Reload this Page >

honeymoon in the caribbean

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 1999, 01:09 PM
melanie

I am trying to plan a week long honeymoon in the Caribbean in late July. I hope to find a resort which is romantic and not overcrowded, with good accommadations and amenities, but hope to stay within 4000 to 4500 dollars total. I would appreciate any suggestions from others who have taken such a trip. please reply on this forum.

Old Feb 26th, 1999, 04:44 PM
Leslie

We would suggest Sandals Halcyon in St. Lucia. "Beach style resort" with terrific food and terrific staff. We spent $4000 total Canadian to go here in Sept and it was worth every penny. Booked deluxe (basic) room and got a free upgrade upon arrival to the next catagory. Staff at this smaller Sandals resort was fantastic. A bonus is that there are 2 Sandals on the island and you have free access to both; equalling: 8 restaurants, 2 beaches, many pools, lots of 'changes of scenery' which we liked alot. I would say that Sandals Halycon may be smaller of the 2, but superior in service, and beach, and overall atmosphere for a honeymoon (less of a party scene, but still LOTS to do). We went snorkeling almost every day (1st time) and the dive boat staff and equipment was first rate. I have a trip report if you are more interested. <BR>Just email me: [email protected] <BR> <BR>Leslie.

Old Mar 1st, 1999, 01:16 PM
lisa

I highly recommend the Ladera Resort in St. Lucia (check it out at www.ladera-resort.com). My boyfriend and I spent a week there in November and it was wonderful -- small (around 20 or so rooms), very romantic and the best views I've ever seen. It is well within your price range and there are lots of fun things to do nearby -- snorkeling, hiking in the rainforest, waterfalls, etc. It has a fabulous restaurant. The beaches nearby are great. One advantage of choosing St. Lucia over other Caribbean islands is that it is so far south it is much less of a hurricane risk than a lot of the other islands farther north. Good luck.

Old Mar 2nd, 1999, 03:57 AM
John

I recommend St Barts. If romance, quiet, beauty, excellent beaches and restaurants are what you want, you will find it. We go to Hotel Le Toiny. Private villas with your own plunge pool. Breakfast served by the pool. Get a copy of Ian MeKeown's book, Romantic Hideaways of the Caribbean for a write up and for other great places. The time you want to go is off season and Le Toiny (and all the Hotels) have vacation and honeymoon packages that include one meal, a rental car (a must on St Barts), and are well within your price range. <BR>We prefer St Barts to the all-inclusives because there are so many great restaurants. <BR>However if a night life (other than dinner and each other) is what you arelooking for go elsewhere. <BR>

Old Mar 2nd, 1999, 10:41 AM
Peggy

My favorite secluded romantic resort in the Caribbean is Petit St. Vincent in the Grenadines. Received 100% for service in Conde Nast Top Resorts of the World survey.July is off-season so I think the price range might work.It is uncrowded being a private island with only 22 cottages, outstanding food & lots of watersports.It is the one resort destination I would return to. Check into it!

Old Mar 2nd, 1999, 11:03 AM
Neil Fossum

I would recommend either Caneel Bay on St John or the Bitter End Yacht Club on Virgin Gorda. Both are very romantic and uncrowded and truely first class resorts. In July, hurricane season is not a factor. The weather is actually much better in July than in the spring - no rain! No matter where you go, definitely bring your sunscreen! <BR> I would shy away from any Sandals property, WAY overpriced for what you get. We just spent a week at Sandal's St Lucia and were very disappointed. E-mail me if you want more info. Good luck and have fun!!

Old Mar 4th, 1999, 02:03 PM
Jade

Caneel Bay is by far the loveliest place I've been in the Caribbean. It is also the most expensive. If you can afford it you should go.I was there a week and had NO complaints. (this from a woman whose husband thinks she is pickier than the fictional TV character Frasier Crane!) <BR>St Bart's, too, is lovely though I cannot speak of it with great authority as I spent only a day there. The beaches are prettier than a postcard, and I felt like Grace Kelly in It Takes A Thief as I drove its roads. <BR>The Sandals resorts are really not in the same category. To compare them to Caneel is like comparing a Mercedes to a Taurus. There's nothing wrong with the Taurus, it's just not a Mercedes.

Old Mar 4th, 1999, 02:08 PM
Jade

Oops. My (even pickier) husband has pointed out to me that the movie is To Catch A Thief. He said to tell you Caneel's a bit on the quiet side.

Old Mar 4th, 1999, 04:54 PM
Karen

Tell him that on any of Caneel's seven beaches, you can make your own excitment! After all, you are on your honeymoon! Definately check out Caneel ... even the Island Hopper (split with Little Dix if it fits your budget). You can hang out in Cruz Bay or take a 15 minute ferry ($3 pp)to Red Hook on St. Thomas for even more!

Old Mar 5th, 1999, 05:59 AM
Jade

We never got to Little Dix but I've heard it is great. When we were at Caneel (1986) the two plus a third resort were being run by the same group. <BR>We went in the month of Sept which is not in season. There were times we had a beach to ourselves. <BR>I agree about making your own fun because I hate what I call the "organized fun" we've found at other places. Other people, though, seem to enjoy that.