which caribbean destination..

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I'm interested in planning a trip either in December or January - maybe over New Year's.

I'm thinking about PR, but want to consider other options as well. On a budget, which island would be good that I could find accommodations for about $100 a night or less (less is better)? Would like to explore some beaches, some nature if possible, and local nightlife.

Please exclude Jamaica from the list. I've considered Vieques or Culebra but it seems like it would be too difficult getting around without a car - I won't be driving. So I think that leaves me with Dominican Republic - but which town would be close to the beach and I can get to from the airport? I'm interested in the Samana region of DR. Any other suggestions appreciated. Thanks, Greg
Old May 29th, 2008, 07:08 PM

Samana is beautiful, but I don't think you can get around there without a car. But it might meet your price requirements.

There are relatively few options for you if you insist you don't want to drive, especially around the holidays. If you wait and go after New Year's but before Martin Luther King, Jr. Day you might find some deals. Maybe you should look at San Juan. That's a really tight budget, though, even for the DR if you are including food.
Old May 29th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the response. The $100 a night was for accommodation. Greg
Old May 30th, 2008, 05:10 AM

Most places that cost $100 a night or less are not on the beach. So the crucial issue is whether or not you're willing to get a car.

There are some places in Barbados in The Gap that are within walking distance of both the beach and bars/restaurants, and Barbados has a very good and cheap public bus system, so look there. I'm not sure if you can meet that price though.

Mexico is typically cheaper than the rest of the Caribbean, so you could look at places in Isla Mujeres. There are some cheap guest houses there.

Some of the places on the Cayes in Belize might also meet your price requirement. There is some nightlife in San Pedro.
Old May 30th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

I looked up some info about Barbados. There are hostels in both St. Lawrence Gap as well as Worthing. Do you know anything about these 2 areas? Apparently, the one in Worthing is only meters from the beach: "beach can be seen from the front door" according to one guest who stayed there.

Can you tell me anything about what to do in either the Gap or Worthing? Are there any nature areas on the island or lighthouses? I will be doing more research - would appreciate any recommends about things to do from people who've been there too. Thanks, Greg