cruise-internet use and concierge services

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking to minimize the cost of internet charges while on the ship. Also, is there a way to get into the concierge room?
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 06:58 PM

The only way to minimize is use onshore internet cafe.
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 10:32 PM

The other way is to use internet via a cell phone connection - but beware of roaming charges, out of US charges - as well as some discussion here about chip surcharge for cell phone use.

We had a "Concierge" cabin on Celebrity - we got nothing more than soggy sandwich appetizers each afternoon - so bad we told them to stop bringing them - and who needs more food on a cruise anyway. We booked concierge class because it was only balcony cabin available at time we booked.
Old Nov 19th, 2009, 05:09 AM

Gail, if you are really suggesting that a way to save money on a cruise is to use a cell to get internet for $4.99 a minute, I think you've not thought this recommendation out enough.

I don't understand the question about the "concierge room". The way to get concierge service is to book a high-level suite, and if you can afford it, the service on most lines is really excellent. But this generally costs triple or more of the cost of a regular verandah cabin.
Old Nov 19th, 2009, 06:27 AM

I think he is really asking if there is someway to sneak into the concierge room thinking that the internet would be free there.
Old Nov 19th, 2009, 06:38 AM

Actually it seems silly to book a high end suite to save on internet. If that's what is being suggested. Actually, the best way to svae on internet is to treat your cruise as a vacation and eschew the use of internet altogether.
Old Nov 19th, 2009, 06:48 AM

People in suites sometimes do get free or reduced-price internet access, but there's generally only one internet cafe on a cruise ship. There are not usually internet terminals in a concierge lounge, which is accessed only by key card of someone who is staying in a suite.
Old Nov 19th, 2009, 08:01 AM

Some of the lines give free internet if you have sailed with them enough times. I get unlimited on Princess but have qualified for the level that gives that as a perk. So if you cruise a lot it might be worth using the company that offers that perk. (And you don't have to be in an upgraded cabin either) Also, I agree with Gail - did concierge twice with Celebrity but soggy canapes weren't exactly worth the extra price!!!! and no free internet either.
Old Nov 19th, 2009, 08:25 AM

I have a friend who has free internet on Princess, but he sailed so many times to get this status...

I remember on Royal Caribbean getting a book of coupons, one of them was for reduced internet price, and it was my one 2nd cruise with them.
Old Nov 19th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

how did you get the book of coupons? before you got onto the ship or once on board?
Old Nov 19th, 2009, 02:33 PM

I don't understand the $4.99/minute thing. I readily admit to being technology-impaired, but DH has some sort of card/deal with Verizon cell that somehow allows him to use computer to access internet - slow and acts more like dial-up service. He uses this to check email in airports that do not have free wifi and we all used it to check email on Alaska cruise 18 months ago - with no $4.99/minute.
Old Nov 20th, 2009, 09:06 AM

The book of coupons was given to everybody who sailed with RC before - it was left on our bed on the 1st or 2nd night with the daily schedule.

The invitation to the champagne and caviar reception for returned customers was left one the bed later - don't remember exactly when, but a couple of nights after getting the coupon book.
Old Nov 20th, 2009, 09:45 AM

On cruise ships, a couple of satellite companies provide the cell service. It's not on regular transmission cells, hence the huge surcharge. Otherwise, most ships sail at the international seas limit and would never get any cell service.

In port, the service is turned off, and my guess is this is when gail's husband used his own service to check his email without a surcharge.

Of course, if you are sailing in the Caribbean, then unless you are in port in Puerto Rico or the US Virgin Islands, you're doing international roaming and would not be able to get cell service without paying international roaming rates, which can be very expensive in the Caribbean.

Re Coupons: Sometimes you get these as bonuses for booking certain cruises, or you get them through your travel agent. They provide extraordinarily modest savings of rarely more than 10%, and they usually require a hefty purchase. I got a coupon book on a recent cruise on HAL, and I was unable to use a single coupon in the book. So it's not like you can count on these to give you substantial savings on anything.
Old Nov 26th, 2009, 03:37 PM

I usually buy a "package" . $100 for 250 minutes and they gave me bonus minutes for signing up on the first day. That's about 40 cents a minute.

One thing ... use the internet during non peak hours like early in the morning or very late at night. When there are many people using it, it is very slow and the minutes get chewed up very fast.