Search

Cuban shark attack

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 01:53 PM
sam

Cuban shark attack

Hi, <BR> <BR>My friend and I are planning a getaway in the next few weeks to Cuba. Can anyone tell me which beach the latest shark attack occurred? I know that it is not something that we have to worry about since it is rare, but just out of curiosity, we would like to know more details. <BR> <BR>Thanks

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 06:16 PM
Robert

Sam; You probably should get all the details of the attack. Many sharks, including Tiger Sharks, roam a huge range, and the shark is probably long gone. Also, sharks don't "hang out" waiting for a human to jump in the ocean; they are not predatorial. Many docile sharks, like the Caribbean Reef Shark, will attack inexperienced spear fishermen, who don't know what their doing. The last few shark attacks have been against spear fishermen. Instead of spearing a fish, and immediately ascending to the boat directly above them, they spear fish hundreds of feet away, and swim with the bloody, vibrating, speared fish in under their arms! The Caribbean Reef sharks simply do what nature has instilled in them, and go after the wounded fish, and accidentally bite the holder. Trying to find a particular beach where a transient shark attacked some one will not solve the problem. It's probably miles away. I dove 11 miles off of Nassau into the Lost Blue Hole, and had over 45 reef sharks pass me when descending into the 100 foot wide blue hole. They were somewhat curious, but never made a move toward me in 75 feet of water. The only thing I can say is: don't go spear fishing. Robert

Old Feb 3rd, 2001, 02:18 PM
eli

Florida gets more attacks than any other place inthe world. HArdly any are lethal, but they make the surf less busy.

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 09:48 AM
Bev & George

The attack took place at Playa Pesquero. Our Cuban friends report that is was not a shark but some sort of sea species. We have been to Cuba 19 times and never experienced any problems. The beach was just closed for the day and opened the next. We have swam and snorkelled numberous times without incident everywhere in Cuba. The beach at Playa Pesquero is near Guardalavaca and is very, very shallow. If you want any info regarding hotels etc just email us! Happy to assist!

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 12:06 PM
xxx

URL for news article from Toronto paper (woman attacked was from Toronto area) <BR> <BR>http://www.torontostar.com/apps/AppL...path=News/News