Reload this Page >

LeSport v. Ladera v. Anse Chastanet

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 1999, 08:25 AM
Janet Darguzas

We're planning a honeymoon in April of 2000. Any advice on these resorts?

Old Sep 21st, 1999, 08:55 AM
lisa

If you do a search of this forum using those hotel names, you will find many threads about each of them, so I would recommend you read those. We stayed at Ladera and loved it -- it was the trip of a lifetime. Have heard mixed things about Le Sport and Anse Chastanet. We did snorkel on the beach at Anse Chastanet two days, which was fantastic. We also ate lunch at the beachside restaurant there those two days, and liked the food and service very much. Didn't look at the rooms though. Some have complained about no A/C at Anse Chastanet, which I imagine would be a problem since it is right on the beach and it can get very hot. We did not need A/C at Ladera because of the elevation -- it gets wonderfully cool breezes. Would highly recommend Ladera. Check out www.ladera-resort.com and www.ansechastanet.com if you haven't already. Good luck.

Old Sep 21st, 1999, 04:23 PM
Caroline

I would consider another island for a honeymoon. I sincerely regret that I went there, especially on my honeymoon. Some of the "lowlights" include animal slaughtering on a resort bike trip, a public disturbance where we were told in our room to stay in with the doors locked the Friday night street party was cancelled, tennis shoes stolen from our balcony, roaches as large as my middle finger crawling on the afternoon tea trays, and all for only $3500 per week. Need I go on? <BR> <BR>For a honeymoon I would consider St.John, Bermuda, Nevis, any SuperClub in Jamica or even the Ritz in St.Thomas or Cancun.

Old Sep 21st, 1999, 04:59 PM
C.Clark

I agree with the last post, I too would pick another island also. The animal abuse ia unbelieveable.

Old Sep 21st, 1999, 06:39 PM
Anna

My husband and I went to St. Lucia last March and loved it. We hope to go back at some point. We stayed at Sandal's Halcyon and were very pleased with the rooms, food, and service. We didn't see any cockroaches, only an occasional chameleon. I did not see any animal abuse that has been the topic of late. I did see goats and cows tied to trees on long ropes, but this is because not all of the locals have fields to allow them to graze on. We were told that they bring them to various spots to graze, since it is illegal for them to have them in their yard.

Old Sep 21st, 1999, 07:07 PM
C.Clark

Anna, where did you go when you were there? No disrespect intended, but I can't believe that people that actually saw St.Lucia and never saw any of the things that I saw. You are correct some of the animals had longer ropes, not many and none of them had water. We talked to alot of other people and they were as upset as we were.

Old Sep 22nd, 1999, 05:05 AM
x

I did not witness any animal abuse in St. Lucia. But I can tell you that the country most cited by animal rights organizations is Mexico. <BR> <BR>C. Clark, are you blissfully unaware of the animal abuse that goes on everyday in the U.S.? it is a huge problem everywhere, not only in the Caribbean. I am sorry you had to see it firsthand, but it is happening all over the place--even in your own town. Just because you have not seen it, does not mean it is not happening! It is very easy to complain after-the-fact, but what did you do when you were THERE to stop it? Or did you just hop on your bus and drive away and complain about the money you spent on your trip? In St. Lucia, there is a private animal welfare agency that has just started that is looking for funding. (I forgot the acronym at the moment, but maybe someone will know!) Since you were so affected by the incident, maybe you can send a huge donation their way. <BR> <BR>Caroline--you thought Jamaica and St. Thomas were safer than St. Lucia?? Not sure how many posters on this board would agree with you on that point! <BR> <BR>And Janet (back to the original question)-- all three resorts are very nice. You need to determine what activities you want. For example, Anse has diving and LeSport has a spa. Also look at what location you want to stay (north or south). South is closer to the tourist attractions; north is closer to the shopping and has more restaurant selection. Also LeSport is all-inclusive (if you want that).

Old Sep 22nd, 1999, 07:52 AM
C.Clark

No, I'm not blissfully unaware that animal abuse goes on in the States and Canada as well. But yes I do try and do something about it where ever I am. When we were in St.Lucia we fed the dogs. As a matter of fact my husband all most got into a fight with some guys for stating that what we saw was a crime and that we would be charged in Canada with animal abuse if this took place and you know what they said? "you're not in Canada". And for your information in Canada people do get charged and do get fined as well as jail time. <BR>And no we didn't travel by bus, we had a car so that's probably why we saw more than you. We also went to a vet. in Castries and told him about two dogs that we were sure that needed to be put down and offered to pay for it, but he told us that we wouldn't be able to get close enough to catch them to bring them in and he was right, but we did try.And we don't believe in swimming with the dolphins either. <BR>Never did I complain about the money that we spent either. Try reading the posts. <BR>Also we have been to St.Thomas as well as Jamacia and found both places to be safe. <BR>Now I really wonder how much validity we can put in anything that you say, when you won't even post your name or e-mail address. In my opinion that makes you a coward and I can assure that I won't address anymore post's from you unless you get the courage to sign your name. <BR>Also makes me wonder if it wasn't easier for you not to see anything, because only a coward would stand by and do nothing when they see things going on that aren't right. And if signing your name on a forum scares you then I guess I have my answer. <BR>These are only my opinions. And as I said before the island of St.Lucia is very beautful and if you can go and look past the animals starving, then you probably will enjoy it. I couldn't. Not every place is for everybody and that's a good thing.

Old Sep 22nd, 1999, 07:53 AM
C.Clark

No, I'm not blissfully unaware that animal abuse goes on in the States and Canada as well. But yes I do try and do something about it where ever I am. When we were in St.Lucia we fed the dogs. As a matter of fact my husband all most got into a fight with some guys for stating that what we saw was a crime and that we would be charged in Canada with animal abuse if this took place and you know what they said? "you're not in Canada". And for your information in Canada people do get charged and do get fined as well as jail time. <BR>And no we didn't travel by bus, we had a car so that's probably why we saw more than you. We also went to a vet. in Castries and told him about two dogs that we were sure that needed to be put down and offered to pay for it, but he told us that we wouldn't be able to get close enough to catch them to bring them in and he was right, but we did try.And we don't believe in swimming with the dolphins either. <BR>Never did I complain about the money that we spent either. Try reading the posts. <BR>Also we have been to St.Thomas as well as Jamacia and found both places to be safe. <BR>Now I really wonder how much validity we can put in anything that you say, when you won't even post your name or e-mail address. In my opinion that makes you a coward and I can assure that I won't address anymore post's from you unless you get the courage to sign your name. <BR>Also makes me wonder if it wasn't easier for you not to see anything, because only a coward would stand by and do nothing when they see things going on that aren't right. And if signing your name on a forum scares you then I guess I have my answer. <BR>These are only my opinions. And as I said before the island of St.Lucia is very beautful and if you can go and look past the animals starving, then you probably will enjoy it. I couldn't. Not every place is for everybody and that's a good thing.

Old Oct 25th, 1999, 12:16 PM
Teri

Janet, I have just recently returned from my trip to St. Lucia and Anse Chastanet. A/C is wonderful, We have never been to a more romantic spot in our lives. You dont ever have to leave the resort. There is hiking and snorkeling right there on the resort. We hiked the plantation area by ourselves and felt like we were the only two people on the island. The rooms are perfect. The rooms are private but extreamly open with the most incredible views. Every day I would wake up to little birds chirping and flowers in my view from every direction. We could watch the sun set and rise from our room and see the hummingbirds fly from flower to flower. Our shower had a tree in the middle of it...It felt like you were showing out doors (very romantic). We were high on the hillside room 14B (300 steps to be exact and loved every minute of the climb). Everything about A/C was perfect. We loved the staff the food the beach.....I have serious withdrawls and want to go back in the worst way. We have been to quite a few resorts (some very fancy) but A/C is our speed. Very laid back and peacfull. A/C is a resort that allows people to appreciate natural beauty. Janet, I feel A/C is the perfect place for a honeymoon. We did not see any of the things that some of these people claim to have seen. I do offer this advice, Ive been to Jamaica if you go...stay on the resort. And my girlfriend was robbed by someone with a knife in St. Thomas....I felt very safe in St. Lucia I will have no problem returning to this island. Good Luck and Congrats.. Teri (member of The United States Humane Society and US Anti Cruelty Society..Sponser of 3 animals at Best Friends and owner of 3 pets) <BR>

Old Oct 29th, 1999, 11:09 AM
Derek Leaberry

The torture of animals is most disturbing and I am sorry St. Lucia allows it. Animal torture pales in comparison of the 1.4 million yearly abortions in America. I am sure that St. Lucia can not compare with the USA on that account.

Old Nov 18th, 1999, 06:31 AM
Roger Pirate

Unless Caroline is a vegetarian, she has little reason to complain about animal slaughter. Where does she think lovely filet mignons, Porterhouses, boneless pork loins, roast beefs, lamb shoulders and the rest come from--the sky? The slaughterhouses of Chicago, Kansas City, Ottumwa and the rest butcher more meat in a half-hour than St. Lucia butchers in a century. Further, Caroline Clark should also condemn all those fish butcherers who go by the name of fishermen or anglers.