Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Princess vs Celebrity - worth the extra $$ ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2006, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I want to take an Alaskan cruise in July, trying to decide between Princess and Celebrity, one way northbound from Vancouver. We are both early 30's, and are excited about both the on-board experience and enjoying the shore excursions. Celebrity is a little more $$, is it worth the extra money? Can anyone tell me what the major differance is?
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 12:35 PM

No Celebrity is not better if your priority is Alaska??? Princess has Glacier Bay and College Fjords, superior to Hubbard. The routing is also superior with more scenic sailing, after Hubbard on Celebrity, it is open ocean and across the Gulf. Only plus is Seward- you would be touring there wouldn't you??? That could be a factor as it is a don't miss location, and way too many miss out completely by just passing through.

Best recommendation I can give, add at least 5 days for interior touring. Otherwise a round trip Vancouver cruise will be a good option if you go with Celebrity. Do your homework on locations, ports, routes, glaciers. All important in cruising Alaska.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 01:10 PM

BudgetQueen makes some good points as far as itinerary is concerned, but for the ship itself Celebrity is well worth the extra money. Princess will nickel and dime you to death and you'll end up spending just about as much money taking it with lesser food and cabins. Depends what's more important to you- the iitinerary or the ship itself.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 03:02 PM

We prefer Princess to Celebrity because we like the Personal Choice dining. I'd pay more for that.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 04:33 PM
pat

Been on both lines more than once. I prefer princess for their heated fresh water pools and also, there just seems to be more to do on princess. I thought both lines nickel and dimed you about the same. I leave on Norwegian fri for Hawaii, and am anxious to see that that line is all about.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 08:16 PM

I'd pick Celebrity over Princess anytime to anywhere. In my opinion, the service on Celebrity is sooooo much better than Princess. To me, that's well worth a little more $$$.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 01:38 AM

I would take Princess over Celebrity - the route is significantly better (Glacier Bay and College Fiords). Celebrity does not have permits to Glacier Bay (definitely a must do in Alaska).

As far as Princess nickel and diming you - this is not true. Actually, I feel more nickel and dimed on Celebrity where everything on the ship is 30-40% higher in price (drinks, internet etc). A friend just returned and couldn't believe how expensive things on the ship on Celebrity were compared to other lines.

Also - Princess has Personal Choice/Anytime dining which I think is a huge benefit in Alaska - you can stay in ports late and go to dinner whenever you want.

Maybe it was just the sailing I was on, but I sailed Celebrity in my late 20's and was bored in the evenings. The entertainment was geared towards those 3x my age. I also found several things on the ship inflexible - the buffet wasn't open 24 hours a day, I often returned to the ship late afternoon only to find hamburgers as my only choice for a late lunch. When the buffet finally opened - it had the strangest finger sandwiches I have ever seen.

I am now in my 30's and I love the flexibility that Princess has. I won't be going back to Celebrity until I am much older.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 05:46 AM

Some time ago I posted a thread entitled "is Celebrity slipping" based on the experiences a friend of mine had on Celebrity. Bear in mind he and his wife have taken scores literally of Celebrity cruises before. What bothered him was not only what happened to him on his Sept. cruise but also X'x reply to his letter about it. You may want to look it up.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 01:08 PM

FYI in the latest issue of CN Traveler the top 4 rated large ships are all from X. In order:
Constellation
Millenium
Summit
Infinity.
X has 6 0f the top ten in fact. The ratings are based on the # of points out of 100. The top pick, the Connie has 89.6 pts. and # 10, the the Radiance has 85.7 so you can see the difference from 1-10 is not huge. The Coral Princess is #11 with 85.1 pts. Interestingly though X and RCCL have merged the food ratints for X are considerably higher even though RCCL has 4 ships in the top 10. Overall the food on Princess is rated well above RCCL despite the latters overall higher ranking.
The Tahitian Princess, which we will be taking in Aug. is ranked # 5 overall for medium sized ships ( ) with Crystal and Seven Seas taking the top 4 ranks.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 03:47 AM

Hi reindeer1

My family (my husband, 18 year old son & myself) are taking our first Princess cruise this summer - to Alaska.

In the past, we'd taken 2 other cruises in the Caribbean, one on Royal Caribbean (Enchantment), one on Celebrity (Galaxy). While Celebrity was supposedly known to be slightly superior to Royal Caribbean, we noticed NOTHING SUPERIOR ABOUT CELEBRITY. In fact, we thought the food, specifically -which people often praise Celebrity for- to be better on Royal Caribbean!! Both ships, at the time we'd traveled, were about 2-3 years old - and similar in size, etc. I really think it is a false claim that Celebrity is superior. I think it's all in the marketing... they seem to portray Celebrity as a bit more refined and sophisticated... RCCL more youthful, exciting, etc... BUT I don't think that is the case at all! Both lines had beautiful areas, very good service, etc. BOTH lines had a wide array of passengers: from classy to trashy.

Even Carnival, which I had always thought of as the inferior line (I'd always thought of it as the trashy, sleezy line) - , I have changed my opinion about - I have some people close to me, who I trust as good judges of class, taste, etc., to have gone on Carnival's newer ships and have raved about them! SO, the bottom line is, on all of these larger lines, they all have their pros and cons regarding service, ambiance, food & entertainment.

Now, as for Alaska- as several have stated above, Celebrity does not have rights to go to Glacier Bay. That is pivotal (to me - as I have heard repeatedly that it is SO IMPORTANT TO SEE!!!)! I have never sailed on Princess before -so cannot say anything good or bad, but based on all the reviews I've read (and I've read A LOT!), and based on my experience with the other two lines, Princess is certainly the choice over Celebrity!

Good luck - and enjoy!!!

Lisa
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 03:34 PM

Again, this is so subjective. The ship is quite important to me, Alaska or not. On my first Alaska cruise, we were completely rained out. Miserable weather, cancelled excursions, and it never got better. I was really pleased I had chosen a great ship for the trip.

IMO, X is better than Princess across the board. And I much prefer traditional dining.

So, while the itinerary is important, IME it is not the ONLY consideration.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 05:22 PM

Agree with previous poster, X is overrated. Princess and HAL are the leaders in Alaska
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 10:24 PM

What is X?
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 05:00 AM

X is Celebrity.

Sorry for your rained out week, but there is little reason to sail expensive Alaska if you don't want to do some great touring and experience excellent scenic sailing.

After 35 cruises, I don't see any "bad" ships. Very similar, I'm sure you will enjoy any of them.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 05:01 AM

I meant to add. You need to be prepared for a wide range of weather sailing Alaska. I always have rain gear and I'm still out on the front decks enjoying my viewing. Same in ports, I have my long poncho, waterproof shoes, plus a spare pair back in the cabin and off I go.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 08:39 AM

BudgetQueen, I understand your point but not everyone visits Alaska for the same reasons. While I appreciate the reasons you choose to cruise Alaska, I am a city girl and my reasons do not match yours.

Yes, I appreciate the beauty of the region and I enjoyed the cruises I took where the weather was good. Heck, I ended up having a good time on my rainy cruise because the staff and crew were terrific and the ship was lovely.

But, I am a pretty sophisticated traveller and my idea of a great vacation is likely not the same as yours. I have been on "bad" ships, and I would have much preferred to be elsewhere.

I do not think cruising is "one size fits all". That was my point.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 08:45 AM

BudgetQueen, I am leaving on my 106th cruise in 9 weeks on HAL so I have my share of the good, the bad and the ugly : )
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 10:36 AM

Everyone who has posted here is correct... everything is so subjective!

Although I've not yet sailed on Princess (only RCCL & X) - I do not know the quality of the line other than what I've read... BUT RCCL & X are so close (so I'm assuming Princess is too) in fact, I found my experience on RCCL to be more luxurious than Celebrity - and better food as well! Anyone who thinks that X is superior (in general) to RCCL must be falling subject to their marketing. They all really vary tremendously from ship to ship - so READ THE REVIEWS!!!!! Each of the main mid-range lines seems to have uglier, old ships and newer, more lavish ones. All have varied decor... some more contemporary, some more traditional... some dark some light and airy... I'm sure you get my point... BUT unless one is traveling on one of the luxury lines, a person should not really expect that Celebrity is any more luxurious than RCCL, Princess or even Carnival! Do not go on a cruise thinking that the food will compare to FINE DINING in a NYC gourmet restaurant - it is more akin to great food at a fairly large wedding...but it is wonderful, and you certainly will not go hungry!

In our case, several aspects are equally important: 1. Itinerary - wherever we go - I want to make sure we go on the BEST line for that area. (In Alaska, HAL & Princess rule for mid-price lines). 2. Beauty of Ship - this includes decor and maintenance. I love a beautiful cabin, light and lovely feeling on the ship and - very important - fantastic maintenance! I do not want to see smudges on mirrors or any shiny surfaces. I do not want to see warn carpeting or anything torn - get the idea? 3. Entertainment/Things to do - I don't want a sedate atmosphere... yet I'm not a party-animal either... I want things to do if I choose...a reason to walk around - something to check out...

All of those things are really equally important to me... and I don't think anyone can say that one line is best in any of those things on a whole...

My final words of advice: INVESTIGATE! Read reviews in books and online... there are tons!!! Look at photos!!

Enjoy!

Lisa
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 01:45 PM

To each their own. This board is about exchanging ideas and hopefully accepting personal differences regardless of the # of cruises one has taken. We all know what we like!
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 09:19 AM

I definatly agree it is worth extra $. The entertainment is 1st class and great! I still like princess cruise lines though, if you don't care about the entertainment you should go on the Princess Cruise line! That is what I think. Have a great trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -