Reload this Page >

Scuba in Aruba or Dominica?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2001, 06:28 PM
Kristin

We're cruising next month and have the opportunity to dive in Aruba and Dominica. My husband and I decided to dive in just one place. I'm trying to balance where the diving is better with which island has nicer things to do on the island.<BR><BR>Thanks for your thoughts.

Old Dec 22nd, 2001, 04:58 AM
HarryR

While we don't dive, I can tell you after being to both that Aruba has a lot more to offer. Dominica is somewhat of an ecological island. Beautiful mountains,waterfalls and jungle but little else. Diving on Aruba is very popular and you will find several dive services.

Old Dec 27th, 2001, 11:44 AM
Katfish

Do your diving in Dominica, and your shopping in Aruba.

Old Dec 31st, 2001, 07:47 AM
soots

never been to aruba<BR>went diving in dominica used dive dominica -the company that started diving there<BR>very nice outfit<BR>there is a lot of good healthy coral and plantlife in dominican waters<BR>saw a manta ray dolphins whales<BR>octopus a ray-not a sand ray electric i think <BR>eels<BR><BR>just a really nice place<BR>

Old Dec 31st, 2001, 08:55 AM
freewoman

Depends on your preference in diving. Reef, wreck, wall? Aruba has what is touted as the best wreck dive in the Caribbean, the Antilla.

Old Jan 1st, 2002, 05:09 AM
Paul

I'm not a diver although I've been to both islands. I believe that Aruba has one or two good wreck dives. On the other hand I've seen some references to Dominica as one of the best dive sites in the Carib.<BR>These are very different islands. Dominica is poor, with not much in the way of dining or shopping, no nightlife worth remembering, and only a few (very unspectacular) beaches, but it is in my opinion THE most beautiful island in the Carib. If you like nature, hiking, photography etc. this is your place - it is something to see. Aruba has far better beaches, and far greater dining choices and nightlife. And...far more people & traffic - it is an American tourism outpost. It is also arid and, with the notable exception of the beautiful beaches, doesn't even come close to Dominica in natural beauty.

Old Jan 1st, 2002, 10:03 AM
Gail

Didn't dive, but did snorkle off the coast of Aruba (DePalm island). Never saw such a variety of sea life in one place. It was GREAT.<BR>We took an island tour on Dominica and were very glad we did. It is a beautiful little island.