Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Montego Bay or Negril ( visiting mainly to party and have fun )

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Ozz
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we are a couple of guys in our early to mid 20s who are looking for a good time in jamaica, we are not really sure which would be a better choice between Montego Bay and Negril since we are mainly considering factors such as good nightlife, partying, clubbing etc and meeting people our age ( especially women ) also any recommendations on which fully inclusive resort to stay at ? price is not really an issue we are just looking to have a great time out there. Any suggestions would be appreciated, Thanksss
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 10:36 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Negril!!!! (absolutely no contest) Sorry I don't know about all-inclusives because I stay at the smaller places on the cliffs in Negril, but trust me on the recommendation of it over MoBay.
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 12:57 PM

Negril best by far AIs couples action mainly

some of the hedonism properties are ok sort of touristy

RockhouseInn.com my fav.

Good enough for Marley Jagger and Dylan

Good enough for me
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 12:59 PM

www.hedonismresorts.com
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 01:01 PM

www.rockhousehotel.com

one of the best value upscale props in the Carib

per cntraveler.com
Old Jul 5th, 2011, 01:20 PM

Sorry but Iwould not send 20-somethings looking to party to stay in the Cliffs in Negril (Rockhouse). I'd stay somewhere on the 7-mile beach.
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 06:19 AM

Hey Ozz,
http://negrilonestop.com/
That site has good info and good ideas of hotels you could stay at. I personally loved staying on the cliffs (short cheap cab ride to the beach). But definitely stay in Negril for partying and meeting people. Careful on the beach at night. You'll have to spend a night or two out at Rick's Cafe, be there for dinner and sunset and party! Tons of fun, tons of beautiful people!
Enjoy!
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 10:14 AM

While I love Rockhouse, I would not recommend it for a bunch of guys in their 20s. I think it's a bit too sedate. Much more partying, action, and tons more people down on the beach. Plus you don't have to deal with cabs back and forth. Agree w/ the other poster about being careful on the beach at night, although if there's a bunch of you not much of a problem, and there are typically lots of people out for dining and music until early morning. That being said, I would NOT walk by yourself on the beach in the dark. I could tell you stories, (not that anything so terrible happened, more annoying) but why ruin your fun?!

Also agree with the recommendation for Negrilonestop.com. It will give you a very good overview of what's available and pricing for places on the beach. We've used them in the past and never had a problem, although so many trips later, I book it myself.

Have a great time!
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 11:21 AM
KVR

For your age range and the type of vacation you are looking for I would suggest Montego Bay. You'll find more partying and action than in Negril, which is considered more laid back.

Look at the Holiday Inn, Riu Montego Bay, and the Sunset Beach resort.

Here's a list of clubs, entertainment and music options in Montego Bay that might interest your group:

http://www.montego-bay-jamaica.com/entertainment.htm
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 11:32 AM

KVR- I'm thinking you haven't been to some of the "beach parties" at night in Negril? Or places like Rub-a-Dub? I most defintely would not call them "laid back"!!!
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 02:10 PM

Totally agree with Suze! And so do my two 20-year-old kids. Hate to say it, but parts of MoBay are sketchy,(unless you're not planning on leaving the resort which would be a shame) and for me it's nowhere near as interesting or beautiful as Negril.
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 02:56 PM

oops Scrub a Dub is the name (it's a car wash and strip club)
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 04:17 PM
KVR

Suze, no guess not. We don't regularly frequent strip clubs on vacation, but to each their own. Hope you have fun there. When we went to Negril I guess we hung out at the "old couples" places.
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 04:31 PM

It's not only a strip club it's one of the better known nightclubs in Negril. The Jungle is another club that is very popular place and would fit what these folks seek. Also all the different "beach parties" which you'll see flyers for or hear announcement about on the beach. Trust me there is some very WILD nightlife in Negril. And a far better all-around experience imo than being 'stuck' on an AI resort in MoBay.
Old Jul 7th, 2011, 07:23 PM
KVR

I'll remember that when we go to Ocho Rios in December. Thanks.