Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Looking for the perfect destination to bring a family of 7!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have 5 kids between: 3,11,13,14,and 16! We are looking for a sun destination in November coming from Edmonton. An all-inclusive would be great, I think. There is even a possibility that we may actually get married!
Please give me your "ideal" destinations to take our "large" family. Thanks!
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 08:00 AM

Cost-wise and activity-wise, I would suggest Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic or Playa del Carmen in Mexican Caribbean.
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 09:19 AM

We have been to the Atlantis on Paradise Island twice now. Once with our 4 kids and sister's family with they were 12-22 and once with our grown kids. It was their very favorite both times. You can find specials, but we actually stayed at the Comfort Suites right next door that is also owned by the Atlantis. You get a very nice breakfast included in the package. We stayed four to a room and the room charge was $149 per room. That was this past January. The Comfort Suites is actually as close to the Atlantis main lobby as some part of the Atlantis. There was no all inclusive available. We walked the bridge into Nasaau (10 minutes) and went to a nice Chinese restaurant, Outback Steakhouse, a good pizza place. You can do so much for free with the water slides and such that we didn't do any paid activities. But we'd done snorkeling and all that in the past. Go to the website and check out the Atlantis. Do not book the Comfort Suites through their website or you'll pay more. I first checked sites like travelocity and orbitz and got the best price and then called Comfort Inn and they matched it. You can also get some very good rates on cruises at vacationsexpress.com . We've also done that and if you get the right ship, it's great. It would be expensive to take the kids on excursions. Good Luck
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 12:53 PM

At Beaches, we saw several beautiful family weddings. A dream, bcs there is no work involved on your part. We preferred the Jamaica Beaches to the Turks & Caicos property. Also in Jamaica, the romantic couple could easily escape the kids and go to one of the all-adult Sandals resorts for dinner. Also, Jamaica is probably comparatively easy to get to from Edmonton.
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 01:13 PM

Look into the Radisson Cable Beach. They have a very reasonable all inclusive package that would be nice for a family. We stayed there last April and really enjoyed it. We don't have children but there were an equal amount of families and singles. They have several dining choices that would be good for families. Check Liberty Travel's web site they often have great specials.
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 01:23 PM

To Lois, would you tell me why you liked Jamaica Beaches better than Turks and Caicos? I am dubious of an AI, but as always willing to try anything. Everything I have read is that Turks is best. Thanks!
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 01:19 AM

save ur money go 2 dominican republic,Punta Cana is great or try the Iberostar Dominicus in LaRomano.both have good childrens activities.Good luck!!
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 11:45 AM

To Wills, we liked Beaches Negril better because we thought Turks was too much like Disney World. We prefer the atmosphere of a relaxed, charming Caribbean resort to a too-big resort, reminiscent of Orlando except hotter in the midday sun; topography of Jamaica is also better than T&C (more hills, greener), and also the snorkeling was better at Negril. Also the food seemed better at Negril. I also thought it would be a nice benefit for the honeymooning couple to be able to take advantage of the adults-only Sandals resorts in Jamaica for dinner, or a little break from the kids.
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 04:20 PM

sauerpus (love that sn)
you might enjoy secret harbor on st. thomas. smaller resort and quite safe for kids. nereby ai's have water toys. you can dive and snorkel right out of the club. accomodations would be side by side,full kitchen condos.also on site blue moon cafe- one of best on island. it would be a lovely beach to marry on if you decide to do so.(and if you've never been in the islands you might as well just plan the event now. it is notably romantic on every island i've been to-can't actually explain, but i'm pretty sure if you're already considering that you're gonna get all dreamy eyed and go for it- so grab an outfit) jamaica is gorgeous but i do have to say there is no way they have superior diving or snorkeling to T&C. T&C has beter water clarity,the reefs are some of the most alive in the world,and the access to walk in snorkeling is abundent. however this may not be an interest for your fam. cost wise diana is on the money so to speak. enjoy the planning but try to pick an island and then start the real research, otherwise it can get really overwhelming.