Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Couple, 30s? First trip to the Caribbean: Aruba,Grand Caymans or Puerto Rico?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 01:52 PM
Jodi

My husband and I are planning a "beach" vacation for early June. Our first in 3 years. Spent our honeymoon in Bermuda, so we want to visit a new island. We are looking for a luxury hotel on the beach (romantic, great rooms and good service). We like to try the local restaurants, so no all-inclusive. The variety of islands & accommodations makes it hard to choose a particular spot. Grand Caymans and Puerto Rico (Westin Rio Mar)have been recommended.. I would appreciate feedback on these islands or other specific hotels in the Caribbean. Thanks. <BR> <BR>Jodi <BR>

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 06:26 PM
Adrienne

You should look into Horned Dorset Primavera on the west coast of Puerto Rico (which is my favorite side of the island). It has been rated as one the best hotels in the world, and friends have raved about it. The web address is www.horneddorset.com <BR> It is located on the beach in the town of Rincon, which has often been referred to as "the Hamptons of Puerto Rico". You could make day trips to Boqueron, Faro de Cabo Rojo at the southwestern most point of PR (great cliffs), La Parguera and the phosphorescent bay, Rio Camuy Caves, Arecibo Observatory, or the city of Ponce (dont miss the art museum). Definitely spend a day in Old San Juan and do not miss a day at the El Yunque rainforest and Luquillo Beach. If you have any questions or want more information, feel free to e-mail me.

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 03:38 AM
Lori

I would highly recommend the Hyatt in St. Lucia. We just returned from a trip there and it was amazing. The Hyatt in Aruba was also very nice. We have been to Puerto Rico and the Caymans. I think St. Lucia was the best and most beautiful island.

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 01:22 PM
Jodi

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely check out the Horned Dorset and the other places you recommended. Do you know how far the trip is from the San Juan airport to that side of PR? <BR>

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 07:07 PM
Adrienne

Jodi, <BR> It is about a two hour drive to Rincon, depending on traffic.

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 06:56 PM
Tanya

It depends what you are looking for...I found Grand Cayman to be very much like Florida - VERY americanized - Pizza Hut and Burger King on every corner. Not really a lot of culture or 'island' feel. <BR> <BR>Have you checked out Anguilla? Haven't been there, but everyone I know loves it!

Old Apr 22nd, 2001, 06:19 AM
julie

<BR>Jodi, if beach & water are all that's important, Cayman will do the trick. If you're looking for those plus island culture, maybe Barbados? Everyone complains about restaurant prices, but we thought they were "comparable to type" to restaurants in most U.S. metro areas. I think the shock comes when you multiply it by 3 meals a day. The food is excellent. <BR> <BR>If I were staying on the west again, I'd stay at Cobbler's Cove, quiet laidback elegance. For the south, maybe look at Turtle Beach (?) --- Turtle "something", drawing a blank. Both are beachfront. The sister properties to Turtle ? all look excellent & there's a water taxi to shuttle you between them to use facilities. Nice! I would not stay on the east. Beaches are a great day trip but the few accomodations looked ratty. <BR> <BR>www.barbados.org has a great search engine for accomodations. <BR>Generally speaking, the beaches on Barbados are easier to access than Bermuda. Sand is not as pink, but is white or pinkish on the south & a pretty pale toasty color on the west. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old May 1st, 2001, 04:27 AM
paul

Try: <BR>Cap Juluca - Anguilla <BR>Grace Bay Club - Turks and Caicos <BR>Isle de France - St. Barts <BR> <BR>

Old May 3rd, 2001, 06:48 AM
SNORKELERS

Jodi- <BR> <BR>My Wife & I are mid 30's married 5 years- <BR>Went to Grand Cayman on our Honeymoon and stayed at the Hyatt. <BR>We have done a fair bit of travelling in the carribean (3 cruises,a few club meds, and a few higher end resort trips). <BR>We were underwhelmed by our stay in Grand Cayman for a few reasons. <BR>The Hyatt staff was indifferent at best (a request for an aspirin at the front desk was met with "there is a gas station a mile down the road- you can walk it in 20 minutes" <BR>Room service dishes were left in the hallway from 8am till after dinner- <BR> <BR>Everything on the island is also appallingly expensive, which would be fine if you felt like they were happy to have you. We just got the feeling everywhere we went that we were nothing but a nuisance to both the locals and the staff. <BR>We stopped in Aruba on a cruise for a day and got the exact opposite feeling.The locals were all warm and fuzzy. <BR>We are going to Aruba next week-staying at the Allegro.Will report back on the trip-

Old May 3rd, 2001, 01:01 PM
David

My wife and I have been to Grand Cayman (very nice, especially the Westin Casuarina), and PR (didn't like it). Our two favorite islands by far are Aruba and Anguilla. The Hyatt on Aruba had aged a little on our last trip but is still very nice. The Royal Sonesta on Anguilla was fantastic and we loved the whole island. Many great restaurants and beach bars. We got a suite at the Royal Sonesta which was worth the extra money. We also go during off season (usually May) so the rates are pretty good considering what you get. Most important to my wife and I are that both islands are very reliable for sun and very little rain. Best restaurants: <BR>Aruba-Boonoonoonoo's, Ruinas del Mar (at the Hyatt), The Flame, Le Petit Cafe, Tuscany's <BR>Anguilla: Blanchard's, Cove Castles, Mango's. I don't think you can go wrong with either island. Have fun

Old May 4th, 2001, 09:29 PM
Lori

My opinion is Grand Cayman....more so if you are looking of great beaches and crystal clear caribbean water... the best I've seen yet. <BR> <BR>Advantages: <BR> <BR>* Great snorkelling from 7 mile beach in various areas as well as different areas round the island (this is the fun part - rent a car and drive around the island for different snorelling spots such as Rum Point and Smith Cove. <BR> <BR>* Cayman has many different restaurant (over 100) offering any type of food you want...yes there's a Burger King and KFC, etc. but if that's where you choose to go then fine.... but if you want top experence fabulouse caribbean cuisine and internatinal then let me know, I'll recommend a few places. <BR> <BR>Grand Cayman is paradise..... <BR> <BR>Lori