Is this online travel agency credible?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone used CruseAdventureTravel.com? They have given lowest quote On Holland Alaska Cruise for Sept 2009 (I used CruiseCompete and looked at the ratings - 299 people and all good)
Old Oct 9th, 2008, 03:17 AM

We used them for booking Alaska trip this past June. No significant problems. I actually spoke to several helpful live people at their phone number.

Minor glitch when our original assigned "agent" joined the Army (or that was the story we got) and I had not idea - so emails to him went unanswered. I called and got a big apology, a new agent, and my questions answered.

They promised a shipboard credit which actually appeared on our bill. And unexpectedly they sent bottle of wine and fruit basket to each of the 2 cabins we booked.

Make sure you have analyzed the quotes. When I used cruisecompete they seemed straight forward, but turned out to be difficult to compare, partly because of all sorts of new fuel surcharges, etc that cruiselines have added. Make sure quotes you are comparing include port charges, tax, fuel surcharges, etc. When I did that even though I got quite a few quotes, they were really not all that different - a hundred dollars off or so. CruiseAdventureTravel was not the lowest, but the second lowest. The lowest one I tried to call and the person who answered sounded creepy and sketchy, so I crossed them off my list.
Old Oct 16th, 2008, 05:09 PM

Be Careful. Most large online sites are really safe and good to book with, it is the small operations you have to watch out for.

That rate you got is real low. I just searched and found $599 to be the lowest, I could find for that time of year on Holland America.

Make sure of a few things:
• If you need to you can get a live person you can by phone not just email.
• Is the site secure, look for a little lock on your browser or in the address line "httpsquot; If it is not secure, DO NOT give them your information on the computer.
• Make sure of the cancelation policy
• Also make sure you know what category cabin the rate is for.

I say it is low because Holland America is considered a luxury line. This means that they have more space on board per person than most other main lines. Plus they have more crew members per person. Thus a premium price for these luxuries.

Most of the clients I have booked cruises for love Holland America. But they almost never go with the kids.

Holland America is not to kid friendly. Meaning you usually do not have a kids program on board unless there are 20 kids booked on the cruise. I do not know if you have kids, but if you do you might want to rethink Holland America.

Plus think about upgrading to an outside state room or a balcony. In Alaska, it is worth it. Alaska is all about the scenery. And with a balcony, you will be in heaven.
Old Oct 17th, 2008, 03:49 AM

Bon_Bon - Where are you seeing those prices?

Old Oct 17th, 2008, 04:33 AM

Another way to protect yourself. After I booked/paid deposit with this on-line agency I logged on to Princess website - and was happy to see me registered there as a passenger with a credit to the account. I would do this a day or 2 after paying deposit and final payment to any travel agent - on-line or other. That way you have enough time to dispute the charge with your credit card company if it is charged and not credited to your travel - and also time to make other plans if necessary.

I do the same with any airline reservations booked at other than website of airline.
Old Oct 17th, 2008, 10:20 AM

I booked a cruise with them some time ago for Feb. 2009. B4 doing so I searched for customer complaints and found none. The price I got is very good and to be safe I insured outr trip through AE which also covers the agency should there be an issue. I think you will be fine and cruise prices are dropping even with luxury lines like Regent.
Old Oct 23rd, 2008, 05:08 PM

Katy,
On my web site.