Wine on Princess cruises

Search

Wine on Princess cruises

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2013, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wine on Princess cruises

My husband and I are taking our first cruise. We have booked a 14 day Panama Canal cruise . We are wine drinkers. I noticed that on Princess cruises you are allowed to bring wine, with one bottle per person free of charge. Every additional bottle entailing a corkage fee of $15. I am thinking that it might be worthwhile to bring a case of wine with us if wine on board will be very expensive. My understanding is that the wine you bring may be consumed on our balcony as well as in the dining room. I would appreciate any advice from experienced Princess cruisers.
Old Mar 1st, 2013, 11:55 AM

I don't count as particularly experienced...I went on one Princess cruise in 2009. We were on Coral Princess...perhaps that's the one you are taking through the canal?

We brought a couple of bottles on board, and ended up drinking them in our room one evening with family. We never took any to the dining room.

I will say I was actually quite impressed with the Princess wine list. It had many good selections and the markups were really not bad. it seemed to me less expensive than a restaurant at home. this may be, in part, because of tax rules (is all the wine served, essentially bought duty free?). So while you are still better off with your own wine +$15, you probably will find you aren't actually spending a fortune if you order off their list.
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback.
Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback.
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 05:34 AM

Hi keenie, we cruise all the time so it varies from cruise line to cruise line as far as the alcohol policy. Go to the Princess website or call customer service and ask what their policy is about bringing wine onboard. They do not encourage bringing other alcohol onboard. Again, can vary.

We just returned from a 15 day transatlantic on Celebrity and their wines were very expensive. We, too, like to drink wine w/ dinner, etc. Princess should offer a wine package where you can purchase so many bottles of wine for a certain price. If you purchase from Princess then there is no corkage fee and the wine steward will open your bottle of wine at dinner. They will save it for you for the next evening if you do not finish the bottle. So guess it's a trade off of paying the $15. corkage fee vs bringing your own. Most of the bottles of wine onboard Celebrity were in the $35. per bottle range, some slightly lower. Of course they are trying to discourage people from bringing their own wine!

If you are bringing your own wine onboard, pack a small travel size wine opener in your check in luggage (not your carryon). I always have one w/ us when we cruise. You can open your own bottle of wine in your cabin and consume in your cabin. As noted, others have done this.

When are your going on your cruise? Some of the cruise lines have been offering free gratuities and/or free beverage packages when you book a cruise w/ them. Not sure if Princess is offering anything. You have to do your own checking on what the cruise lines are offering and contact your travel agent if you find anything.

I would suggest you go to the www.cruisecritic.com boards and check out your Roll Call for your Panama Canal cruise. After you get onto the website, up in the right hand corner you will see a "forum" category, click that open (you will have to register if you want to do any posting but can browse first), scroll down to the "Roll Call" area, look for Princess and then your ship and cruise date. You will find lots more info on your cruise there as well as tours, etc. It's a great source of information for you.

Good luck.
Old Mar 4th, 2013, 05:58 AM

I just found the wine selection on Princess website:

CHAMPAGNE/SPARKLING WINE:
Dom Perignon (France) Item #2010 $181.00
Nicolas Feuillate (France) Item #2120 $62.00
SPARKLING:
Korbel, Brut (California) Item #2012 $27.00
Martini & Rossi, Asti Spumante Item #2013 $29.00
RIESLING:
Chateau Ste Michelle Item #2121 $28.00
SAUVIGNON BLANC (Kenwood) Item #2122 $27.00
Pinot Grigio (Danzante/Italy) Item #2123 $34.00
Chardonnay Robert Mondavi/CA) Item #2124 $27.00
Simi (California) Item #2125 $34.00
Pinot Noir (Castle Rock/CA) Item #2126 $34.00
Merlot (Round Hill/CA) Item #2127 $26.00
Franciscan (California) Item #2128 $40.00
CABERNET SAUVIGNON:
Casa Lapostelle (Rapel Valley, Chile) Item #2129 $31.00
Kenwood, Jack London (Sonoma Item #2130 $50.00
Shiraz (Rosemount/Australia) Item #2131 $31.00
ZINFANDEL:
Sextant (California) Item #2132 $33.00
WHITE ZINFANDEL:
Woodbridge (California) Item #2110 $26.00

The wine offerings may vary from ship to ship but this gives you an idea of the wine prices onboard. These prices are actually much less expensive than what we just saw on Celebrity!
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 07:08 PM

We were on this cruise 2.5 years ago. The guy in front of us embarking on the Coral had a dolly with a case of wine and best coffee and a expresso machine. Claimed they drank in room. That trip, we could pick up wine in different ports or you also could take a limited amount of beer. We took a couple of bottles a couple of times. No problem. Just got back from a Royal Carribean cruise - no alcohol unless you bought it from them. The Princess was a fabulous cruise. Going throught he canal was amazing. Our cruise was longer but they were making more Mexico stops then. Awesome trip.
Old Mar 10th, 2013, 10:07 AM

I think it just depends on who is doing check in at embarkation time, in the various ports, etc. Sometimes you can bring "stuff" onboard and nothing is said, just the luck of the draw.

On our most recent cruise in Nov. on Celebrity, there was a couple dining near our dinner table that had brought his own expresso machine onboard, so maybe there are no restrictions on that. Who would be bother lugging that aboard when you can visit the specialty coffee shops aboard the ships. Funny what people will bring aboard w/ them. I am lucky I can close my suitcase w/ all the clothes we bring on a cruise.
Old Jun 26th, 2013, 06:35 PM
RM7

The best values are the more expensive wines. Wines available in the store for $10 will cost $30 on the ship. Wines available for $65 will cost $80 on the ship. If you like fine wine ... you will find wines on the ship much lower then restaurant prices!