfingstegg to Stieregg to the Schreckhorn Hut involves hanging on to cables and climbing ladders. Reynolds describes them as "an interesting obstacle." I considered them too much for a man of my age and habits. But, for as far as I went, the views of the east side of the Eiger and the glaciers "behind" it, were stupendous. And you can have lunch at the restaurant at Stieregg. <BR>

Old Jan 28th, 1999, 07:17 AM
Sara

Thanks for the info. You've been a great help. How about Gimmelwald. Have you been there? I've read about it in Rick Steves books. Sounds like the hostel would be a great place to stay.

Old Jan 28th, 1999, 08:45 AM
AL

It never ceases to amaze me how perfectly reasonable persons violate some of the cardinal rules of hiking in mountains. Even on the manicured pathways of Switzerland and other European countries, one is well advised to (when at all possible) have a hiking companion. Second, ALWAYS inform your host where you are going and at what time you expect to return. Third, stay on the paths. NEVER go "exploring" -- unless in the company of a local person who knows where the hidden, sudden, and steep drop-offs occur. Fourth, always carry a flashlight, a whistle, and a metal mirror -- for signaling. I have been hiking since I was a child and know never to violate these simply rules.

Old Jan 28th, 1999, 10:54 AM
Bob Brown

Gimmelwald is the first cable lift stop ascending from Stechelberg to Murren. <BR>If you will take a look at Kev Reynolds trail guide, you will see several routes leading from there into the Sefinenfurka and over toward the Ober Hornsee. <BR> <BR>I agree in general with the admonition to never hike alone, but if you stick to the more populous trails around Grindelwald and Murren, there are people all along the trail. When we walked up to the Faulhorn, the trail was actually crowded. It was about like hiking on a city street! I would not advise anyone to tackle alone the Hohturli pass that <BR>one crosses when hiking from Murren over to Kandersteg. I also would not want to tackle the Gemsweg above Saas Fee alone either because it is not heavily travelled and it is very steep with cables to hang on to. It is also so hidden in the cirque of the Sass Glacier that little direct sunlight reaches it, so a signalling mirror would not be very useful. How about a cell phone?? To day that hits me as the ultimate safety protection.

Old Jan 28th, 1999, 03:18 PM
Linda

Sara - I plan to do the same trip sometime in Sept. If you can remember, e-mail me when you return and let me know how it went. Thanks. <BR>

Old Jan 28th, 1999, 06:50 PM
Anna

We stayed in Gimmelwald last October and stayed at the Pension next to the Hostel. The hostel is right by the gondola station so you can't miss it. The view of the Jungfrau towering over you from across the valley is incredible. If you plan on spending more than a few days in the area you may want to look into the Berner Oberland train pass. We had a Swiss Pass which covered the gondola as far as Murren and the trains as far as Grindelwald. It was a great value.