Search

st john's or anguilla?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2004, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
st john's or anguilla?

Hi I am trying to plan a vacation for my friend & myself for the summer. I am wondering what folks opinins are on anguilla versus st. johns for beaches and snorkling. also - has anyone had a great experience staying at a more casual, less pricey accomodation on anguilla? i can't afford cap j or malliouhana, or the like. also (sorry for all the questions!) a low key place someone might know on st. john's? thanks!
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 08:44 AM
Sunnyboy

This topic and your questions were covered extensively in some very recent posts. Use the search feature above to find the threads.

Old Mar 20th, 2004, 09:07 AM
Sunnyboy

Forgot to mention, there's a very active Anguilla board at www.caribline.com. Click on the Anguilla forum they had several discussions on the more moderate priced places.

You are looking at two very different types of islands. Anguilla is relatively flat with no lush vegetation, it has great white sand beaches but (not much natural shade), lots of fine restaurants (some of the best in the Caribbean - can be pricy)and average snorkling. St John is hilly, lush, has an abundance of smaller palm tree lined beaches, fantastic snorkling, a selection of good restaurants. You can find moderate accomodations on both islands.

Old Mar 20th, 2004, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

thanks so much, sunnyboy. i will check out the discussions on anguilla, but after diligently reading this site, i'm thinking st. johns sounds like the choice between the 2 for me. i wonder if there is a st john's forum at that site? i'll check it out. gosh, reading these posts really makes my mouth warter for the islands again. it's been way too long. thanks so much!
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

whoa!! i was just writing the last post & my husband came up behind me and read over my shoulder as he massage my back. "oh, you're ruining my surprise!" he said. he proceeded to tell me that he was planning to take me to the islands on my birthday, over memorial day weekend!! and i thought i was going by myself or with a friend at my own expense, so he could work!! how's that for a dream come true! so he said to do all the research i want, and pick wherever i want to go! i'm still thinkin st. johns, but maybe now we can stay where everyone seems to be talking about as 'the' place to stay there - caneel bay. i'm assuming it's a resort. call me smilin!!! waterflyer
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 02:36 PM

A suggestion; look into renting a villa on St. John. Although Caneel Resort is lovely, the experience of having you own villa, with lots of privacy, your own pool and sunest from your deck in the evening is very very romantic.

One suggestion for a rental agency that we used and we were very very satisfied.

www.vactionvistas.com

You will love St. John. Our personal favorite island.
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

thank you so much, floridabound! that is a great idea, and i think that is what we will do. this is how i usually travel when in san miguel, mexico. i agree, having your own villa is really the best. thank you so much for yor suggestion.
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 04:40 PM

I just returned home from my 9 day stay on St. John. Definately rent a villa. It's worth it. I always get one with a washer/dryer to dry those beach towels and damp clothes you get from being in the humidity. Plus, you can grocery store and cook you own meals to save money. This was my 4th trip to St J and it's probably the only place I'd go because I want somewhere laid back with few people. Enjoy!