Venice Vaporetto passes online?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plan on buying 72 hour vaporetto passes when I stay in Venice from 9/22-9/25, but I'd love to have them in hand when I arrive.

Is there any way to purchase the passes in advance online? A simple online search has not reveled any solutions.

Thanks for any help!
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 12:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
here's the link to the veniceconnected site where you can buy passes on line in advancE"

http://www.veniceconnected.com/node/1503
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 12:31 PM

cdispoto,
Go to the site ann mentioned and purchase your pass. You will be given a number. Take this number with you to Venice. When you arrive, the machine you will look for to print your passes is located in front of the train station. As you are standing at the top of the stairs it is located on the right, next to the water. You enter your number into the machine and it prints your pass. Very easy and quick. No line.
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 12:36 PM

We purchased our pass upon arrival in Venice. Just outside the train station, there is a ticket office near the vaporetto boarding platforms. Not much of a line and just as easy as retrieving tickets from a machine.
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 12:39 PM

Assuming the OP is arriving by train... cdispoto, how are you arriving and at what time of day? What time do you leave? Where are you staying?

I don't see the point myself in buying tickets in advance. The one time we considered it, on only about our 2nd or 3rd visit, we would have picked them up at the airport - but our flight was so late that everything was closed, so I'm not sure what would have happened.

Are you even sure you need 72 hour tickets? Will you even be here for 72 hours? Have you been before? Nearly all the main sights - the ones you'd be likely to want to visit on a first trip - are walkable from alamost anywhere you are likely to be staying, and walking is most often quicker, easier and pleasanter.
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

We will be arriving by train around noon on Sunday, 9/23. We will be staying for three days and staying in the Dorsoduro area. I know everything is walkable but I feel that we will probably use the vaporetto enough to make it worth our while and even if we don't, it'll be worth the piece of mind.
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 12:53 PM

I thought having the pass was very convenient. We did a lot of walking but it was nice to hop on and off the vaporetto whenever we wanted or were just plain tired of walking. It was also fun to ride the vaporetto at night to view all the lights up and down the canal. Beautiful.
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 12:57 PM

Be sure to check the exact amount of hours you will be in Venice and needing the pass. The pass goes for 48 or 72 hrs from the first time you swipe it as you board the vaporetto. If you arrive at noon on the 23rd and leave on the 25th you might be able to get the 48 hour pass and just pay for your last trip your self, if you leave after noon.
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 01:01 PM

good point, michele. IMO, if you want to do some serious exploration a vaporetto pass is invaluable.

if you do a trip out to the lagoon - I recommend Burano and Torcello - it will pay for itself.
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 08:29 PM

Each to their own, but I still don't see why using the machine to print off pre-booked passes is any easier than just using the machine to buy said passes - also no line that I've ever seen (manned ticket office yes, machine no).
Old Aug 27th, 2012, 09:05 PM

The PNR system is so easy to use. I'm not a fan of ticket machine kiosks that require a credit card for purchase. The less I need to pull out a credit card in Europe, in public, the better I feel.

I also enjoy being more organized and using my time efficiently. If I can pre-purchase items on the internet before I arrive, why not? It's one less thing I need to do when I'm there. I tend to know my schedule ahead of time and know when I will want to use a boat. I also love being spontaneous. Having access to boats for my entire time in Venice makes me feel free to do what I want when I want.

I totally understand why someone might want to make these purchases in advance. I'm glad they're available.
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 06:19 AM

I don't recall if there is any price advantage to purchasing ahead.
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 06:31 AM

michele - i think that the website says that there is, if you purchase a long time in advance.

I remember for our last visit, we'd missed the date to get the discount, so we got them on arrival.
Old Aug 28th, 2012, 06:01 PM

I believe the bigger discounts for purchasing ahead are offered in low season. I recall for a March visit that by purchasing ahead I got a 7-day pass for the price of a 72-hour pass. This was in 2011, so may no longer be the case. If you visit the veniceconnected site and scroll to November, you'll begin to see low season prices.
Old Aug 29th, 2012, 02:30 AM

Fair enough, but on a point of information the normal ticket machines do take cash.
Old Sep 1st, 2012, 08:45 AM

Watching this thread ~ if we but tickets ahead of time, and we arrive by car and park at Piazzale Roma, where would we print out the passes?
Old Sep 1st, 2012, 09:18 AM

I think I have posted this already but many here seem not informed. Sorry but all above informations about online purchase on veniceconnected site, given in good intentiosn however, are OUT OF DATE. No advantage buying in advance AT ALL any more sicne about a year or so. Veniceconnected is having problem (with vaporetto company, ?, I don't know but) and there is no discount given anymore. The discount was the only advantage about buying in advance. Now that that's no more, it's definitely better buying a pass when you get there. You don't need to find one of the exchange points with limited opening hours. This info is asked and given repeatedly at Venice Forum, Tripadvisorcom. I think you can get more updated infos there with locals and frequente visitors to Venice there.
Old Sep 1st, 2012, 09:24 AM

So if we don't get them online, where do we get them when arriving by car and parking at Piazzale Roma?
Old Sep 1st, 2012, 09:26 AM

Too simple. At P.R. Vaporetto stop.
Old Sep 1st, 2012, 09:44 AM

wrenwood,

once you have parked your car, you will find that you are in a large [open air] bus station with the grand canal in front of you. as you walk towards the vaporetto stop, there is a ticket office on the left just where the steps/ramp starts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -