I'm a first-time Europe traveller and I am seeking some help for my itinerary. I am a 23 year old female who will be traveling with 2 other 23 year old females (one also a first-timer, the other not, all three pretty avid travelers in the States).
We are hoping to see Ireland, Scotland, and England. We are planning the trip for August, which we know may not be the ideal time, but it works for us with vacation days so we're seizing the opportunity. (So please don't suggest a different month).
We are some-what flexible for dates. We are hoping to leave around the 8th or 9th of August and return sometime in the week of 23rd. We need to be back for sure by the 26th for a wedding. So there's potential to stretch the trip a couple of days (i.e. 16/17 days instead of 14).
What is the best route to take if we are hoping to see those three countries? Major cities we hope to see are Dublin, Edinburgh, and London.
Does it make more sense to fly to London from the U.S., travel by train to Edinburgh, and then fly to Dublin -- fly home? If we are hoping to see some of the countryside in Ireland or Scotland, what is the best suggestion there? Should we rent a car? What stops should we see and what should be miss? What are experiences on day trips that are guided? We are more of solo travelers looking for authentic experiences, might not be super excited about a group tour bus trip so helpful hints to avoid that would be great.
Open to any suggestions about places to stay (budget friendly!) or things to do. Honestly, we would just like some help for a realistic route since we aren't familiar with Europe travel. Thanks!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Paris, Normandy & Amsterdam with College Graduate
- 2 Italy 9 Days in December/Itinerary Help
- 3 May Germany, Switzerland, and Iceland
- 4 Pubs showing NFL football in London?
- 5 South of France
- 6 Family vacation
- 7 Looking for Good Eating in Valencia
- 8 Tips for first trip to UK
- 9 Yet another London Hotel Question
- 10 which language school in Italy?
- 11 Language course in Trieste, Northern Italy
- 12 Three nights in the Italian Riviera: hiking in Camogli with day trips
- 13 European Christmas Markets Itinerary
- 14 London flat feedback wanted - yes, I'm going slightly crazy!
- 15 GTG Paris December 2017
- 16 Dubrovnik
- 17 Sampling Some of Sicily and Bits of Italy Beyond
- 18 How many miles is a good 'walking tour'?
- 19 Christmas in South of Spain 2018
- 20 Spain December/ January 2018/19
- 21 Driving
- 22 3 weeks driving the Netherlands
- 23 Help With Itinerary By Train: London, Paris, Nice, Florence
- 24 Christmas Markets 2017
- 25 Budget trip