Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Pre-Cruise Civitavecchia Hotel w/FCO transfers. Any suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2012, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for a clean (double room) hotel (near Civitavecchia Cruise Port for pre-cruise stay. Budget NTE $150/night. I would prefer if FCO shuttle even if surcharge applies. Any recommendations?

I also posted omn the Europe Forum; it is a Hybrid question
Old Jul 21st, 2012, 06:35 AM

We are going there too in Oct. I did not find a hotel iwth a transfer in Civitavecchia though you might get one in Rome. I did not try for this as we have no plan to stay in Rome, just go to Civi. The best I found was this guy below, $85.00 from FCO to Civi for a shared ride.

[email protected]
Old Jul 21st, 2012, 01:02 PM

You need to understand the geography. FCO is located SW of Rome and Civit.. is NW along the cost - about 50 miles from center of Rome. The connection between FCO and Civit is marginal at best. No direct train service or regular shuttle service and is an expensive cab ride. And it could be 70 miles. Civit.. is a small port city with very limited tourist facilities. There are a couple of Best Western style of hotels just south of the port. Last time I checked, they do not provide shuttles but taxi will work. I still think the best plan is to stay in Rome - we done that four times. We always stay around Termini and take the train. About an hour ride depending on which train you grab.

You will see your ship from the train station. About a half mile walk to the port entrance and from there a shuttle bus takes you to you ship's check in. There is a shuttle bus (1.2E) from the train station and taxis BUT there will be long lines and crowded so it is easier to walk. Nice walk, flat, smooth sidewalk along the beach.
Old Jul 21st, 2012, 05:32 PM

I don't understand why you would want to stay in Civi either unless you have been to Rome b4. There is not much to see or do there. It's just a port town. If you are flying into FCO, why wouldn't you stay in Rome and try to arrange a transfer from Rome to the port to board your cruise ship. We have done this several times.

There are many taxi and limo companies that will do a transfer from Rome to Civi. I can give you the names of several that we have used. Perhaps if you went to the Cruise Critic Boards and did a post there you could arrange to share a ride w/ others heading to the port. This is what we ususally do and it is much cheaper doing this.

If you are not familiar w/ the CC boards, then go to www.cruisecritic.com and open the website. At the top you will see a "Boards" category, open that and then you will need to find the "Roll Calls" and your ship and departure date. You can also post but need to register first. Many people also share tours in the ports by posting here. You can save yourself lots of money. I do it all the time. As fmpden notes, you can also take the train and that is easy to do also. Good luck.
Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 06:24 AM

Actually we have been in Rome before and simply prefer to get to our hotel, relax, have dinner and be done with it, then get on board the next day asap. If we feel like it Civi does have some attractions but for us its not a factor to consider.

Thanks for your concerns and advice.

Luv2: I would look into any link for transport that you may have. We are not interested in doing a shared ride with anyone on cruise critic but if its arranged by the limo co. thats fine.

Cheers, Larry
Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the kind replies-- fmpden, luv2travel15: I have been to Rome many times, also to Civitavecchia; been a member of CC since 2003-- so I understand the geography :-? and still need an answer I have seen several Civitavecchia hotels advertising airport transfers for a surcharge; hence the question regarding suggestions.
Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 02:07 PM

Hotel San Giorgio is about $150 a night, close to the station and port. Hotel Porto Di Roma is in the old town, and slightly cheaper. Hotel Samarcanda is real cheap and offers free shiuttle to the train station. The rate they charges depends on time of year. Good luck!
Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 04:13 PM

Is the San G in Civi or Rome?
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 11:19 AM

The San Giorgio is in Civi and offers shuttles from FCO 4 times daily at 4 hr. intervals beginning at 1030AM. However they quoted me €127.00 per person inc. breakfast. However as Eschew said you can get a room (with breakfast) for 2 for about $ 150.00. I actually would be ok with their deal if not for the fact that our fl. Arrives 0745 so it's too long to wait for the shuttle.
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 11:49 AM

Larry, it maybe shorter time frame than you think.

Flight arrival at 7:45, by teh time you get off, get luggage, clear immigration, that would be at least 8:30.

Have coffee and breakfast at the airport. That would be another hour, taking you to 9:30. If there are delay with flights, or long line ups at immigration or takes longer to get off the plane or colelct luggage, then you will be rushed to get to the 10:30 shuttle.
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 01:35 PM

Maybe. However I have to think about dragging our bags to breakfast. I don't know. I sort of like the idea of going to Civi and having breakfast at the hotel. The hotel said they could get us a private car but their price is higher.
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 07:08 PM

Try RomeCab? But for only 2 people, it would be expensive as well.
Old Jul 25th, 2012, 04:13 AM

Unless I can find a better price the guy noted above is the best I've seen. $85.00 for a shared ride isn't bad.
Old Jul 25th, 2012, 08:13 AM

I will post some links for transportation companies I have used or have been recommend by friends. I will have to do it later as I am on the way to an appt. Is the $85 pp?
Old Jul 25th, 2012, 09:17 AM

Actually its for the trip itself. Thanks! Larry
Old Jul 25th, 2012, 01:40 PM

Laarry, I think it is 85 euros, not 85USD. You want to doluble check.

San Giorgio charegs 50 euros for the shuttle services, a difference of 35 euros.
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 05:15 AM

Here is a website w/ hotel listings for Civi:

http://goitaly.about.com/od/Civitave...top-hotels.htm

Transportation links:
1) http://www.limoinrome.com/index.php
I have used Claudio & he is very reliable.

2) http://romelimocab.com/index.php
Have special price of E85. for 1-2 passengers, see other rates on website.
3) http://www.fattoricarservice.com
gets good reviews on Trip Advisor, one person said they were a no show.

See if any others are willing to share a ride w/ you. This is what I did the last time we visited Rome on a cruise. I posted on CC boards and got people to share the van w/ us, works out well and you save money.

Rome Cabs is E85. for 1-2 and not USD.

Good luck. Have a great trip.
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Luv2-- Thank you for the kind replies. I hope I can someday be as kind and helpful to you-- I'll make sure to pay it forward!
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 05:37 PM

Eschew. Yep, it's €85.00. I've decided to use them.
Old Jul 27th, 2012, 06:51 AM

Larry, when are you leaving?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -