get-away beach/spa with BFF/hotel recomendations really needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2011, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This DC workaholic desperately needs to get away to someplace warm and relaxing. Going with one of my best friends who's in similar straits. We want a nice beachfront resort, not too far from DC (meaning a quick transfer in Miami is all we're willing to put up with) and definitely want a nice spa. Budget mid-priced to somewhat upscale.

I've been to Barbados, Anguilla and Aruba and they're all either too far or too expensive or both. Also Punta Cana, an adults-only all-inclusive that seemed better for couples, was there with my ex-husband a few years ago.

Where can two nice middle-aged but not boring ladies go to relax? And with all due respect to families, not a place overrun with small children, been there and done that!
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 09:38 AM

united, continental or air tran to cancun - all nonstop 3hr45min
amer to st. thomas in 6hrs with 35 mins at jfk. ret 50min stop in miami
delta through atlanta to grand cayman 6hrs
puerto rico nstp in 3hrs45mins

once you choose a destination we can help you with lodging but need to know specifically how much you can spend nightly or weekly. assume you'll share the room?

unless you travel during school vacatioin kids should not be an issue wnywhere.

there are tons of resorts on the coast south of cancun on great beaches. this area offers tons of activities (from ziplines to touring ruins) & is known to be budget friendly. if you go, i'd look for lodging near playa del carmen which has duty free shopping in a fun no car zone.
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. Playa del Carmen/Cancun was my first choice and friend flatly refuses (I know, that's not where the drug murders are but she's a nervous type.)

I think we've settled on USVI or Bahamas, and would love hotel recommendations, 3-4 star.
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 04:31 PM

When are you planning on going?
Turks and Caicos has gorgeous beaches and excellent spas.
The Regent Palms Spa is amazing, as is the one at Parrot Cay.
i just recently had a spa treatment at Point Grace and it was terrific.
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

February 3-8 or thereabouts. Renaissance Carombola on St. Croix looks nice, peaceful.....

Parrot Cay too pricey for me right now, did see it reviewed very well.
Old Jan 13th, 2011, 06:25 AM

carambola would be nice, i think you're looking at a 7 hr flight.
i would not advise the bahamas in feb. air temp will be mid70's (night 65-70) <could be cooler. and water low 70's - so not really hanging out on the beach or going for a swim weather.
even provo, t&c might be too cool.
on st. john your choice is pretty much the westin, gallows point or caneel bay (imho one of the most peaceful & wonderful resorts in the caribbean) st. john is a very laid back island with loads of stunning beaches to explore, compared with st. thomas which is a very busy island. on st. thomas there are several nice resorts - wyndham sugar bay which is all inclusive. the marriott which is near the big town (charlotte amalie), the ritz which is just gorgeous or the only place i'd stay on island - secret harbour beach resort, which is an oasis of quiet on an excellent beach with good snorkeling. all rooms are huge condo style with big decks/patios. shbr has great restaurant on site - blue moon cafe. it's also close to the ferry to st. john so you could do a day excusion.
unless you stay at caneel and plan to mainly use their 7 beaches you're probably going to need to rent a car.

try to keep your bff from doing any more research on crime - i'm afraid she'll find that playa del carmen is safer than many island including the usvi or bahamas. grand cayman is known to be one of the safest islands as is bvi. which makes me think - you can fly to beef island, tortola in 5hrs on american. on tortola you might like http://www.longbay.com/
Old Jan 13th, 2011, 11:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Playa del Carmen area is safer than DC so your friend should not worry. I would talk some sense into her and then look into Zoëtry Paraiso de la Bonita in the Riviera Maya. VERY relaxing, good spa, fantastic service...you will bed pampered.