Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Heathrow to Leceister Square transportation?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am flying into Heathrow in March, landing at 7:50 am. Obviously, leaving the airport via a car service will take some time at that time of day. I am wondering if anyone knows how onerous the Leceister tube stop is when lugging a wheelie bag. I took the tube from the airport once before (to Covent Garden), and recall saying "never again." But it does seem the cheapest and quickest route. Ideas?
Old Jan 30th, 2011, 09:37 AM

Not cheap, but perhaps quicker would be the Heathrow Express followed by a taxt.
Old Jan 30th, 2011, 09:39 AM

<<I took the tube from the airport once before (to Covent Garden), and recall saying "never again.">>

Given that CG has a few steps and elevators I'd think that you'd have real difficulty with Leicester Square and it's escalators and steps. However unless you get a car service (approx £35) I can't think of any way you could get there without having even more inconvenience.

Given that CG is a couple hundred yards from LS perhaps you should bite the bullet and use CG again.
Old Jan 30th, 2011, 12:58 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
What was wrong w/ Covent Garden? It uses lifts so is one of the easier tube station in the area.

Leicester Sq isn't terrible -- but there are crowded stairs up to street level so harder than CG.

If CG was too difficult, then you'll want a pre-booked car service. That won't be fast, but it will be comfortable w/o any hassles.

I'd never use the HEX and a cab since that would cost more than a car service and still require bag schlepping (at both ends of the journey)
Old Jan 30th, 2011, 01:09 PM

OP might well find themselves caught up in the tail end of the rush-hour, depending on how ling it takes to get through immigration and so on. I must say, if I had to get one case with wheels up to street level, I'd favour Covent Garden over Piccadilly Circus (which is also pretty close to Leicester Square), over Leicester Square station.
Old Jan 30th, 2011, 01:16 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd choose Covent Garden too. Piccadilly Circus, w/ all the exits, can be pretty confusing in a jet lagged fog.
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

I'm thinking that the jet-legged fog will make the car service the best bet, all in all. Thanks for the information on the number of steps vs. lifts at the tube stops, though, that was what I was wondering about. I'm not really in any big rush, since I don't yet know if my hotel will allow us to check in until later in the day.