Hawk's Nest Inn on Cat Island

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2003, 09:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone who's stayed at Hawk's Nest ever seen families with kids? Given there is a two bedroom house available at the resort, I wondered if it would be a place my family could go, snorkel, explore and beachcomb, while my husband bonefishes. We have three kids 7, 10, and 13.

Would they be bored or viewed as a nuisance to other guests?
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 06:24 AM

Hi there! We stayed at Hawks Nest for 10 days in 2000 and loved it. We were there in the off season, and as it turns out it was just us, another couple and a single guy there for the entire time. The Point House, which is what you would be renting, is very nice. We went inside while there to check it out. It has a phenomenal deck with lovely lounge chairs and a BBQ, with a view of Exuma Sound that it fantastic. There are lots of places to explore, and one of the best is the snorkeling about 10 yards from the Point House. Also, there is another beach where at low tide you can walk in crystal clear water up to your knees and go out to sand bars and dig for sand dollars. You can also use their kayaks and explore Hawks Nest River, which has some fantastic birdlife. I don't think your children will be bored. You can also rent a vehicle and explore the island, stopping at many beaches or hiking to Hermitage which, at 206 feet above sea level, is the highest point in the Bahamas. In the clubhouse, there is a rather extensive video collection which may be good for your kids to keep them occupied at night. The managers, Brian and Jennifer, are young, enthusiastic and professional and will do anything to help your stay be as nice as it can be. I would have no qualms about returning to Cat Island ... perhaps I can become an instant member of your family? 8-) I would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have. If not, have a wonderful, wonderful trip.
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. Sounds wonderful! My family would probably love that. Did you see any of the Fernandez Bay resort also on Cat while you were there? It also looks interesting and perhaps a little larger (15 individual cottages). Just trying to compare and contrast before we make a decision. The Hawk's Nest Creek is what really appeals to me. Kayaking and exploring the mangroves, fishing, etc. There is a pool at Hawk's Nest, correct? By off-season, do you mean June/July?
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 07:38 AM

Hi there! One day while driving around the island, we stopped at Fernandez Bay for lunch. It looked nice and the food was good, however, I got the feeling that there was more of a "singles" feel to the place. I just didn't get a family feel from the place. I think the beauty of Hawks Nest is the choice you have for privacy. Various beaches to just have to yourself. Fernandez Bay is on a lovely stretch of beach, but that is the only one we saw for the resort. Whereas Hawks Nest, there are several to chose from, all of which have huts to protect from the sun. Some are smaller than others, but at least there is a choice. One of the couples staying there when we were there was an actor - from a soap opera - and his girlfriend, so there really is a sense of privacy. When we stayed at Hawks Nest there was not a pool, but there is one now. Brian told us the pool was going to be right next to the clubhouse, which would be good for you to be able to keep an eye on your kids while they are in the pool. The river was great, although my husband and I discovered we are "kayak challenged." We had fun though. When you come out of the tidal river, you can go to one of the most secluded beaches I have ever seen, accessible only by kayak or boat. The kids would find it a great adventure, I would think. We were there in early October 2000.
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 07:45 PM
Original Poster

Wow! Sounds great. I have e-mailed the Hawk's Nest with some specific questions. It sounds very intriguing. Interesting what you said about Fernandez Bay. They seem to sell themselves to families a little more. But your point about multiple private beaches is convincing. We'll see how it all turns out. We're also looking at Cape Santa Maria on Long Island.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 05:24 AM

Good luck with your planning. I too looked at Cape Santa Maria but decided against that as my husband and I like water that is as smooth as glass. My research showed the water at Cape Santa Maria was more rough. Again, good luck with your planning and if you do end up at Hawks Nest, please let me know what you thought of it. As an aside, the Point House at Hawks Nest is a bit of a ways from the rest of the accommodations, so if you are worried about your children disrupting anyone, they wouldn't at the Point House. Cheers!