Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

HOW DO YOU CHECK OUT A TA'S REPUTATION??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are thinking of booking an Oceana cruise from a postcard sent by a TA. They say they are listed on International Air Transport Association, CLIA (Cruise Line Industry Assoc.) and Vacation.com (the country's largest travel agent consortium). They have a CST (California Seller of Travel Consumer Protection) Number. This all sounds great, but I don't know if these are the agencies that cover a TA's business reputation. Does anyone know?
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 05:09 PM
P_M

If you don't trust this TA, why not book directly with the cruise line? I prefer to deal with the source and not a TA.
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 05:50 PM

I am a travel agent and I would say you can always check the BBB online also (Better Busines Bureau), which I get asked a lot from customers, if we are on BBB online. Also as to the last reply..sure booking with the cruiseline is one way to go, however there are many times when travel agents will give you a better deal, so you may just also want to check both pricing..if the TA is giving you the same price and you are sketchy about booking with them, then it won't hurt to book straight with the cruiseline, but you may just end up getting a better deal from a TA! Hope this helps.
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

HawaiiChris - thanks for your answers. I have no reason to distrust the TA, I just like to check out who we do business with. Could you tell me, should Cruise TA's belong to ASTA? This one belongs to CLIA & IATA. However, there seems no reulatory arm of CLIA. Maybe I am being way overcautious (probably). I will check out the BBB. I think that's a good idea - Thanks!!!
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 04:29 AM

Just make sure if you need urgent help with a change or question, are they there 24/7 ?
One of the benefits of working with a bigger, more well known company is you know they will be there and how to get a hold of them, not sure if your mailing was from that type of place or a mom & pop agency...
People can pay money to work off a company's IATA numbers and become travel agents overnight, so even if an agent belongs to an association, it does not mean they have been in business a long time....do they have a website ?
Follow your instincts because you will be paying a pretty penny for an Oceania cruise and you don't want any hiccups when it comes to communication and service.
If you are unsure, I would book with Oceania directly...