A chacun son goût

Search

A chacun son goût

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
A chacun son goût

Over and over again, I see this mistakenly written as "Chacun a son goût" by English speaking people, including a tattoo around Robbie Williams' chest.

The correct expression is "à chacun son goût" -- "to each his own (taste)."

It is most certainly <b>not</b> "Each has his taste," which is the translation of that other formulation.

I hope some people have learned something.
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 11:58 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
OK, I've learned something about word order (already knew about the "to" vs. "have" thing, but usually type without accents on an American keyboard). Thank you. Now that I've learned my new thing for the day, I will turn off my mind till tomorrow.
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<It is most certainly not "Each has his taste," which is the translation of that other formulation.>

This would be useful on the "A Modest Proposal" thread over in the Lounge.
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 12:52 PM

French son just said "a chacun son gout" sounds really weird to him - having grown up in France he says he never heard that term - he says maybe in Quebec they use that

he says they never never say "a chacun son gout"

on a tous des gouts differents - he says you would say this but a chacun son gout he says is simply ridiculous - he says simply not something anyone would say

???
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 01:27 PM

They are possibly a bit different in Orléans. I certainly know kerouac's formulation, and I hear French more often in Brittany than in other parts of France (although I visit the Loire valley often enough, on average one year in three).

When in doubt, I find it best to use a different expression, and I like "on ne discute ni des goûts, ni des couleurs" ("one does not argue about taste or colour"). To my mind, it conveys the idea better.
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 01:34 PM
ira

Hi K,

Well live and learn.

So Strauss got it wrong when he wrote "Chacun à son gout" in <i>Die Fledermaus</i>?

Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 01:39 PM

"he says you would say this but a chacun son gout he says is simply ridiculous - he says simply not something anyone would say"

Well, Voltaire wrote it ...........
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 02:15 PM

I have never heard it any way other than `a chacun son goût. And I can recall Monsieur Vincent from 5th Grade correcting another student who said chacun à son goût.
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 02:24 PM

I find it best to use a different expression, and I like "on ne discute ni des goûts, ni des couleurs" ("one does not argue about taste or colour").>

this he says is used but repeats never heard either version of Kerouac's versions. Tres mysteriuse - he did get honors in French BAC

perhaps it is an archaic expression found mainly in old French literature?

Or maybe in the Loiret, where along with Tourraine they say they speak 'pure French' it is not used?
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 03:27 PM

Palenque wrote: "this he says is used ..."

Did you doubt me?
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 03:34 PM

This is EXACTLY why all of my tattoos are just pretty pictures- not phrases in languages I don't understand.
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 03:52 PM

Your pretty pictures might well correspond with hieroglyphs and constitute an obscene message.
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 04:38 PM

True. I got a fleur de lis tat in a shop in the 8th Arr. and while it isn't obscene I understand not everyone is fond of the political symbolism. I didn't really care about old Clovis. I just think its pretty.
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 04:47 PM

Thanks for the chuckle, amwosu.
For what it's worth, this old French major (at a US college) was taught "a chacun son gout", just as kerouac noted. Maybe it's just an Anglo attempt to translate the untranslatable. Oftentimes adages don't translate well between languages, and another adage altogether better captures the meaning. Thank you Padraig and Palenque, "on ne discute ni des gouts, ni des couleurs" is a new one for moi. Always nice to learn something new. Merci, EJ (Please allow for the missing accents. I just can't find an easy way to type them on my keyboard. Any good suggestions out there?)
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 04:52 PM

But it's just about an exact equivalent of "to each his own." It's not an issue of adages not translating between languages in this case.
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 04:58 PM

Literal translation, of course it works, stcirq. But if what Palenque's son says is true, then it's not used in conversation to convey "to each his own".
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 05:24 PM

I think Palenque's son is just incorrect in this instance. I hear the phrase all the time in France, and it definitely means to each his (own) taste.
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 05:36 PM

Good to know. BTW, have you read "Foreign Tongue" by Vanina Morsot? It's the story of a translator, set in Paris. Lots of French/English word play peppered throughout. I really enjoyed it. EJ
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 05:46 PM

I've been clueless all these years it seems. I always thought it was "Chacun a (accent grave) son gout" IE Each to his own taste.

I even used it the other day with -- as I imagined -- withering scorn, on a wordreference.com forum, in an Eng-Fr translation debate.

Live and learn.
Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 06:11 PM

Yes, I've read Foreign Tongue. Very interesting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -