Search

Never Again!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2004, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never Again!

Just got off the Caribbean Princess with 3100 other people onboard. Never again!

From now on it will be Radisson, Seabourn, Silversea, or Sea Dream Yacht Club even if it means only one cruise every year or two. There was wall to wall people everywhere. No room by the pool, no room for the shows, a mass of humanity in port, waiting in endless lines at the buffet, waiting for a table for personal choice dining. We were signing chits everytime we turned around as you pay for wine, drinks, water, sodas, etc. If you want to go to one of the "Exclusive" restaurants another charge for that. Not to mention tips, etc. By the time it was all over, I would have saved money by booking either the Radisson or Silversea cruise that we wanted to go on but unfortunately we were traveling with relatives and got out voted. Even they were regretting their choice.

Old Nov 20th, 2004, 02:17 PM

You pretty much described the mainstream cruiselines not just Princess.

We just got off Regal Princess, Nov. 13 and we were not as happy with them as HAL-the little extras were missing. But on both lines, the sodas and drinks are extra, HAL does have less people per ship but lines will form.

Sorry you were not happy. Hate to look forward to something and it be only half as good, hope you enjoyed the ports. But-the Carribean - is overcrowded, too.
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 06:32 AM

Once on Princess was enough for me too. Now it's Seabourn all the way.
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 03:48 PM

We are just back from the Star Princess and feel the same way. There were 2600 people and that is just too many. My husband and I were exhusted by the time we got home. Nothing relaxing about that!
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 06:52 AM

Can I just put in my two cents about mass market cruising? The ship itself has a lot to do with the crowds and experienc. I prefer the mid sized ships rather than the new mega ships (although it is surprising that the layout does make a difference even here). But, the most important factor is when you cruise. By all means, if you want some peace and quiet, DO NOT book a large cruise ship on the mass market lines at any holiday time, or when school is not in session!!!! For example, during spring break a ship holding 3000 plus passengers will sail with 1000 of those passengers under the age of 18! You will find that CArnival in February can be more peaceful than Holland America in the summer for example. Also, another tip is to find a cruise line that has adults only dining choices and pools. This will help you find a quiet spot at any time. Disney for example, while they do cater to families has a private adult beach on their island, a private pool for adults and private adults only dining. I am not saying that Carnival or other large cruise lines are for everyone, just that when you go and which ship you choose makes a huge difference!!
Old Nov 25th, 2004, 07:46 AM

Just got off the Caribbean Princess Nov 13th and don't think I'll be returning, anytime soon. The ship doen't handle the 3100+ pax very well in most of the public areas. I've sailed with Princess once before, along with Celebrity, HAL, NCL and RCCL and never saw public areas as crowded as they were on the CP. Lounges, as well as the Princess Theater were always lined with "standing-room only pax. Even those who arrived 15 to 20 minutes early couldn't find seating. The Anytime dining works if you make early reservations for the week or eat dinner very early or very late. Give me the traditional dining, where I'm not rushed around or waiting a 1/2 hour to be seated. The dining staff was working very hard to keep-up, but there's waaaay too few wait-staff. I think I'll stay with waiters who know my name and I know theirs.

Bob
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 02:37 PM

I am also done with mass-market cruising. Last May, my wife and I took a 4 day Bahamas cruise on Royal Carribean. We just wanted some time away. Although we had an OK time, it was amazing that at meal hours, it seemed as if a cloud of locusts descended on the buffet table. I was amazed at how uncultured a lot of people can be. Sort of felt sorry for the cruise staff, impressionable young Eastern Europeans for whom it may be their first exposure tou the USA. I say this even though being in the military, I am used to dealing with all sorts of people. From now on, I will save more and go on Radisson.
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 08:24 PM

Interesting how many of us have the same sentiments. When I go on vacation, the LAST thing I want is crowds, waiting in lines, hassles, rudeness with people butting and pushing in lines as if it's their last meal. I've come to despise buffets for all the above reasons. Some people feel they must load up with one of everything....just because it's there!

I much prefer to cruise less but make each cruise a GREAT experience, not just so so.