Search

Ellingtons - St John

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 03:24 PM
Marsha

Ellingtons - St John

Any advice regarding Ellington's restaurant on St John? Considering them for a wedding/reception next year. Just wanted to know if anyone had information. <BR>Thanks

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 03:55 PM
Karen

Interestingly Ellington's was always one of my favorites with great views. However, just recently had two or three people post on the aol board that they ate there and not only was the service bad but the food was awful! Things do change in the VI, especially in restaurants, very quickly so it is very hard to predict what will be in a year! One of the newer places that I am sure will be around a long time, is Cafe Wahoo! Also waterfront in Cruz Bay at Wharfside and one of my favorites. Since you are aol, you might want to check the St. Thomas St. John message board which is a very active group including some full time and part time residents who keep everyone up to date!

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 08:12 PM
Julie

I just read a post the other day on another board about this. I believe it was the caribbean-on-line forum (search the archives). The poster had their wedding reception at Ellingtons--said everything about it was great *except* the food. Hope this is helpful.

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 10:17 AM
Erika

I may be the bride the poster above is referring to. We stayed at Gallows and had dinner after our weddin at Ellingtons. They had the tables wonderfully set up overlooking St. Thomas on the upper level, the server could not have been nicer and Caroline (I believe that she was the manager) could not have been nicer and more accomodating. But the food was simply off. My mahi mahi had no flavor, other were not impressed with their meals either. It was really disappointing since it is such a spectacular location and they were so nice - but the food was just not very good.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 04:25 PM
Marsha

Thanks for your advice. I have read great things about Asolare and Pardiso...any comments?

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 07:28 PM
Karen

Paradiso is in Moongoose Jct. on the second floor with a narrow balcony with tables and chairs overlooking the street. Inside is nice but nothing spectacular. Paradiso is owned by the same owner as Asolare and Chateau Bordeaux. I do not care for the setting nor for the food. Asolare has a glorious view especially at sunset! It is into the Pacific Rim menu and "tower" food! It is small tho and not sure how they would accomodate. Another option would be a favorite of mine, Cafe Wahoo. Just reopening in December at the old Pusser's location in Wharfside (and in Piccalo Marina in Red Hook, St. Thomas) the menu is very creative and it is a great setting overlooking the harbour. I do think that they would do a good job! Another spot for lovely views is Chateau Bordeaux. I do enjoy their menu and food but it tends to be more "traditional." The former chef of Asolare is now at the Westin's fine dining room (can never remember the new name) and it is a pretty setting as well. And I do love Caneel's Turtle Bay Estate House.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 07:29 PM
Karen

opppps. the Equator at Caneel has wonderful views!