Search

Please help me decide on St John's or the BVI for Feb 2009

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help me decide on St John's or the BVI for Feb 2009

Hi all,

I am just in the beginning phase of planning and trying to decide which island to choose. I've already spend many hours researching and have definitely narrowed it down to the Virgin Islands.

We haven't been to the Caribbean since 2004 and have stayed on Aruba but mostly done cruises to the islands. Last couple of years we've vacationed in Mexico, Australia, Costa Rica and Italy with Florida and California trips numerous times.

This trip will consist of just my husband and myself although friends may ask to join us which would be great! We are hoping to use FF miles and Tortola and STT are about equal.

I have lots of questions but I'll begin by asking just a few. First, which island is the most accessible to island hop? Jost and the Baths are a must! Also, we'd love beachfront, small one bedroom condo or cottage for around $400 per night. Is that impossible for Feb? Studio would be fine also. Ocean view with balcony would be OK too. I love beauty, especially lush tropical beaches, lots of palm trees and turquoise waters to wade or snorkel in. (Although since we've already done the Great Barrier Reef, snorkeling isn't as important). We like to rent vehicles to tour the islands so feeling safe while driving independently is a must. Also, like little beach bars for cocktails and watching the sunset. We're usually ready to call it a night by 10. (Sad but true!) Some boutiques for shopping would be nice too, but we're not into upscale shopping. Like to dine out, but we're not big foodies! Any ideas??

Thanks so much for any help in advance! Happy New Year!!!
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 12:06 PM

Tortola is a safe, fun island that is easy to island hop to other islands and has casual beach bars. We stayed at a Long Bay Beach Resort but I know there are reasonable villas to rent on the island and some cottage/apartment like accomodations along Cane Garden Bay. There is a BVI travel board that we used and the folks on that are experts. I will try to find that for you.
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 12:26 PM

I agree, Tortola is the most convenient base for island hopping. You might even want to check out Anegada. Tortola also meets your criteria for many accomodations on a beach. I think the forum lovethecape is referring to is the BVI forum of Travel Talk On Line.
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 12:27 PM

For some resaon I can't cut and post the sites. However, this should help:

www.purplepineapple.com

and www.traveltalkonline.com/forums

Hope this helps. I would vote for Tortola.

Old Dec 29th, 2007, 12:33 PM

http://208.122.2.233/listings/result...p;x=67&y=6

Funny, I went looking for the same link while seethecape was posting. I thought The Big Apple villa looked really nice.
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 12:50 PM

Jayneann - I thought you were deciding between St. Thomas and Tortola. Both St. John and Tortola are great islands. However, for your price range, you might find more on Tortola. To me, St John has a more upscale feel to it. Tortola seemed even more laid back, more of an adventure, less Americanized (I know - it's not the USVI). Can't go wrong with either choice.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Lovethecape and brenandg, thank you so much for the great information!!! Still not sure which island we'll stay on, but I think I'm leaning towards Tortola.

However, how difficult would it be to do both St. John's and Tortola, maybe 4 nights at each place? How would that work with customs?? I guess I would have to end up back in the same airport though, using FF miles. Hmmmm, maybe too complicated!

Thanks again for your help, especially with the link to the other forum board!
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 08:33 AM

http://www.vinow.com/general_usvi/in...o%20West%20End

Here is the link to the ferry schedules. Combining those two islands should be easy as the ferrys run frequently. It gets a little trickier if you are trying to get from Jost or Virgin Gorda for the return home. Customs on both islands are quick and painless.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks brenandg! I have some figuring to do!!!! Do you know anything about Sugar Mill? I'm starting to think I might want a pool. Thanks again!
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 12:58 PM

I stayed at the Sugar Mill for my first trip to the BVI. It was quaint and charming and in a great location. We traveled off season and felt like we practically had the property to ourselves. We booked with one of their website packages that included breakfast daily, dinner one night, and a rental car for our stay. Couldn't have been more satisfied.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 01:20 PM
LilRicky

I'll be staying at the Sugar Mill in February, and will be happy to let you know how it is!

Old Dec 30th, 2007, 02:33 PM

We ate at the Sugar Mill and the food was very good. It looks charming and we almost stayed there. I just liked the beach at Long Bay better for long strolls but its a 3 minute drive to Long Bay from the Sugar Mill. There are also several good, local and inexpensive restaurants in the area, Sebastians (which is also an ocean front hotel/inn), Coco Plums, and Palm's Delight. Banakeet was a drive (a little tough at night) but the food was very good and it has a great view. If you choose Tortola, drive to Smugglers Cove, one of the islands' best beaches and its only a short drive from the Sugar Mill. It supposedly has good snorkeling but it was to rough the day we were there (winer swells). They have several vendors there who serve a simple but good lunch and serve smoothies and other simple drinks. Also try the Pain Killers at Pusser's at Sopers Hole. Enjoy!
Old Dec 31st, 2007, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

ejcrowe,
Thank you so much for your response! Which room did you stay in at Sugar Mill? I read you also stayed in Virgin Gorda on another trip which looks absolutely perfect!!!! I'm just concerned I would get a little antsy at night. I've been reading that the restaurants all close very early. Plus getting there seems like work and since we'll be traveling from Boston in winter, flight delays are always a possibility. What did you do at night?

LilRicky,
Yes, please post a trip review when you get back!!! Which room did you book? Thanks for replying!

lovethecape,
I am considering Long Bay because of the beach and beach front rooms, but the reviews on TA are very mixed! Which room did you stay in? Thanks for all the tips!!

Please keep the suggestions coming!!

Old Dec 31st, 2007, 12:53 PM

Jayneann,
I've visited Tortola,Anegada, Jost, and St.John all in the past two years. Visiting both islands would be my suggestion. Tortola was nice and yes Smuggler's was a great beach but I didn't necessarily care for the "local attitude" when eating out or even shopping for that matter. St. John has some very nice restaurants in the Cruz Bay area and some very nice shopping options as well. Most of the restaurants and bars in St. John have young college students (or recent graduates) who are hustling for tips and tend to make you feel wanted and appreciated. Anegada was very nice for the feel of seclusion but the restaurant scene there has some nice meals but very boring. Most of the restaurants appear to have the same menu items, not much variety. I would plan to fly into either STT or EIS and fly out of the other island. Be certain to visit the BVI's other islands while in British territory.(it's more difficult from St. John not too hard just more difficult) Jost is a great spot for the day trip or overnight stay.(again secluded) Anegada is secluded as mention above I would suggest at least staying overnight depending upon the ferry schedule. The beaches on Anegada were very nice with miles of white sand with very few people. Hope this helps! Enjoy
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

tforty,
Thanks for the feedback! I'm disappointed to learn there's a "local attitude" in Tortola! I knew that about a couple of other islands, but not the BVIs. Did you feel safe? Well, now that I'm aware, it'll be fine.......

I would like to do two islands, but not sure I can convince hubby, he wants pure relaxation. I'm checking into it though! Where did you stay?
Thanks again!!
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 09:15 AM

Jaynean,

We felt safe on all of the islands visited. Just use common sense and stay in the lighted more traveled areas like any other place in this world.
Yes I was a little lame on the accomadations feedback. We've rented houses with other couples a couple of times on St. John and Tortola. When possible that is always my choice, you can cook meals, relax by the pool, hang out without the resort crowds. The last visit to St. John we stayed at a small studio or apartment called the coconut coast. $200/night not much of a view but clean and quiet. On Anegada we stayed at Neptune's Treasure. Small inexpensive rooms but we went to the beach instead of hanging out in the room. I would use the other services mentioned for villas such as purple pineapple etc. When we spent a couple of nights in Tortola we also stayed at the sugar mill you can do much better without much effort.
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 10:51 AM
LilRicky

We booked the Plantation House Suite.

Old Jan 1st, 2008, 08:46 PM

Jayneann,
We stayed in an Oceanview Deluxe room. It was closer than the hillside rooms and right near the pool - a convenient location. It had a small kitchenette which was nice but we only stayed 5 days and chose not to use it much. The pluses were the beach, the view and hearing the waves from our room. However, as you have read, the rooms are dated. Unless they have updated since last January, their comforters/bedspreads look about 20 years old. We knew this before we booked and we really just used the room to sleep in (after we removed the comforter.) We only ate breakfast once and had lunch at the pool. Everything was fine. We chose to eat off the resort and try all the local places nearby. The beach is beautiful and we walked it everyday. However, it was rough when we were visiting (as were other beaches since they were exeriencing winter swells) so we didn't swim there, especially since others wrote about rocks in the water. Most of the employees were pleasant and the resort has an older Caribbean feel to it. We enjoyed out trip and our stay at Long Beach and would consider the resort probably a 3.5 star resort.

I personally didn't find the people on Tortola any less friendly than those on St. John. No matter where we travel, its always a mix of good and not so good experiences.

Both islands are safe but I'm always cautious in an unknown area. Bad things can happen anywhere.

It's difficult to say whether to split the islands (St. John and Tortola). As I said, they are both great. However, if you take the ferry to Jost one day and Virgin Gorda another, you may be spending more time on the water than on an island.

If you decide on St. John for a few days, some less expensive options are:

www.estatelindholm.com

www.palmterracevillas.com

I haven't stayed at either but have read about them. Gallows Point condos are also very popular and right in Cruz Bay. Car rental will also cost at about $70 a day on St. John. You need to drive to most beaches unless you stay at Caneel Bay. The Westin's beach is OK but doesn't compare to others on the island. For a few days, you can get by with taxis but they generelly go to Trunk Bay and Cinnamon Bay.

Just keep researching. There are many St. John experts out there who can help you. We're hoping to return in 2009 and plan to stay at a villa. This year we are trying St. Croix.

Planning is half the fun!

Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

tforty,
Thanks for all the info! Did you like Sugar Mill?

LilRicky,
Thanks for getting back to me. Have a great time and remember to do a trip report!

Lovethecape,
Great information, especially the St. John links! I have been reading about the BVI's for days now and the more I read, the more I'm interested in staying on Virgin Gorda with maybe a day trip to Tortola instead! At first I thought it would be too laid back, but now I'm thinking VG just might be perfect!! I love researching!!!!

Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 06:54 PM

Jaynean,

We didn't care for the sugarmill. The room was marginal at best. One night maybe it's okay any more time I'd keep looking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -