Post-cruise motion sickness-normal?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2004, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just returned from a cruise 24 hours ago and I'm still feeling a swaying motion-not feeling sick or anything but a definite feeling of movement. Is this normal?
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 08:05 AM

Yes. It will go away in a couple of days.
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 12:20 PM

Schoolmarm, felt the same thing. Couldn't walk a straight line at work on MOnday. It went away by that night followed by getting the flu once again this year.
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 02:25 PM

Very normal - your inner ear has not yet adjusted to being back on land. It can take me up to week, before the floor stops moving.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 05:38 AM

I agree with those above...perfectly normal. You'll hear it refered to as "still having your sea legs".
Most lines will mention it to you in one of their many talks.
I'll bet by the time you get this, the problem is already gone. If it continues more than a couple of weeks, see your physician as inner-ear problems can be involved.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 01:48 PM

I suffered for two weeks after being on a house boat for a long weekend. Ginger works a treat and will get you balance back on track pretty quickly. A lot of motion sickness tablets actually contain ginger so I would recommend you take those as it will help. I don't suffer sea sickness but always take the ginger tablets during a cruise to minimise this awful feeling.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the info and advice. I'm feeling fine now-no more feeling of movement. Now I just have to get over having to go back to work!
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 03:53 PM

This is a reply and information for the very few people for whom the rocking doesn't go away in a few weeks or months:

There is a rare syndrome that is becoming more common as cruising increases. A person takes month or year to get their "sea legs" back after a cruise, boat ride, or even an airplane trip. Many of us have had this syndrome for years after taking a cruise. If you feel a rocking, swaying, or bobbing motion, imbalance, and fatigue and have difficulty concentrating every day, all day, you probably have this. For a select few after being on a boat, plane or in car this feeling gets longer every time. We are not crazy or making this up it is a documented vestibular syndrome. It is generally thought to be an inability of
the brain to re adjust to land.

This is called Mal de Debarquement Syndrome (MdDs). If you need information email me or contact http://nhffoundations.net or type in Mal de Debarquement into Google. A lot of people feel like they are going crazy when the rocking doesn't stop for weeks or months and this actual effects your ability to think and speak for most people, in some degree. We are trying to increase awareness of this syndrome and let people know what they have. I have had this for over two years after a cruise. I have had other shorter episodes after boat rides and cruises.

It is true that other types of vertigo are similar to this syndrome, but many doctors have never heard of this. Most of the people in our support group (yahoo) self-diagnosed and had to print out Medical articles (Dr. Timothy Hain) to take to our own doctors. I am just trying to get the word out that there is such a syndrome for the people who are struggling with this. I had this after my first cruise for 1.5 years; it went away in one day. I went on a 2nd cruise 6 months later and now have had it 24/7, for 2 years and 4 months, not fun. We have over 100 people in our support group and some have had it over 14 years. They cannot work or function normally. Some drugs are helpful for different people. But it helps to get ideas on treatments and coping skills.

Here's some web sites: www.earaces.com/maldedebarquement.htm
http://www.tchain.com/otoneurology/d...ntral/mdd.html

We have a great support group on Yahoo:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mdds_support/
Good luck to all that have this.