Search

2 Days in Istanbul

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2015, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 Days in Istanbul

Hi,

I'm planning for a short 3 days trip to Istanbul, it is more like 2 days as I will touching down in Istanbul in early morning on Friday and leave on Sunday morning. I've been to Istanbul previously and have covered the essential attractions such as Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, Hippodrome, Topkapi Palace, Basilica Cistern, Grand & Spice Bazaar.

I've not been to the other side of the Golden Horn on the Taksim Square, I was wondering if I should opt for a hotel in that area or if there is any area that is better in terms of accommodation?

As I have covered the key attractions, was thinking of doing Chora Church, Rustam Pasha Mosque, Suleymaniye Mosque, Galata Tower and maybe either one of Dolmabahce Palace or Beylerbeyi Palace. My interest would be in architecture and historical sites mainly but I also would like to be able to have a quick stroll in off the beaten path neighbourhood where the locals stay.

Is this plan doable or is it too ambitious. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.
Old Aug 17th, 2015, 12:51 PM

I was in Istanbul for 5 days last month and split my hotel (and sightseeing) between both sides. (Click on my user name for my - long - trip report.) I stayed at the Pera Palace Hotel which was offering reasonable rates for a luxury hotel and I thought the location was very handy. Near the Tunel (funicular stop) as well as a Metro stop and about a 5 minute walk from the pedestrian main drag (Istakl Caddesi).

Out of all the mosques, I liked Suleyman the best so would definitely recommend it. Also, the mosque next to the modern art museum - you could pop in there too! And, wander the streets right along the river in that area (Karakoy) if you're interested in history/architecture since that's an up and coming area that still has a bit of grit (not dangerous). Taksim Square itself it not very attractive and I wouldn't stay in that area since the places i wanted to visit weren't close.
Old Aug 17th, 2015, 06:51 PM
kja

"As I have covered the key attractions, was thinking of doing Chora Church, Rustam Pasha Mosque, Suleymaniye Mosque, Galata Tower"

I consider those all to be key attractions, so if you missed them, then yes, it would make sense to try to visit them. And maybe a ferry ride along the Golden Horn and tea at the Pierre Loti Café.
Old Aug 30th, 2015, 02:17 PM
kja

If you decide to take a ride on the Bosphorus, just use the local ferries -- they are more convenient and much less expensive than tour boats.
Old Aug 30th, 2015, 05:07 PM

The NYTimes has a 36 hours in the Asian side of Istanbul article. I second the Bosphorus recommendation though perhaps not the 6 hour one. I liked Kadikoy and the Asian side more than I thought-seemed more like a modern city with some wonderful markets and shopping.