Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

1 week Paris itinerary check si'l vous plait?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bonjour!
I'm hoping that those of you who have been to Paris before can critique my itinerary. I've never been to France before and am very excited, leaving in 1 month! I love museums and history, not a foodie or a big shopper and will be on my own. Any insights you have to offer would be most welcome! My plan looks a bit hectic even to me in places, but I can be flexible. I've tried to allow time to just explore different areas that sounded interesting. Any thoughts?
Thursday
- arrive Paris Gare de Lyon at 13:30, buy carnet for metro, walk to apartment on Ile St Louis and meet owner
- walk around to Place des Vosges, have lunch; grocery shopping at Monoprix
- walk around to Pont St Louis and Pont Archeveche, along left bank to:
- Musee d’Orsay, buy museum pass, open late
Friday
- Notre-Dame Cathedral
- Ste-Chapelle, buy concert ticket
- walk around Ile de la Cite, Pont Neuf to:
- Louvre, open late
Saturday
- metro to Invalides
- Napoleon’s Tomb
- Army Museum
- Musee Rodin
- if time or inclination permits, metro to Denfert-Rochereau, visit the catacombs
- concert at Ste-Chapelle
- walk around Ile de la Cite
Sunday
- market near Cite metro stop
- Musee Cluny
- Pantheon, walk around Maubert vicinity
- L’Orangerie, open until 19:00, walk around Mabillon vicinity
Monday
- train to Chartres, Malcolm Miller tours
- ballet at Opera Garnier at 19:30
Tuesday
- Sacre-Coeur, walk around to vineyard
- Musee Jaquemart-Andre, tearoom
- metro to Basilica St Denis, return to Champs Elysee
- Arc de Triomphe, tomb of the Unknown Soldier
- metro to Trocodero, Eiffel Tower, probably won’t go up
- Bateaux Parisiens
Wednesday
- train to Versailles for the day
Thursday
- pack and take train to CDG for flight home
Old Aug 10th, 2007, 11:45 AM
yk

If you like art, try to squeeze in Musee Marmottan.
http://www.marmottan.com/
Old Aug 10th, 2007, 11:47 AM
ira

Hi T,

>Any insights you have to offer would be most welcome! <

Oick one thing to do the morning of each day and one the afternoon of each day.

For the rest of your time, just enjoy being in Paris.

You can't see it all in one week, and you shouldn't try.

Old Aug 10th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks YK for the recommendation for the Marmottan, you never know what you might end up doing when you actually arrive someplace, do you? It might depend on the weather, unexpected closures, transit problems, or just your mood! And a good reminder to slow down from Ira. When I've travelled by myself in the past I've filled many happy hours in just one museum. On the other hand I like to stay busy and set a fairly brisk pace. There will be, unfortunately, no romantic interludes, long candlelit dinners or strolls hand in hand! Maybe I'll have time for extra sightseeing this way though...Do you have any other ideas for ways to enjoy Paris? Like I say I'm not a big shopper or a foodie, in fact don't care much for wine, at least so far.
I may save the Bateaux Parisien for the Versailles day, when arriving back to Paris, how would that be?
Old Aug 10th, 2007, 01:42 PM

I just got back yesterday from Paris. We did several of the things that you have on your itinerary. One thing you might want to consider -- The Catacombs close at 4:00 p.m., and you will wait an hour to get in. You might want to schedule that for an earlier time, or you may run out of time. Also, bring a flashlight. It's very dark down there and you cannot use a flash on your camera.

Also, it appears you have scheduled pretty much every moment of your trip. Save time for the surprises in life. Half the fun of Paris is getting lost and discovering something you never knew existed.

Have fun!
Old Aug 10th, 2007, 02:01 PM

I think your plan looks pretty good. You will have time for wandering around on Thursday, Friday and Sunday especially. Especially if you do not pause for shopping!
Old Aug 10th, 2007, 02:11 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
just one quick comment - the Musee d'Orsay is probably the very worst place to buy your museum pass. You will have to wait in line to buy it.

And just go w/ the flow - you most likely won't get to everything on your plan, but for the most part it is doable.
Old Aug 10th, 2007, 02:37 PM

Looks pretty OC to me, but I'm guessing when you actually get there you'll chuck half of it and just enjoy yourself.

Ditto to NOT getting your museum pass at the Musée d'Orsay.
Old Aug 10th, 2007, 05:31 PM

I think it looks good! I sort of do the same thing - scope out activities per day ... but then sort of let the place take over when I get there ... But looks good to me. Rodin Museum is one of my favorites ... I wish I was going !!!! Au revoir...
Old Aug 10th, 2007, 09:20 PM

Good Lord!!! You're not OCD are you??
It's sacrilege to go to Paris with this kind of regimented itinerary! Mon Dieu!!

Get lost! Listen to the music of the streets! Get a baguette and a chunk of cheese and go to the Seine and sit and eat and watch life go by!!

Go to a cafe...listen to the music of the language!

Museums are like zoos when you're somewhere like Paris. Paris IS a museum!! And a lover! And a brute!!

Beware of the Gypsy children. They'll steal your heart and then your wallet!!

The Eiffel Tower is most fun at night! Go with a picnic. They walk blanket to blanket selling wine. It's very lively. Then around 11 or midnight...do to Cafe Mozart (I think that's what it's called.) Its right next to the pyramid outside the Louvre. Have a cognac or if you don't drink, a hot coco!

Don't be a tourist, be a Parisian...you'll have a magic time!!

Bon Voyage!
Old Aug 10th, 2007, 09:28 PM

I might suggest that your first day will be out of whack if you plan on eating lunch after you walk to your apartment. You get in at 13:30, and by the time you get your apartment details squared away, most restaurants will have stopped serving.

I agree with everyone else; kick back!

Old Aug 11th, 2007, 01:24 AM

Arriving at 13:30, walking to apt, getting details, eating and trying to get a museum pass at the D'Orsay..yikes!

Get the pass at one of the smaller places along your route..Picasso, Delacroix, Ste-Chappelle, Conciergerie, Notre Dame.

SOmeone will correct me if I'm wrong , but the Louvre late hours are on Wednesdays and Fridays..not Saturday.
Old Aug 11th, 2007, 01:25 AM

I know some of the places I listed are not "Smaller" than the D'Orsay but that late in the afternoon, you still might have a better chance.
Old Aug 11th, 2007, 02:44 AM

It's obvious you've done your research and what's more, you understand your pace will be vigourous. So my only suggestion is to take each of your daily schedules and prioritize, because some of your planned activities might not be feasible. Example: we wound up spending from morning till almost mid-afternoon at Napoleon's tomb/Army museum; I don't think we could have managed another museum afterward (went window-shopping instead.) Bon voyage.
Old Aug 11th, 2007, 03:37 AM

First: It's apparent you've done your research...well done! That said, I lean more toward Baubo's remarks. Not enough spontaneity.

As I count it, you have 6-1/2 days? You don't say if you're arriving after an overnight flight, but that first half day may be a little ambitious. I usually reserve that time for getting passes and wandering around the area near my lodging (and visiting a crepe stand!).

Unless you've got your heart set on them, I would drop one (if not both) of the day trips. Being congnizant that I'm addressing MY preferences---not yours---I would want to spend more time "becoming part of my neighborhood". You're staying in a beautiful spot; but you've allowed so little time for it. Ex: that first afternoon I would pick a cafe near my apartment, a place to become a "regular". Have your late lunch, return each morning for a coffee while reviewing plans for the day. Some nights you may want to go there for a light dinner, a nightcap, or dessert. Kind of like having "friends" in Paris!

Visit Place des Vosges when you can spend more time nearby. It's a different and interesting area. Picasso musee and the Carnavalet are there. We love wandering through the Jewish Quarter (with L'as du Falafel as the prime destination!). There you'll see what's left of medieval Paris...before "modern" urbanization. Another tour we enjoyed was Opera Garnier.

We had a similar list for our first trip...never used it. It became more of a check off list to peruse each morning before setting out and, even then, we only got to about half the things on the list. Paris is so alluring. I predict your fondest memories will be when you "went off schedule" and simply followed your heart.
Old Aug 11th, 2007, 04:10 AM

I'm not sure when I'll get to go, but I'll use this to help with my planning.

I had a list for Rome. I reviewed it each evening and decided what I wanted to do first thing the next morning, then let life direct us.

I learned it from other Fodorites when I started reading these posts -- you can't do it all on one trip, and plan to go back again some time. It's a great way to approach it.

Have a great trip. Would love to read a trip report from a first timer...
Old Aug 11th, 2007, 04:20 AM

Tumblingweed...The first time I went to Paris I had a similar list....and then I got there. Your loist is organized so you will find it easier to pick and choose what you wish to see. We dropped things off our itinerary when we found ourselves enjoying something else. But the itinerary was great in that it helped us plan for our NEXT trip. Whatever we missed the first time went right to the top of the list for the next time. So keep the list, it will help keep you organized just don't stress when you find yourself deviating. That is the best part of the trip usually!

Also, buy your museum pass at the Arc de Triomphe. No lines.
Old Aug 11th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Wow, some really great tips here, I really appreciate the thoughtful replies. I'll be arriving by TGV from Annecy after 5 days/nights in the French Alps, and will be travelling by car the first week of my trip. I will of course be flexible, it's likely that I will find other things of interest along the way or be unable to make it to others, don't you think? On a similar trip to London (had 10 days though)I had a long list of sights and activities, actually managed to do and see most, and had a blast! Ditto for Edinburgh, Amsterdam, Boston...I think that I enjoy just hanging out more if I'm with somebody, but travelling solo seems to put a different spin on some things. And in case I never make it back to Paris (highly likely considering all the other places I've haven't been to yet)I want to make the most of my limited time there. I'm not rich, so don't get to travel as much as I'd like. So maybe I can be forgiven my careful research and planning? I guess I am "obsessed" with travel and feel "compelled" to learn as much as I can about a place before I go, so I must have OC (at first I thought that meant Orange County)! I do appreciate the tips though and have learned several helpful things from this forum. Happy trails to all.
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 12:49 PM

Ahhhhhhh, Paris. My favorite city. I actually cried when I returned home.

I am out of breath just reading your itinerary! You have quite the ambitous to do/to see list. My advice, like others have mentioned, remember to take time to just enjoy the moment. I went to many of the sites you listed, amongst my favorite things to do- just sit and sip coffee with a crepe or a glass of wine and watch the pariseans go by. However, if you are really trying to stick to an itinerary, I would try and narrow your museaums down and make more time for just two or three(for instance, the Louvre is so huge and overwhelming you may want more time than just one afternoon and evening). You may also discover while your there, other things to do.... (maybe bike riding or driving a golf cart around Versailles)... Just enjoy and don't worry about seeing everything on your list!
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 07:02 AM

If you're a history buff, consider spending a few hours touring the Pere Lachaise cemetery. I found it fascinating. Use the Gambetta metro stop...that way you will be walking downhill, not up!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -