Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

First time cruiser; questions about leaving ship at ports.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2007, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have only taken day cruises to the Bahamas and in January will be taking a cruise to the Panama Canal on the Coral Princess. One of the reasons we chose this cruise was because of the ports we will visit on the way and back.

Is there information provided on the ship about shore trips? Do they offer suggestions or possible ship sponsored trips?

I've read numerous reviews of the ship itself, but no one seems to have anything to say about the protocol regarding visits to the ports.

Thanks for any advice!
Old Jul 1st, 2007, 11:11 PM

On the website of Princess, you will most likely find informartion about tours offered.
Also go to the boards on :
http://www.cruisecritic.com/, there probably is a "Roll-call" going on by your fellow passengers.
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 03:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I went to both sites before posting here but didn't really get much information on this, other than which ports they visit. Maybe I missed it.
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:12 AM

You should find info. on Shore excursions on the cruiseline's website or on CruiseCritic - Port of call board.

or if you are still without info. call your Travel agent or the cruiseline and have them direct you to the right area online.

Good Luck
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:19 AM

I took this trip this past March. feel free to email me with any questions and I would be happy to help. [email protected].
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:45 AM

The princess website does have a listing of shore excursions, but since you're not sailing until January, the ones available for your cruise are likely not yet posted. That said, you can look at the ones that are currently posted to get an idea of what they might offer. See if this link works for you: http://www.princess.com/shorex/index.jsp

If you're on a partial transit of the Canal, I understand you can only leave the ship to go ashore in Panama if you are on a ship-sponsored excursion. (You'll want to verify this as I have no first hand experience of a partial transit.) Booking your own excursions in the other ports of call should not present a problem if you wish not to book a ship-sponsored excursion.
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for the great advice. I'm an old pro at tooling around Europe, but I've never cruised before so all of this is new to me! Thanks crackers, I will email you and pick your brain but not until I get home from work tonight. Too busy here today; Mondays...Aaarghhhh
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 08:39 AM

EENUSA said, "If you're on a partial transit of the Canal, I understand you can only leave the ship to go ashore in Panama if you are on a ship-sponsored excursion. (You'll want to verify this as I have no first hand experience of a partial transit.)"

This is correct, I have taken this cruise several times and will again in December. You can only take a ship sponsored excursion from within the canal. Late in the day you will dock at Colon and can get off the ship for an hour to shop at the marketplace, but that is the only opportunity to get off the ship if you don't take the ship sponsored excursion.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 10:54 AM

I took this same cruise, and am in total agreement with above posters. I'm sure all the excursions are the same, so just look at what they're offering now to determine what will be available then. If I remember correctly, Princess was having some issues with their website when we booked - and it took awhile before the excursions for our cruise came online. Look at the other cruises (different times - heck, even different ships - excursions are similar....) Good luck - the Panama Canal was very cool....
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 11:04 AM

Princess mailed us a big 'book' of all the tours they offer. Got this a few weeks before we left on 10 day southen Caribean cruise last Novembr. You most likely will get this. You'll have time to decide if you want any of their tours or will go off on your own.