Windjammer to SanBlas?

Search

Windjammer to SanBlas?

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windjammer to SanBlas?

Hello! Has anyone done this cruise? We are looking for an adventure with our 18 and 19 year old children on June 10th. I am thinking this will be a Captain Ron type trip. Our son is graduating from high school this month, has already moved out on his own and we are looking for a graduation trip. Last year and other years have done the mega cruises RCI Voyager class, and while we had fun times and it was very nice but I think it was kind of boring for the kids. It was early summer and not many other kids off from school yet. We are looking to throw these kids (for a loop!) into a memorable bonding adventure. As well as my recently empty nested DH and I. Has anyone done this itinerary on the Polynesia and what can you tell me about it? Thanks!
Old May 5th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, it's the Mandalay for SanBlas Islands!
Old May 5th, 2007, 12:47 PM

I know nothing about the ship mentioned, BUT I think your teenagers will be bored to death in San Blas.

I really enjoyed the island but it only took about about an hour to roam around to see everything. I was able to visit their school, watch the ladies working, and the men doing some fishing. That's about it for the San Blas islands.

If your kids are bored on a Royal Caribbean ship, I can't imagine the smaller Windjammer being any better.

Of course these are just my opinions. We'll look forward to others on this forum helping you out with more info.

Happy cruising!
Old May 5th, 2007, 04:15 PM

I disagree that they'd be bored. I took my youngest son on the Poly over his summer break from college. It was August so only 35 people on board and he had a blast. He was the youngest and tried almost everything. We have great memories.
Old May 5th, 2007, 04:26 PM
pat

I don`t think your son will be bored on a windjammer either. It is nothing like one of those big cruise ships. One of the best things to do it go up to the deck and sleep on one of the lounge cushions and watch the stars. You will have plenty of company! Everyone gets up and goes to their cabins by 3 or 4am, as they start swabbing the deck around 6 or before.
Old May 6th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies. Im thinking the smaller less anonymous atmosphere would be more stimulating and memorable to these kids. I do like any opportunity to expose them to other cultures and expand their worlds. And we just got another foot of snow here and we are all ready for somewhere warm!!!
Old May 6th, 2007, 11:37 AM

I think it would be a great bonding experience. We took the Windjammer Legacy through the Bahamas when our kids were 14 & 11. Had been on the "big" ships before and this was completely different. The island stops themselves were nothing to speak of...either uninhabited or just a small town...the destination itself was not necessarily the special part of the trip, it was the Windjammer atmosphere. I have never taken a vacation where there was so much interraction with other passengers & crew. The atmosphere really fosters conversation with each other and new people. To this day, my kids think it was the best vacation ever. Everyone lets their hair down, doesn't worry about what they are wearing and just relaxes and enjoys the beautiful scenery. There is not that frenzied feeling of the big ships where you always feel like you are missing some activity or show. We have another planned next winter to the Grenadines. I say go for it. For more info, check out the message board on Jammerbabe.com. If you haven't seen the website yet, there is a ton of Windjammer info there.
Old May 18th, 2007, 04:01 PM

We did the Phantom for our 10th ANV, and had a great time. The kids will love it and the adults will love watching the kids have a great time.

I describe it as "camping on the ocean." Pack what you can get into a duffle bag, then take half of that out and you will have all that you need.

We enjoyed it so much we gave a cruise on the Flying Cloud to out son as a high school grad gift. He almost jumped ship in Barbados and stayed, still not sure why he didn't!

BTW: the Phantom went down in a storm and several crew that we had sailed with were lost, RIP.