Reload this Page >

Has anyone go on the Sea Princess Mexican Riveria Cruise

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 01:29 PM
Gayle

I am booked to go out of LA on the Sea Princess at the end of Feb. Has anyone taken this cruise before? I have been on The Grand Princess how does the Sea Princess compare? (food/room/resturants?<BR>How far is the terminal from the airport? We want to take a cab and were wondering about the cost. Any good recommendations on excursions to take.<BR>Thanks in advance.<BR>Gayle

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 02:50 PM
Theresa

I have sailed both ships - but both were in the Caribbean.<BR><BR>The Horizon Court is almost identical to the Grand - less seating but it was adequate because it was a smaller ship.<BR><BR>Pizza is served in the pizzeria on Dolphin deck (Sea Princess) verses by the slice near the pool (on the Grand). On the Sea Princess, you order an individual pizza or calzone and you must eat it there - you can not take it anywhere.<BR><BR>On the Sea Princess and Grand Princess (sailed them a year apart) - the menus were identical on both ships and the some of the shows were identical on both ships (Gotta Sing, Gotta Dance).<BR><BR>The atrium on the Sea Princess is much nicer and overall - I liked the Sea Princess a little bit better.<BR><BR>There is no big arcade room on Sea Princess (that I am aware of).<BR><BR>Service was excellent on both for us.<BR><BR>I really liked the Sea Princess - hope to sail her again.

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 02:54 PM
Tony

Gayle,<BR><BR>I havent cruised on the Sea Princess before, but I have taken a cab from LAX to San Pedro (the port). Maybe we were unlucky, but our cab driver had no idea where San Pedro is. Had I not brought a map and guided him down the highway, then it would have been a nightmare.<BR><BR>Just in case...bring directions. <BR><BR>I can't recall the exact cost, but I would have to guess that it was around $20. <BR><BR>Hope this helps...<BR><BR>And since you have been on Grand, please check out my post titled, "Princess Balconies on Grand/Golden". I could use your help.<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Tony

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 05:23 PM
Linda

I went on the Sea Princess Mexican Riveria cruise. I would advise getting<BR>transfers from the cruise line for this<BR>cruise, the airport in Acapulco is about<BR>1 hour from the ship, and quite a distance in Los Angeles. I beleive it would be cheaper to do transfers. I went in September and all the ports were extremely humid and hot. If you've never been to Mexico you might want to do a ships excursion. We just got a cab at the port because there were four of us and had excellent tours of each port<BR>You of cours must see the high divers at Acapulco they are really great. The Sea Princess is a great ship have a great time.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 09:39 AM
Albert

Just got back from Sea Princess. Trip from airport to pier is about 35 to 40 minutes. We used Princess transfers, which I believe were $42 per person. A bit of a fiasco, but I understand that taxi cost is roughly $60, perhaps a bit more (the $20 quote would be the deal of the century).<BR><BR>Pizzeria (for what it's worth) does allow you to take the pizza away -- I don't know if you can order it "to go," but I saw lots of people on deck with them.<BR><BR>Show with comedy juggler was excellent. The rest (of the few I saw) weren't great -- hypnotist could truly put anyone to sleep (hynotism not required).<BR><BR>We took sea kayaking/snorkel tour in Cabo -- a real workout, and the coldest water I've ever snorkeled in, but overall very good trip. I heard that the Sierra Madre trip in the jeeps was pretty bumpy, especially rough for some older folks.<BR><BR>Ship is fabulous -- enjoy.<BR>

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 04:28 PM
Jack Sigano

We did this cruise last October. At that time the taxi rate was $40 between the L.A. airport and San Pedro. We have not been on the Grand, but felt the Sea was beautiful and very clean. Our room was an outside cabin, (no balcony) on the 8th deck. The window was 5 feet by 5 feet. Almost as good as a balcony. Unless you are into scuba or snorkeling, the excursions are the normal tour of the area.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 04:36 AM
Theresa

When I sailed the Sea Princess 2 years ago - they WOULD NOT let you take any pizza out of their restaurant.<BR><BR>They must have changed it.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 02:02 PM
Patty

I posted a review of my Sea Princess cruise from 12/22/01. You can find it at <BR><BR>http://pub66.ezboard.com/fcruising78624frm12.showMessage?topicID=2.topic<BR ><BR>The trip from LAX (assuming that's the airport you're flying into - Long Beach is a little closer but not many flight choices there) to San Pedro should take about 40 minutes. I don't know the exact taxi cost but it's definitely not $20 more like $40. Hope this helps. Feel free to email me if you have any questions.

Old Feb 1st, 2002, 01:00 PM
John

We did this very itinerary last year on the Rhapsody. We've been on the Sea Princess also and its our favorite ship of all (been on six cruises including the Grand). <BR><BR>San Pedro from the airport is quite a ways and the taxi is around $45. You can get van service for $10 apiece but I forget the name of the agency. Do a web search and I'm sure you'll find it. We used it to get to our hotel in San Pedro the day before we set sail.<BR><BR>The only thing we didn't like about our cruise was the weather both leaving LA and returning. The day we left (late November) the temp was around 50. The next day (sea day) it got to maybe 60 but with the ocean breezes too cold to lay out. By noon the next day as we pulled into Cabo, it warmed up into the 70's and was fine until our sea day back when we experienced the cold again.<BR><BR>In Cabo we took the obligatory trip out to photograph the Grande Arche. We booked thru the ship and paid double what everybody else that was out there with us paid. Just wait until you get to the tender pier - there are an infinite number of booths/tables that offer the trip out.<BR><BR>In Mazatlan we went horse back riding. We found a transplanted American who owned horses and had approval to ride them on a semi-private beach. We rode thru a coconut plantation and then onto the beach. We ate lunch at a local restaurant and hung around (literally) in hammocks and took a siesta. It was great and very inexpensive. She picks you up from the ship and gets you back in a cab. Email me if you're interested and I'll send you her email address.<BR><BR>Puerto Vallarta is great for shopping and relaxing on the beach. There's a hugh public beach with parasailing, snorkeling rental, etc. Shopping is good for leather and gold.

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 08:13 AM
Gayle

Thank you all for your replies. We are taking the Princess transfer bus from The LA Hilton to the ship. But our flight home is leaving at 12:30 and I did not want to rely on their transportaion. So we will just take a cab once we come off the ship to the airport. Thanks for the comments about weather. I thought LA would still be cold at the end of Feb. <BR>Can't wait to see the ship. <BR>We have a balcony room. We had a balocony room on the Grand Princess and I just love sitting out there in the mornings drinking coffee and planning my day.<BR><BR>Again thanks for the info.<BR>Gayle

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 10:49 AM
Albert

Feel free to use Princess transfers if you like the price -- they'll get you to LAX in plenty of time. We were there with 2 hours to kill for a 1:08 flight, and that was after a huge snafu loading our bus -- and note that flights before 1 p.m. disembark before all others.

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 02:42 AM
Vic

My parents and my sister's family recently sailed on Princess down the Mexican Riviera. They are veteran cruisers and they thought the food was surprisingly poor.<BR>