Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Where to stay in Negril and Grand Cayman?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2000, 09:44 PM
Andrea

Hello, <BR>I am planning a vaction for myself and my fiance. We would really appreciate advice on where to stay in Negril--not a big or all-inclusive place. We are also considering Grand Cayman. Basically we want a charming place right on the beach with snorkeling. <BR>Thanks!

Old Dec 14th, 2000, 12:40 PM
Laura

If you'd like an intimate romantic non all inclusive resort right on the beach in Negril, I can highly recommend Charela Inn. Check out the reviews of it on rants/raves.

Old Dec 14th, 2000, 05:27 PM
ohliz

We just came back from Negril a couple of weeks ago, our 5th trip to JA, and we loved Nirvana. It has 5 or 6 2-3 bedroom cottages with staff who will cook in your kitchen if you like, and there are 3 1 BR suites, somewhat fancier. On 2 acres - that's it. It's right on the beach, very private, beautiful shady gardens, beach guard to watch your stuff. Very mellow. <BR> <BR>Photos from our trip are here: <BR> <BR>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...974&a=10262087 <BR> <BR Liz

Old Dec 14th, 2000, 05:34 PM
ohliz

Oops..I forgot to say, snorkeling off the beach is not great - you want to go out to the reef by boat. <BR> <BR>If you stay on the cliffs though, you can happily snorkel right at your doorstep. There are a bunch of great cliff hotels, mainly quiet and private and no kids and most offer some cottages perched right on the cliff with privte water access. See http://www.negril.com/clfhotel.htm for a start. <BR> <BR Liz

Old Dec 15th, 2000, 11:01 AM
George

<BR>On Grand Cayman, charming place, right on the beach, away from the crowds, with good snorkeling = The Turtle Nest Inn. Their site is www.turtlenestinn.com. Friends have stayed there twice & we can hardly wait to go. A good value too, for Cayman, which is unbelievably overpriced.

Old Dec 17th, 2000, 07:42 AM
Jeanne

Stayed at Turtle Nest Inn Jan 2000-Perfect place-Owners discreet yet knowledgable and accomodating. Lovely apartment w/balcony with incredible views from both bedroom and living area. Nice beach for snorkeling, unfortunately it was a little cool/windy when we were there-see the website-it's as nice as it looks!

Old Dec 23rd, 2000, 08:31 AM
Marguerite

We just got back from Grand Cayman. I went back and forth on whether to stay at the Victoria House (condo) or Turtle Nest Inn. Both were highly recommended on the Fodor's Forum (Turle Nest was talked about much more though). I decided on Victoria House after I saw pictures of the setting and they described the hammocks (look at caymanvacations.com). We were very pleased. We only stayed 3 nights because on the 17th of Dec the rate jumped from $250 to over $400 nite (this includes taxes for 4). The location is on the quieter end of 7-mile beach. The setting was awesome. The rooms were nice but definitely not extravagant. There are kitchens which help because the food on Cayman is very expensive. The only thing we missed was a bar to get a quick drink. There isn't a pool, but the water is protected and calm. Cemetary reef is a 5 minutes walk down the beach. Actually the beach area along there had decent snorling. We moved to the Indies Suites for the high season which is just down the street and one block off the beach. Very nice, huge rooms, nice pool, free sunset cruise. *** After driving the island, we're glad we stayed where we did and not at Turtle Nest Inn. It looked nice, but is very far removed from everything else. We rented a car from Andy's and were very pleased. Let me know if you have any questions. Have fun!

Old Dec 28th, 2000, 09:41 AM
LILI

IF I WERE ON MY HONEYMOON IN NEGRIL - I'D GO WITH ONE OF THE OCEAN FRONT BUNGALLOWS AT THE ROCK HOUSE ON THE CLIFF HALF: <BR>http://www.rockhousehotel.com <BR>a good negril info site is: <BR>negril.com