Search

Germany Austria Family Vacation

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2017, 01:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Germany Austria Family Vacation

Hi guys
I am a bit in a fix and need help in planning our family holiday. We want to include Germany (Munich, Frankfurt and more of the southern Germany) and a bit of Austria (areas near Salzburg) With 3 kids (11,8 and 5) we dont want to go to vienna. Since we loved to drive around and enjoy the scenary, we will be covering most of the places by car. we have about 2 weeks on our hands, so thinking of doing 4 to 5 places. My husband wants to fly out of Amstredam.
PLEASE suggest me places to fit in my itenary.
Thanks
Old Jul 16th, 2017, 02:04 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
first question - why are you flying into and our of AMS when you want to go to Germany and Austria? The obvious airport would be Munich or Frankfurt, though even Frankfurt is a bit off your route. Driving/getting the train or even flying from AMS to Munich or Salzburg is going to cut a day or so off your trip, which when you only have 2 weeks to play with is quite a lot. if you are doing this for reasons of economy, it seems like a false one.

Assuming that you can sort out that little problem, you could spend a few days in Munich, then hire a car and drive south to the Tyrol and do a large circle round to Salzburg and back to Munich, or go east and explore the Salzkammergut, ending back in Salzburg again.

With children of that age, I'd want to spend the middle 7-8 days in the same place - perhaps in an aparthotel in somewhere like St Gilgen on the Wofgangsee - and bookend it with stays in Munich and Salzburg.

Hope that helps - I suggest doing some research in guide books and/or on line to see what places and activities you and your kids might enjoy in those area.
Old Jul 16th, 2017, 03:17 AM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
When are you traveling? Summer? Winter? Christmas? Driving around to enjoy the scenery can mean different itineraries depending on the time of year.

Driving around with three young children for two weeks could also be a recipe for disaster; and the logistics of moving around so much will shorten your holiday.

Like annhig suggested, some research might help you define your preferences, which might help those on Fodors better address your question.

And, why Amsterdam?
Old Jul 17th, 2017, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

My husband has some business in Amsterdam so its a last minute addition....driving around with my kids is not an issue as they dont mind it much.....main idea was to land in Munich and explore around. I am trying to figure out the most reasonable places to stay so we can easily go around. would have loved to go all the way till vienna but with kids, want to keep it minimal and manageable. There are no doubt so many places worth visiting but keeping my kids in mind, want to narrow it down, that is why need suggestions.

we are planning to go in mid august.

Thanks for your responses
Old Jul 17th, 2017, 12:38 PM

Your children, if they haven't already seen them, might enjoy seeing Ludwig's castles. Neuschwanstein, Hohenschwangau, and Linderhof are about an hour drive from Garmisch-Partenkirchen.

In Garmisch, there is also the Zugspitze, the highest peak in the German alps, accessible by train and gondola.

Ludwig's palace, Herrenchiemsee, is on an island accessible from Prien am Chiemsee. The children might enjoy the boat ride and the walk or carriage ride across the island to the palace.

I find that hotel prices in Germany tend to be pretty reasonable, especially in the smaller towns, but you'll be there during the height of the tourist season so you'll have to shop around. Check out booking.com.

I also agree with Annhig about the Austrian lake area south of Salzburg (a lovely town) especially St. Gilgen, St. Wolfgang, Hallstatt.

Then there's Berchtesgaden and Königsee with more scenery, a lake with boat ride, the eagle's nest (Kehlsteinhaus) of WWII infamy.

There are salt mines near Berchtesgaden and at Hallstatt (they claim to be the oldest) and it would be fun for the kids to visit one of them.

Ultimately, there's more than enough to keep you busy; but if you are talking about this August, you'd best get busy on booking.com or Trivago for your hotels.

Enjoy your planning!
Old Jul 17th, 2017, 01:39 PM

Hallstatt! Kids will love the high Alps and the salt mine tours - Lake District too -have the family watch the Sound of Music, filmed in Salzburg and the Lake District.

St Wolfgang -take the old steam train up the mountain backdropping town and lakes -wondrous views up top - yes you will hear 'the sound of music all around' as well as the famed Edelweiss.
Old Jul 18th, 2017, 03:58 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
turns out that Eurowings fly direct from Amsterdam to Munich, which would be my preferred way to get from one to the other, given your time constraints. [look at kayak.com for further details]

this compares with 8 hours driving, ignoring any stops; realistically you'd need to have a least one night stop, which if you are flying out of Amsterdam takes 4 days out of your vacation.

and yes, if this is this August, you need to get your skates on.
Old Jul 18th, 2017, 04:53 AM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Have to agree with the above comments. Two weeks split between the Salzkammergut and Bavaria would make a lovely and low-key holiday, with plenty of activities for all ages.

We (almost) routinely spend a week in August in Salzkammergut; there are beaches at Mondsee; water sport options at Wolfgangsee; cable cars for alpine wandering; day trips to Salzburg or Hallstatt if something is going on; and we have been doing so since our youngest child was 11 (and now, almost 16). Garmisch is another favorite destination; we have spent long weekends in the area and love the breadth of activities on offer.

Though, if you are planning for this August, finding lodging is your biggest challenge. The family apartment we rent along Wolfgangsee was reserved back in January.
Old Jul 19th, 2017, 01:15 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your replies and all your help. Have booked half of our trip....will let you know how it goes.