Lander ticket from Frankfurt

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2008, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're flying into Frankfurt but want to go to Strasbourg or Trier. Will any of the Lander tickets cover either of these destinations from Frankfurt?

Thanks so much.
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 06:43 AM

A short €3,60 RMV S-Bahn will get you from FRA to Mainz. From there a Rheinland-Pfalz-Ticket (€26 up to 5P) will cover you to Trier.

Strasbourg is a little more compicated. On a weekend, a Schönes-Wochenende-Ticket will be valid on the German side of the Rhein all the way to Kehl, which is a short trip across the river to Strasbourg.

During the week is not so easy - a Bahn ticket to Mannheim and then a Baden-Württemburg-Ticket (€27 for up to 5) to Kehl. The least expensive way to Mannheim (€14,60 pP) is to take the S-Bahn to Frankfurt Hbf and a regional train from there, but that is a little tedious. An ICE, direct from the Fernbahnhof at FRA to Mannheim costs a little more (€21,50), but is easier.
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so very much Larry. You always come through. Yes, it's on a Friday, to complicate things.
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 08:11 AM

AFAIK there are coaches (run under Lufthansa logo) from Frankfurt airport to Strasbourg. They even codeshare - you can book a flight ticket to Strasbourg via Frankfurt and the last leg (FRA to Strasbourg) will be a bus. But I donīt know whether they run to Stasbourg airport or to the main station.
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 09:05 AM

The train takes you to the main station. The bus also goes to two other stops in Strasbourg (incl. the Hilton).

However, the 2.5 hour bus connection costs €55 1w and between 8:30 AM and PM., the buses are 4 hours apart.

If you take the ICE from FRA to Offenburg, the Bahn ticket all the way to Strasbourg is €49,20 and the trip usually take just over 2 hours. There are train connections every hour.

You can also take the

Old Oct 31st, 2008, 09:20 AM

You can also take the S-Bahn to Mainz RL-P ticket (€3,60 p26 for 2)to Karlsruhe, Ba-Wü ticket (€27) to Kehl, and a local ticket to Strasbourg (€3,50 pP) - about €33 pP).
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

I've found the Rheinland-Pfalz map at http://www.der-takt.de/fileadmin/Bil...rp_ticket.html

Will any of these towns get me anywhere into France, where I can just pick up a rental car?
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

OK, I think I've figured out if I just want to get to France I should first go to Mainz, buy a Rheinland-Pfalz ticket, travel to Saarbrucken, (direct on a regional train) then onto Metz. Is this the easiest way for the best price?

Thanks for your help.
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 02:23 PM

three is also the ryanair bus that will take you to frankfurt hahn from FRA, which is then a skip to the mosel area. there are buses to trier ( and MANY other places)from the airport at hahn, but i do not know the schedule.

and lots of nice b+bs near HHN.

the mosel from there down to trier is lovely.

how are you? i haven't been in cincy for over a year. time to go back!
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 04:57 PM

German train website:

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

From Saarbruecken to Metz is 14.40 euros. Takes 1:12 hours.

Is Metz or Strasbourg your destination, or someplace else in France?

Regards, Gary

Old Oct 31st, 2008, 05:09 PM

I've got about 20 maps from db.de, but I have never been able to find one showing where the Land-Ticket zones overlap (such as how the Rheinland-Pfalz ticket extends across the northern border as far as Bonn, and also includes Saarland).

Anybody got a URL?
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 08:39 PM

Images2 just posted the complete URL for RL-P map (at www.der-takt.de). The Bayern-Ticket map is at www.bayern-takt.de, and the Baden-Württemburg map is at www.3-loewen-takt.de. There used to be one for Hesse, but their website (www.dashessenticket.de) now only has maps for the three Verkehrverbünde in Hesse. Nordrhein-Westfalen has one somewhere on their site, www.nahverkehr-nrw.de.
Old Nov 1st, 2008, 11:24 AM

Robespierre, sorry I was ready for bed when I made my last posting and not quite ready to explain everything.

On the Bayern-Takt website, click on "Bayern-Takt Netzkarte" (bottom LH side of page), then on link to "Gesamt-Netzkarte (Download als .pdf...)".

For the 3-loewen-takt site, click on "Bus & Bahn von A-Z", then on "B" on the alphabetic banner, then on "Baden-Württemburg Ticket". Lastly, click on link to "Streckennetz B-W" (bottom of page).
Old Nov 1st, 2008, 11:34 AM

For the Nordrhein-Westfalen map, go to http://www.nahverkehr.nrw.de/d/3210.

There are two Regionalverkehrsplan(s), 2007 & 2008, under the heading "Netzpläne". I can't immediately see the difference, and the 2007 Netzplan is smaller and takes less time to load.
Old Nov 1st, 2008, 11:47 AM

Thanks - I've got all those (and a large number of others, as well). I was asking about <b>ONE</b> map that depicts DB services in <u>all</u> the L&auml;nder.

(By the way - the VRS map at nahverkehr.nrw.de is the 2006 version. Here's this year's: http://www.vrsinfo.de/download/1_9_1...lan_gesamt.pdf)
Old Nov 1st, 2008, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much everyone! You're a great help.

Hi Linda! Cincy is pretty nice right now. The trees have turned, and it's 73 degrees out. Just went on a nice long bike ride on the bike path. If you get back, give us a call and we can meet.

We're going to China in May!!! I just bought tickets for Germany/France for September and wanted to figure out how to get to France from Frankfurt without a car rental. We'll spend most of our time in France, but I'd love to see a bit of Germany again first. Tickets from here (really from Dayton) are much less if we fly into Frankfurt, then out of Paris.

Hope all is going great in Valencia. Did you go to the Formula one race there this year?

Thanks for the tip on the buses!
Old Nov 1st, 2008, 02:09 PM

re F1 race.. just saw it on TV. don't think i could have handled the noise!

enjoy your trips.

if you have not been to that part of germany, it is really fun, good food and wine and sights and easy to maneuver.

i have no idea if that ryanair bus to HHN is of any use to YOU, but at least it is direct.

fro bernkastel kues you can take a boat to/near trier, i think.. maybe my geography is wrong.

i will definitely let you know next time i am in town. and if you ever get this way.. would be great.

i can't help but think of you anytime i go to barcelona or send friends there!
Old Dec 29th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

http://www.der-takt.de/broschueren/

This is a new link to the Rheinland Pfalz ticket brochure with a map of the covered area. My old link no longer works.