Search

Alaskan Cruise

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alaskan Cruise

I am thinking of doing an Alaskan cruise sometime in 2011. I've been doing some research and alot of what I'm seeing is recommending not to go out of Seattle. So if we were to go out of Vancouver or Anchorage on HAL, what ports do you highly recommend. I don't know alot about Alaska yet. But I was curious to see what ports are the most highly recommended by those who have gone. I'm also trying to decide whether to go on a one way or roundtrip cruise. I'm currently looking at a 7 day cruise. Some trips I've taken I have liked going on the off season because less people and the rates are usually less. But I was wondering what the off season was for Alaska and whether it would be worth it to save some money. Any suggestions would be great.
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 06:50 AM

My main recommendation is to extend your trip to 14 days and see the interior of Alaska. You can't experience this magnificent state just taking a cruise. Take a cruise tour. Get to Denali (especially) and Fairbanks at least.
The cruise ports are all heavily inundated during cruise season. The one sometimes not included that I would recommend is Sitka with its Russian background. Be sure your ship goes into Prince William Sound. In my opinion, whether you go to Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier is not that significant.
Alaska is fine in late May, early June, or late August and the cruises will be cheaper.
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 11:03 AM

We took Royal Caribbean, but left out of Seward and ended in Vancouver. The bus ride from Anchorage to Seward was fun, very scenic.

We took a 7 day cruise and I loved every minute of it! But, now I feel like I have to make another trip to see the interior because we weren't able to extend our trip due to work constraints. So, if you can extend your trip, I say go for it! You won't be disappointed!
Old Dec 15th, 2009, 01:15 PM

I prefer north bound and others prefer south bound. 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.

Almost everyone is doing the smae ports. Juneanu, Skagway and Ketchiken are the 3 main stops. Throw in a glacier stop at ether Tracy Arm, Hubbard Glacier or the College Fjord and you have the 3 main glacier stops.

My glacier preferences are (1) College Fjord, (2) Hubbard, and Tracy Arm (3).

There is really not that much of a difference between the varies cruise lines for Alaska. The only one that stands out a bit is the "small ship" cruise.
Old Dec 16th, 2009, 03:45 PM

I agree with Eschew with the same cruise ports. That's where I went to when I went on a cruise to Alaska. Vancouver's Cananda Place is the best port to go out/in of. I went on the last cruise for the season in Sept. 2008. It was cold so bring winter clothes if you are planning that time to go.
Old Dec 18th, 2009, 06:32 AM

Actually Eschew, misses the significant Glacier Viewing of Glacier Bay. A highpoint for many, seeing at least 4 glaciers. For clarification- "Tracy Arm" can not be described as a "glacier stop" since, on average, only about 25% of the cruise ship sailings get within the Sawyer's glacier view. Add to that, some ships do a last minute detour to Dawes Glacier, which on the "glacier scale" is way down the pole.

I also do not agree on the recommendation of cruisetours. Independent interior Alaska touring is superior for seeing much more of your priorities. ANY cruisetour- you would be wise, to fully research it, and find out the details which most people have no clue about. There is a lot to consider, and the descriptions of cruisetours is very lacking. People make many wrong assumptions. Best to go for as long as you can afford and avoid shorter cruisetours.
Old Dec 18th, 2009, 11:21 AM

College Fjord composed of 8 glaciers and most ships that cruise College Fjord will linger around Harvard Glacier but you can see all 8.

I personally loved the Glacier Bay but it is NOT available on all itenaries from all crusie lines. There is a quota system in place to limit cruise ship access to the Glacier Bay National Park. Although they have increased the quota in 2007, the total for the summer season is 245 (up from 139) ship/use, and the maximum per day is 2 ships. HAL and Princess (both owned by Carnival) has the majority of the allocation to-date. NCL also stops there and I think RCL and Celebrity do not. Disney has a proposal for their one ship starting 2011 but I have not heard if they were allocated anything yet.

If there are choicies, Glacier Bay would be high on my list but it is just not a common itenary like your basic Juneau, Ketchiken, Tracy Arm, Hubbard etc. Please note that I use the word common (and not favoorite or popular). I think if the crusie industry has their way, all the ships will stop at Glacier Bay but to protect the enviroment, limits has to be set by the National Park, and they are quite restrictive (polution and noise etc).

I would have preferred Sitka as a stop as well but it is just not a common itenary any more. In 2009, Celebrity has a ship stopping there every week. For 2010, I think it will make a handful of stops.

If you find an itenary that includes Glacier Bay, that would be my chocie too but I wouldn't exclude a trip (especailly for your first cruise to Alaska) that does not have Glacier Bay on it.

However, I would think twice about Tracy Arm as BudgetQueen is corrrect in that you are not guaranteed to get there and if you don't get there, the alternate is really not that appealing. However, if you have not seen any tidewater glacier up close, then you would be still in awe and be impressed. For Tarcy Arm, I thought it is about 50-50 but BudgetQueen thought it is much lower.

I have some Alaska pictures posted on webshot. If you want to take a look at it, here is the link. http://community.webshots.com/user/e_s_c_h_e_w

In terms of cruise tours, book your own rather than through the ships. Much cheaper and better value. Ultimately, you have to decide based on budget limitation, time and conviences.

Do some homework first. A lot of people on this forum is very helpful and is knwoledgable on Alaska. Aks your questions and you will have answers!