Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Which island has been a disappointment ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 12:34 PM
J

Which island has been a disappointment for you ? In terms of scenery, beaches, sightseens, things to do, etc. <BR>We're thinking of going to some of those "less traveled" places like Curacao, but there is v. little info on those places on this board and we're kind of not so sure. <BR>People seem to go mostly to the Virgin Islands, the Caymans, ST. Bart, Jamaica and that's about it.....Any input ?

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 12:39 PM
Bud

Curacao is a bit blah. Some shopping and sightseeing, but not much to do there. Aruba is more popular of the ABC islands. Anguilla is very nice and off the beaten trail

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 12:40 PM
anon

Anguilla, nothing to do really..it may be nice if all you want is isolation, butit was not for ME. It was also pretty dry and flat, which I knew going in, but I was still a bit disappointed..oh yeah, it's pretty expensive too.

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 12:51 PM
x

St. Lucia

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 03:51 PM
A.C.

Curacao is great! Biggest disappointment was St. Lucia. Missed being able to get into the water.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 04:06 AM
DMN

St. Lucia and Tortola.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 05:19 AM
?

Thank you x, AC and DMN<BR>I thought I was only one disappointed with St. Lucia

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 05:51 AM
Lisa S.

I was very disappointed in Aruba. It was so deserty and there we alot of stray dogs and cats! The beaches we're O.K. but not as pretty as Grand Cayman!! We heard alot of good things about Aruba but we really didn't like it!! Loved Grand Cayman!!!

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 09:09 AM
jen

I didn't really enjoy too much about grand cayman, besides stingrays. It was not very lively and besides a few shops, there wasn't a lot to do in town.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 10:58 AM
janet

I hear the same comment Lisa made about Aruba so often that it really makes me wonder, doesn't anyone research their vacations before paying for them?<BR>The FIRST thing you always read about Aruba is that it's a desert islsnd.<BR>Why should anyone be surprised by this?<BR>And if someone doesn't want that type of environment, why would they bother to go, (unless it was on a cruise itinerary)?<BR>

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 08:17 PM
sue

Las Vagas is also a desert and is a popular resort area so don't knock Aruba. Try Maui is you want beauty, but it is too money.....motivated. I go on vaction for fun and relaxtion. Aruba has great a great nite life, is safe, and clean. They know how to make the tourist happy with entertaiment...

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 09:02 PM
Ian

Jamaica and Cuba were great disappointments.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 04:46 AM
Pebbles

Most disappointing was Aruba. The wind blew us off the beach and the flying sand. More commercial than expected and restaurants were pretty medicore at best. Didn't realize that it would be so overdeveloped and so many crowds even on the beach but it wouldn't be one of your choices since you want a less traveled place. Curacao was just as windy.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 06:19 AM
pam

Aruba. Glad I've been there once but I don't want to come back again.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 06:45 AM
Jackie

one happy island? hate to see an unhappy one. not very friendly or welcoming compared to other islands. had a good time despite the atmosphere and attitude but would not return

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 06:47 AM
Nancy

J,<BR>There are a few we enjoyed immensely but would not go back to...<BR>Antigua - locals a little frosty<BR>Tobago - no (at the time) luxury ocean front resorts<BR>Anguilla - not much to do<BR>Some of the least developed islands are favorites among people who have traveled the region extensively. <BR>For example, you will get a lot of very positive feedback on Anguilla just because it has such beautiful beaches and great restaurants, but for us, it was a little too quiet.<BR>It all depends on what YOU like and are looking for as far as what you would enjoy!<BR>Tell us what you like to do, and I'm sure you will get some suggestions on what less-developed island to visit.<BR><BR>

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 08:23 AM
Syndy

To Nancy:<BR>In defense of Tobago, the island is NOT about "luxury ocean front resorts". Most of the hotels are small,owner operated hotels which add to the untouched, uncommercilaised feel of the island.Granted it isn't for everyone, but I am glad there aren't any Sandals or Breezes on any beach in Tobago. All the best beaches are open to the public and anyone can enjoy them without the polution of hotels and large resorts.<BR><BR>There are a few "luxury" resorts that have opened recently, Hilton Tobago is the most recent but most travellers that visit Tobago don't come to stay cocooned in their hotel. People who visit both Tobago and it's sister island of Trinidad are travellers not tourists. That's why travel channel featured Tobago on it's world best Secret Beaches series, the beauty of the Island is still very much a secret!<BR><BR>And as for Antigua, the locals were nothing but nice to me! Even before I got there I made friends.I believe it's how you treat people, you get treated the same in return. I met the Minsiter of Culture who invited me to one of their Carnival shows and lots of very nice Antiguans who were proud to show off their country.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 08:54 AM
linda

Whoever said Tortola must not have researched it before going. No, they don't have glitz or shopping, but it is the most beautiful, friendly, safe place I've enjoyed. Perfect pace. Great beach bars. No chains, fast food. <BR>

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 08:59 AM
twinkletoes

Tortola is not known for its many great beaches. There are a couple of nice ones but for those seeking wonderful beaches or luxury resorts better look to the other BVI that still have some of the pristine splendour. Great place to sail from though!

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 09:58 AM
Nancy

To Syndy,<BR>I find your tone condescending.<BR>I've been to 25 to 30 of the islands. I researched Tobago exhaustively before we went and was disappointed with the hotel we stayed in - Grafton Beach - not the island itself. They mislead me to believe it was oceanfront, when in fact it is across the street from the water. Also, it was billed as a luxury resort, and it was quite grubby. I know how great Tobago is - that's WHY we went. The Hilton was not there at that time (as I indicated). My point was that anyone looking for luxury will not find much to choose from on Tobago.<BR>As far as your statement about friendliness goes, I do not agree. Yes, in most cases, people are friendly to you if you walk around with a smile and are thoughtful of those around you. But that's not always the case. I said I found many people in Antigua to be "frosty," and I stand by that impression. Most of the places we've been, we've made friends that we remain in contact with long after our vacation. Actually, we had a couple we met in Tobago and their 2 kids to visit us here in the States.<BR>If people on a particular island are used to being overrun with cruise ships or loud tourists, they may be harder to get to know and be less likely to begin a conversation. That was my impression of Antigua - accurate or not.<BR><BR><BR>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -